ImageImage

Trade Official: Lue/Cash (Not CV) for Bogans

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Re: Trade Official: Lue/Cash (Not CV) for Bogans 

Post#101 » by apdamico » Thu Feb 5, 2009 9:56 pm

Associated Press now also verifiying that we are the team getting the CASH. On a lighter note, Skiles thinks T. Lue will make an excellent coach some day.

Code: Select all

Print Associated Press  (Updated: February 5, 2009, 4:37 PM ET)

MILWAUKEE -- The Orlando Magic and Milwaukee Bucks each had what the other needed -- a role player who could provide depth at key positions in their injury-plagued backcourts.

Lue played for the Magic during the 2003-04 season.  Orlando traded shooting guard Keith Bogans to Milwaukee for point guard Tyronn Lue on Thursday after the Southeast Division-leading Magic lost All-Star Jameer Nelson to a serious shoulder injury.

Milwaukee, which also got cash in the deal, is without top scorer Michael Redd for the rest of the season after he tore ligaments in his left knee in a win against Sacramento on Jan. 24.

"Tyronn is a veteran point guard who fits in well with our style of play," Magic general manager Otis Smith said in a statement. "He shoots well from 3-point range and adds needed depth at that position."

The Bucks are also missing center Andrew Bogut for eight weeks with a stress fracture in his back. Even with the injuries, Milwaukee remains tied for eighth in the Eastern Conference.

General manager John Hammond quickly pointed out that Bogans isn't replacing Redd but that he can earn significant minutes in the role Redd vacated.

"He fills a need for us," Hammond said. "They have a need there with Jameer out right now to have Ty help them some at the point guard spot. We have a need here with Keith with Michael being out."

Nelson tore the labrum in his right shoulder in Orlando's 105-95 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Monday night. He is deciding over the next few weeks whether to have season-ending surgery or hold off and attempt rehabilitation.

Lue has played 30 games this season for Milwaukee, averaging 4.7 points and 1.5 assists while sitting on the bench behind Luke Ridnour and Ramon Sessions.

Lue, an 11-year veteran of six teams, played 76 games in his first stint with the Magic in 2003-04 and will help backup point guard Anthony Johnson.

Johnson played well in his new role replacing Nelson, at least for a night. He had a season-high 25 points in the Magic's 125-96 win over the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday.

But the Magic (37-11) will face tougher competition than the Clippers, and a steady backup point guard should help them contend with the Boston Celtics and Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference.

The Magic used several combinations of point guards against the Clippers, including Johnson, shooting guards Courtney Lee and J.J. Redick and 6-foot-10 forward Hedo Turkoglu.

Lue will help settle the rotation.

"He was fantastic," Bucks coach Scott Skiles said of Lue. "I know ultimately he wants to coach when he's done playing. I think he'd be an excellent coach. I was very fond of him."

Bogans, expected to join Milwaukee on Friday, has played 36 games, including 15 starts, this season for Orlando and is averaging 5.3 points and 3.1 rebounds.

He's bound to get more playing time in Milwaukee while the Bucks try to find a way to win without Redd or Bogut and keep their postseason hopes afloat.

"He has size, he can make the corner 3, he's an athletic, wing-defending type player, which we need in our division, so we'll see," Skiles said.

Read the comments and add Lue to the list of Skiles-type players!
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#102 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:02 pm

I wouldn't have been surprised one bit if we really were the ones sending the cash. What does that tell you?
Go Bucks!
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#103 » by JoeHova » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:05 pm

I'd rather have kept Lue, but I guess it doesn't matter much either way. Bogans is a terrible offensive player but it looks like he finally realizes that because he's reduced his shot attempts per minute to a career low this year. He better keep that up in Milwaukee. Anyway, I just hope that Bogans doesn't cut into Sessions' minutes.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,609

Post#104 » by SOUL » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:07 pm

I'm sure you guys dont care about my thoughts on a scrub, but I hated Bogans... can't make a layup to save his life (and usually AIRBALLS a layup once a game, no typo.. airball), really streaky and doesn't hustle... BUT he has the tools to explode for good shooting nights, real decent rebounder and a solid defender. Problem is people just lit him up for some reason on our team even though he played pretty solid D.
blueedwards
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#105 » by blueedwards » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:08 pm

Redd Shaman wrote:best trade we made all year.

Could of been even better if we added Allen to the mix and received expiring Foyle. :lol:
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#106 » by Captain Erv » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:13 pm

Soul wrote:I'm sure you guys dont care about my thoughts on a scrub, but I hated Bogans... can't make a layup to save his life (and usually AIRBALLS a layup once a game, no typo.. airball), really streaky and doesn't hustle... BUT he has the tools to explode for good shooting nights, real decent rebounder and a solid defender. Problem is people just lit him up for some reason on our team even though he played pretty solid D.

Thanks for the input. Frankly, it doesn't matter anyway. We aren't going anywhere and he won't be back with us next year. It will be a very short stint in Milwaukee for Mr. Bogans.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#107 » by aboveAverage » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:13 pm

Lol at the title of the thread

"Lue/Cash (Not CV) for Bogans"
:)
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#108 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:32 pm

It is an excellent Skiles type player and 'bit deal' for us. I like it a lot. It won't make me go out and buy a ticket much less a playoff one, but as a basketball fan and a Bucks' fan who likes good deals that was a good one.

This the kind of guy you should have brought in at the start of the season. A flat out Warrior. I love his game.

Not a real 'head turning' deal, but one of those deals for a player that would help 'if' you were in the hunt. But if you are not, Keith blends in with the program and keeps you status quo.

It is much like the Hawks pick up of Flip Murrary and Maurice Evans after Josh Childress had bolted. We will have to build on this though.

Solid.

Great defender, great competitor, tough, physical, an in your face, body to body, get in your face and jersyey type 'man up' defender. Keith is not soft. He is afraid to challenge teamates and his energy rubs off on those around him and he plays with an old school edge.

A catylst at the defenisve end and not a bad jump shot either. He plays within himself and knows his limitations. Doesn't take dumb shots or make dumb plays. He does not cheay you or beat you when he is on the floor.

Bogans can shoot when he is open, pass when he is not and if he has a good look, knock down a jumper and even a 3pt shot. He can be a streak shooter but knows when he is not on and can and will give up the rock.

He would have really toughen up Redd in practice as well as I am one to think you need a vet who can practice well and play the say way in the practices if not harder then he does in games.

Those practice players are rare with this new school crowd in the NBA now who like to coast and do not know how to take care of their bodies and get some sleep (alone) and leave the groupies alone at times I bet.

But...as I drift back on the topic at hand....We we drafted him out of Kentucky in the second round.

I don't know why in the world we let him go in the first place, just like I don't know why we let or traded fellow Bucks' second rounders Jason Hart, Rafer 'Skip to my Lou' Alston and Flip Murrary to go?

Good deal for both teams. But Keith won't help us win anymore games now then if we kept Lue, now that Bogut and Redd are out. I liked Bogans and Mo Evans from that team in Orlando last year.

Now Bogans' morale has to be in question as he is leaving a title contender to come to a lottery team. I would have rather the Bucks' brought back Royal Ivey or made a play for Earl Boykins then bring in Lue. But Lue is a Pro's pro...and will do well in Orlando.

I wish him well...Good deal.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Re: Trade Official: Lue for Bogans/Cash 

Post#109 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:34 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:The scary part is that Lue could have been part of some bigger trades along the lines of what people on here would like to see. Instead he's used in this small trade that would appear to signal "Win Now"

Yeah, that's the only aspect of this trade that I don't like. Now we don't don't get to aggregate Lue's salary with other salaries in a trade, and while we can still package Bogans with other players, we won't be able to aggregate his salary with other salaries because of his trade restriction.

But apart from that, I am fine with this trade. It balances the roster better for the rest of the season. How much I like this deal is very dependent on how much cash we received. If all we got was cash to cover the difference in salary, then I am disappointed that we didn't receive more of a benefit. But if we got that, plus an additional $500k at least, then I think this was definitely a good trade for us.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,925

Post#110 » by stellation » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:35 pm

trwi7 wrote:
stellation wrote:I actually would have prefered Redick. Seriously.

Bogans "fits" better.

I'm sure my countrymen will all be in agreement, with Andrew on the team you already had a bogan.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#111 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:38 pm

M. Pemulis wrote:How does a guy shooting 36% from the field get 22 minutes per with the Magic?
Because he defends man...and competes.

He is never out of position defensively and that team does not really need for him to be a great shooter or even a decent one.

But a willing one if he is open and can hit a shot or two and makes it hard for teams double the others. He is there to to keeps teams honest and to spread the floor for Howard and Rashard.

His contribution is the defense and strong rebounding for a guard along with his physicality. A good team player who knows how to play the game and is a 'big guard.'
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#112 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:44 pm

any thoughts on Lue?

WIth Bogans, the Bucks will get a descent role player who defend and shoot the 3. Other than that there's not much to speak of about Bogans other then he's just an expiring.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#113 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:44 pm

BigAlHorfordROY wrote:So does Bogans start at the 2 guard, or do you think Sessions will still be starting?
Oh please, Sessions should be dumped or traded. Skiles does not like him as a player. I can tell.

You fans do for some reason...but he does not. I think he is lucky to be in the NBA on a bad team.
The Bucks' had better not resign him next year.

Bogans who won't be happy coming in, should start. But maybe Bogans was acquired to move him agian in a package to get a guy like Amare?

I sure hope so...but doubt it.
MAcGyver24
Banned User

Post#114 » by MAcGyver24 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:48 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:any thoughts on Lue?

WIth Bogans, the Bucks will get a descent role player who defend and shoot the 3. Other than that there's not much to speak of about Bogans other then he's just an expiring.

protects the ball and will hit the open three most of the time..solid #3 pg now he is your back up......playing around that talent in Orlando he should fit in just nice.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#115 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:53 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:This is like using Scotch tape on a knife wound

ROFLMAOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Great analogy!

You clown... :clown:

Teehee... :lol:
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#116 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 11:03 pm

In the article, I found this quote from Skiles interesting.

"He has size, he can make the corner 3, he's an athletic, wing-defending type player, which we need in our division, so we'll see," Skiles said.

Note the bolded part. Not to rehash whether we needed Redd or not, but it has seemed to me that Skiles really wants his SG to primarily defend and be able to hit the corner three. Whether it was Redd, Bell, or Sessions playing SG, in many sets, that guy just sits in the corner.

It's plausible Skiles has gotten a guy that could function in his system better than what he was getting from Ramon and Bell and for a much cheaper price than Redd.

If this move works for us for the next couple games, I still think he'll consider doubling down then and trying to get either Camby (for CV/Damon) or Brad Miller (in three way RJ trade) at the deadline.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#117 » by pasting_monkeys » Thu Feb 5, 2009 11:19 pm

This was a trade based on need.

We needed to add a SG with size, and we needed to add another perimeter shooter.

With Redd gone, our biggest SG's were Sessions/Bell, and I don't know about you, but i got sick of watching Sessions getting posted up by just about every New Jersey SG a couple nights ago. Even Trenton Hassell had a go, and when Trenton Hassell is a mismatch then you know you've got some problems.

I quite liked the Bogans of last year, and if Skiles can bring out the defender in him, and use him strictly as a jump shooter. Then he'll be useful.

Smart trade in my opinion. It improves our defense at the 2, helps us space the floor, makes us more competitive, and it's an expiring.

A lot of people have said that Bogans will not be happy here. Granted, his championship hopes have now been shattered, but Bogans was basically out of the rotation in Orlando with the emergence of Courtney Lee and the return of Pietrus. With the Bucks he has an opportunity to play 20mins per game, and seeing that he's in a contract year, court time is a real motivator.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#118 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 11:48 pm

Think about this part II to the trade (that probably won't happen)

Sessions/Alexander/Gadz/Allen to Memphis for Conley/Darko

There is your "win-now but try to also get young talent with set contracts that keeps us under the luxury tax move" that we would be known for. Now you would have the room to keep CV this summer most likely and have a shot-blocker in Darko on the front line.

I don't like the deal, but just thinking of one that could be plausible.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#119 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Feb 6, 2009 12:00 am

paulpressey25 wrote:In the article, I found this quote from Skiles interesting.

Note the bolded part. Not to rehash whether we needed Redd or not, but it has seemed to me that Skiles really wants his SG to primarily defend and be able to hit the corner three. Whether it was Redd, Bell, or Sessions playing SG, in many sets, that guy just sits in the corner.

It's plausible Skiles has gotten a guy that could function in his system better than what he was getting from Ramon and Bell and for a much cheaper price than Redd.

If this move works for us for the next couple games, I still think he'll consider doubling down then and trying to get either Camby (for CV/Damon) or Brad Miller (in three way RJ trade) at the deadline.

Alright, I'll try to find some silver lining based on the above...

Perhaps part of the reason why RJ so frequently just camps out in the corner (especially when Sessions is in at SG) is because Skiles' plays have one of the wings camping out in the corner. Obviously, between RJ and Sessions, RJ is the guy you'd want in that position compared to Sessions. When Bogans is in at SG alongside RJ, Bogans can camp in the corner and RJ can play the more diverse role on offense. Just a thought.

That said, even with Bogans on the team, I'd rather just not play him and instead give whatever minutes he'd get to Ridnour, Sessions, Bell, Mbah A Moute, Jefferson, and Alexander.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach

Post#120 » by Fight the Tank » Fri Feb 6, 2009 12:05 am

How bout CV/Jones/Allen for Camby/Novak? Then this offseason you use Camby and Ridnour's expiring for Stoudemire.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks