Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Re: INTRODUCING NBAREFSTATS.COM 

Post#21 » by chuckleslove » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 pm

drew881 wrote:
SCassell19 wrote:
drew881 wrote:Cool idea, although it will never get as much traffic it deserves unless you have ALL NBA teams. From the way it sounds, you have to manually add each game in from box scores you find online. Is there anyway to automate this process with box scores found online?

If you included all teams with stats for each, you could definitely get a good fan base going, and instead of spending all your time adding stats, you could spend your time writing little pieces about questionable games.

Some I can copy and paste but some has to be manually done. Certain boxscores can be tough to find.

I meant even beyond the ease of copying and pasting...having a program collect the data for you. For instance, how do various website such as Espn.com, Yahoo sports, etc. collect all their data. I doubt it is some dude(s) averaging out stats for every player after every game, but rather they have some sort of computer program sort out all the stats. Again, if you don't have a background in programming (I certainly don't) it would probably be way too hard, but maybe you could find someone who is interested in the topic to help out. With some effort, you could switch your role from compiler, to the more important task of analyzing the statistics.

Somewhere at least on some level at least one person is entering the stats into the computers. Now what sort of XML/RSS feeds and other methods of abstracting those to other websites I'm not sure but someone is indeed manually entering every single stat into at least one computer source. Now if there is a website that allows you to take that from them and feed it into your own website using XML or some other source well that I don't know because I haven't done a bit of programming since I finished getting my college degree in programming and ended up hating it :P but I would imagine there is something available to get.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#22 » by ACGB » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:30 pm

I had to chuckle at all the hate we've given Violet Palmer over the years but we're the most successful when she is around. :)
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#23 » by Newz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:37 pm

ACGB wrote:I had to chuckle at all the hate we've given Violet Palmer over the years but we're the most successful when she is around. :)

Violet Palmer is the worst official ever. Even if she wanted to fix games for big markets, she would still probably **** it up. :D
SCassell19
Junior
And1: 11

Post#24 » by SCassell19 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:10 pm

chuckleslove wrote:
drew881 wrote:
I meant even beyond the ease of copying and pasting...having a program collect the data for you. For instance, how do various website such as Espn.com, Yahoo sports, etc. collect all their data. I doubt it is some dude(s) averaging out stats for every player after every game, but rather they have some sort of computer program sort out all the stats. Again, if you don't have a background in programming (I certainly don't) it would probably be way too hard, but maybe you could find someone who is interested in the topic to help out. With some effort, you could switch your role from compiler, to the more important task of analyzing the statistics.

Somewhere at least on some level at least one person is entering the stats into the computers. Now what sort of XML/RSS feeds and other methods of abstracting those to other websites I'm not sure but someone is indeed manually entering every single stat into at least one computer source. Now if there is a website that allows you to take that from them and feed it into your own website using XML or some other source well that I don't know because I haven't done a bit of programming since I finished getting my college degree in programming and ended up hating it :P but I would imagine there is something available to get.

I know nothing about any of that, so for now its going to have to be manual.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#25 » by rrravenred » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Put a shout out on the Statistical Analysis board for you. Some of the heavyweights from there get involved them your dataset will fill up quickly!

You might want to put in some descriptors for "Questionable" games, though, just so that people know it's serious statistics rather than just one fan's whine...
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#26 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Your work is appreciated SCassell.... :D

:wink: Great job.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,035

Post#27 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Your work is appreciated SCassell.... :D

:wink: Great job.

Shortest post in MBOT's history.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Fight the Tank » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Two emoticons and 7 words though.

Also I referenced the 1-16 record (during our good years) and -346 ft differential with Bavetta and he lost it. That is a lot of smoke.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#29 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:53 am

I sent Sparky an email about this and he just referenced nbarefstats.com during the Pro Hoops Show and asked Hammond about it.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
SCassell19
Junior

Post#30 » by SCassell19 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 am

rrravenred wrote:You might want to put in some descriptors for "Questionable" games, though, just so that people know it's serious statistics rather than just one fan's whine...

There is a key. If you scroll to under the stats it explains what a questionable game so everyone knows all the stats are based on a statistical criteria and not opinion.

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I sent Sparky an email about this and he just referenced nbarefstats.com during the Pro Hoops Show and asked Hammond about it.

Was Sparky hinting that games might be fixed or anything like that? If so, what was Hammond saying?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,789

Post#31 » by Ayt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:30 am

LUKE23 wrote:You need to get all the information you can and then get it tied to a widely read NBA blog (with you as a source, obviously).

Like Mark Cuban's. He's been pushing for a revamped reffing setup for years. They basically have no oversight right now.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#32 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:43 am

SCassell19 wrote:
rrravenred wrote:You might want to put in some descriptors for "Questionable" games, though, just so that people know it's serious statistics rather than just one fan's whine...

There is a key. If you scroll to under the stats it explains what a questionable game so everyone knows all the stats are based on a statistical criteria and not opinion.

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I sent Sparky an email about this and he just referenced nbarefstats.com during the Pro Hoops Show and asked Hammond about it.

Was Sparky hinting that games might be fixed or anything like that? If so, what was Hammond saying?

They discussed the refs topic throughout the majority of the show.
I emailed him about your site near the end of the show, which is when he mentioned it.

I would urge anyone who missed the show to listen to the podcast of the entire show. Especially you, SCassell19, since this topic is obviously very pertinent to what you're doing.

http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/bucks_p ... psshow.mp3
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
SCassell19
Junior

Post#33 » by SCassell19 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:12 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
SCassell19 wrote:

They discussed the refs topic throughout the majority of the show.
I emailed him about your site near the end of the show, which is when he mentioned it.

I would urge anyone who missed the show to listen to the podcast of the entire show. Especially you, SCassell19, since this topic is obviously very pertinent to what you're doing.

http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/bucks_p ... psshow.mp3

Hammond suggested that the Bucks have a poor record in Bavetta games due to the fact that the Bucks just have a poor record overall so the Bucks will have a poor record with many refs. This is true, but in response to this I will be doing a study just into the years when the Bucks have a .500+ record. The Bucks have a better record in the sub .500 years than they do in the .500+ years with Bavetta reffing. This will force a different theory to explain Bavetta's numbers as im pretty sure that there wont be too many refs who will come close to matching Bavettas numbers during these years.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#34 » by Jez2983 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

Absolutely brilliant job. Just looking at the huge amount of raw data you have here you truly have spent a huge amount of time on this and I thank you for sharing this with us.

Incidentally, at the end of a long day's work I have difficulty maintaining attention on a screen full of numbers so I'll have to look on the weekend :wink:
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#35 » by upnorthfan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:08 pm

SCassell19 wrote:After last nights debacle I busted ass and got the site up and running. Its a litle raw, but the stats are up.

You can view stats for all 117 refs who have reffed Bucks games from 1991-92 through 2008-09.
You can view the stats in a sorted format to see who "leads the league" in certain categories.
You can see each refs complete gamelog.
You can see the Bucks complete gamelog since 91-92.
You can see the Bucks stats vs each team.

Since you are able to view the gamelog it means that you guys can do your own research and find new trends.

Ask any questions and let me know any suggestions that you have. I have ideas of stuff to put on the site, but of course it all takes time. If anyone would like to help compile stats, LMK.

http://www.nbarefstats.com

Haven't looked at it yet, but will after I say thank you. I am on a few sites talking about officiating, and have been for a few years. In fact, the official NBA Referee site of the NBA shut their forum portion of their site because I was ripping them a new one for two months right before the Donaghy scandal broke.

If I use these stats, who do I give credit too? Thanks.
John Doe [MIN]
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#36 » by John Doe [MIN] » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 pm

My God. I really should have been a Bucks fan. I can't begin to imagine just how much work it must have been to set this up and assemble all the data. Bravo sir.

If you really want to go somewhere with this site, you ought to look at this current product as stage one. Stage two would be for you to set up a blog of sorts in which you select a particularly interesting statistic to highlight. Really, a wall of numbers like this is going to bounce off the faces of most people who look at it. A series of posts in which the most suspicious were explained, gradually broken down from complex numbers into easy to understand words would do a great deal of good for the cause.

An essential component would be further analysis of specific trends, matching them to distribution models, calculating their goodness, examining confidence intervals... Basically, look into the type of stuff that could be shown to a conspiracy skeptic whose first response will inevitably be "this is just the result of random chance." where you could fire back, "actually the data for all the referees fits into this distribution, and referee X's sample point falls Y standard deviations away from the mean, which means that, if he were refereeing completely impartially, there is a Z% chance he would have produced these numbers."

And I won't be so insensitive as to suggest that you should expand this to the entire NBA, in light of all the work it's surely taken you to get this far. But oh, can you imagine?
SCassell19
Junior

Post#37 » by SCassell19 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:30 pm

upnorthfan wrote:If I use these stats, who do I give credit too? Thanks.

Just reference and link the site.

John Doe [MN] wrote:My God. I really should have been a Bucks fan. I can't begin to imagine just how much work it must have been to set this up and assemble all the data. Bravo sir.

If you really want to go somewhere with this site, you ought to look at this current product as stage one. Stage two would be for you to set up a blog of sorts in which you select a particularly interesting statistic to highlight. Really, a wall of numbers like this is going to bounce off the faces of most people who look at it. A series of posts in which the most suspicious were explained, gradually broken down from complex numbers into easy to understand words would do a great deal of good for the cause.

An essential component would be further analysis of specific trends, matching them to distribution models, calculating their goodness, examining confidence intervals... Basically, look into the type of stuff that could be shown to a conspiracy skeptic whose first response will inevitably be "this is just the result of random chance." where you could fire back, "actually the data for all the referees fits into this distribution, and referee X's sample point falls Y standard deviations away from the mean, which means that, if he were refereeing completely impartially, there is a Z% chance he would have produced these numbers."

And I won't be so insensitive as to suggest that you should expand this to the entire NBA, in light of all the work it's surely taken you to get this far. But oh, can you imagine?

I have written things breaking down numbers on this board. Ill be putting them up on the site soon. I will be doing different "studies" into the numbers to break things down. Right now I just want to increase the raw data. As the data increases then it makes more studies possible.
SCassell19
Junior

Post#38 » by SCassell19 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Check it out:

http://www.nbarefstats.com/refstandings_milwaukee.htm

Let me know if I did a good job explaining these standings.
upnorthfan
Banned User

Post#39 » by upnorthfan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:04 pm

SCassell19 wrote:

John Doe [MN] wrote:My God. I really should have been a Bucks fan. I can't begin to imagine just how much work it must have been to set this up and assemble all the data. Bravo sir.

I have written things breaking down numbers on this board. Ill be putting them up on the site soon. I will be doing different "studies" into the numbers to break things down. Right now I just want to increase the raw data. As the data increases then it makes more studies possible.

You sound like Charlie on Numbers. One of my favorite shows.
upnorthfan
Banned User

Post#40 » by upnorthfan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:08 pm

SCassell19 wrote:

Ok, I did that yesterday so if you can count visitors you should have a nice bump in visit counts :)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks