ImageImage

Jennings is a horrible shooter: T or F?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: Jennings is a horrible shooter: T or F? 

Post#41 » by europa » Tue Jan 5, 2010 3:05 pm

Newz wrote:
europa wrote:Yup. The scary thing is the Bucks are heavily dependent upon a 40% FG shooter to be one of their top scorers. Put better talent around Jennings and I think we'll see his FG% improve. Maybe he won't ever be a great shooter, but I do think he can get to the 43-44% range at least if he's not put in a position where he has to shoot a lot and if he learns how to take better shots.

I also think that if he gets more talent around him he will take less shots and his shot selection will improve. So not only will he become a better shooter over time (as most players do as they go into their prime), but he will be able to distribute more and shoot less, thus leading to a higher FG%.

I agree. However, I do think the pick-and-roll awareness I mentioned earlier is something he can improve upon now. That's on him, not the talent around him. But I agree that if the Bucks improve their talent base, Jennings will feel less pressure to have to score a lot.
Nothing will not break me.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#42 » by Newz » Tue Jan 5, 2010 3:11 pm

europa wrote:I agree. However, I do think the pick-and-roll awareness I mentioned earlier is something he can improve upon now. That's on him, not the talent around him. But I agree that if the Bucks improve their talent base, Jennings will feel less pressure to have to score a lot.

I agree. He tends to find guys for open jumpers way, way more than he finds guys cutting to the basket.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,037

Post#43 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 5, 2010 3:25 pm

The only reason I brought this up is because of so many misconceptions from looking at the box score. People say he's has a bad shot and his percentage won't go up. What does form have to do with FG% when it really is being brought down by layups?

Let the man shoot. He is a good shooter, he just needs to lay off the floaters. Those are what are killing him. Either draw a foul or dish the ball.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#44 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 7:09 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:I laugh :rofl: now but it was not funny then. But the only thing and sport I do left handed now is golf and batting in baseball. So I know there is a difference.
Name me a great lefty shooter since Gail Goodrich? Lanier? Cowens? John Lucas? Van Exel? Fomer Bucks guard Nate 'Tiny' Archibald?
There are many. I've gone to Hoopedia and looked...so there is still time.

Michael Redd is a pretty good lefty as well. Same with Manu and Chris Bosh. Josh Smith too.

But maybe we draft Xavier Henry and we have a lefty backcourt to stay. I'm cool with that.

Maybe the best lefty of all time:

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,505

Post#45 » by Bernman » Tue Jan 5, 2010 7:13 pm

Lefties are disproportionately streaky to righties? I'd love to see data for that because I've seen nothing to indicate that from years of watching basketball and there's no logical reason to think it would be true.

As for Brandon Jennings' shooting ability, simply: good shooter, bad selection
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,726

Post#46 » by msiris » Tue Jan 5, 2010 7:25 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:The only reason I brought this up is because of so many misconceptions from looking at the box score. People say he's has a bad shot and his percentage won't go up. What does form have to do with FG% when it really is being brought down by layups?

Let the man shoot. He is a good shooter, he just needs to lay off the floaters. Those are what are killing him. Either draw a foul or dish the ball.
Yep. He is not finishing around the hoop very well right now. Part of the problem is that he is not getting the calls either when he is knocked down to the floor. That will come with time. He seems to work the refs pretty good, so that will help in the long run.
Ride the tank

Return to Milwaukee Bucks