Image Image Image Image

HAWKS OFFSEASON / DRAFT THREAD 20-21

Moderator: TNBT

GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Re: HAWKS OFFSEASON / DRAFT THREAD 20-21 

Post#21 » by GRADEN » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:26 pm

Seeing a lot of scouts / experts moving Perrault up mocks - I have him in that 25-35 range but I’m starting to see some a lot him in the 15-20 range.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#22 » by GRADEN » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:50 pm

Looks like Chicago and Pens had a deal in place for G Matt Murray and it even got to the point where Murray was allowed to negotiate an extension... Hawks and Murray couldn’t agree on said extension and thus deal fell apart.

Back to square 1
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,780

Post#23 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:34 am

GRADEN wrote:Looks like Chicago and Pens had a deal in place for G Matt Murray and it even got to the point where Murray was allowed to negotiate an extension... Hawks and Murray couldn’t agree on said extension and thus deal fell apart.

Back to square 1

Saw there. Not really thrilled with Murray, so I'm glad it did not work out. Rather just bring back Craw instead of overpaying for Murray.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#24 » by GRADEN » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:42 am

The market has been set and then some, these guys must know this... not sure what they are holding out for at this point.

Also a super interesting first OTC from official hawks twitter:

Bowman says, “we will select from this group, are you paying attention?”

It was pretty ballsy... anywho I did listen carefully and they said 8 names:

Mercer, Bourque, Holloway, Zary, Quinn, Jarvis, Amirov, and Lapierre

So Stan and Mark pretty much said 1 of these 8 will be a Hawk at 17.

Of that list I’d rank them like this for me:

- Very happy with! Potential top 6 guys
1. Mercer
2. Lapierre
3. Quinn

—————-

- I’m good with it, solid middle 6era
4. Amirov
5. Jarvis
6. Zary

——————

Not good, too risky of a pick this high.
7. Bourque
8. Holloway
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#25 » by GRADEN » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:19 pm

I’m hearing this for top 4 this morning:

1. Lafreinere
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Perfetti

At 5 I think they like Drysdale / Rossi / Askarov maybe in that order.

I’m also hearing that Winnipeg will try like heck to do these 2 deals:

Trade up from 10 to select Sanderson... they are eyeing Anaheim in this and it may cost them 2 2nds to do so.

The second is working on moving Laine to Philly for #23, Shaybe Ghostisbere, and a 2021 3rd, 2021 5th.... at least that’s what some are speculating. I think it could end up costing more once the Isles make a legit offer.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#26 » by GRADEN » Tue Oct 6, 2020 8:54 pm

Ugh Hawks couldn’t agree with Kubalik now and thus he goes to full RFA status which means a likely sheet and match coming up....

Here is the deal:

If the AAV is 4.3 or lower than we are owed a 2nd round pick and if above that owed a 1st rounder.... so he is going to command a bridge deal 2-3 years at 3.5-4 per so if a team was smart and had the space they’d give him 3/ 12.6 and make it hard on the hawks to fit him in the cap while only giving up a 2nd (which anyone would do)

The only way I see this being difficult is if a team that could be a bottom half team gives him 5m and the hawks have to decide if a 1st and cap space is worth losing him.

They could sign a decent vet wing with that money / say Erik Haula and then have an extra 1st next season - who knows maybe you get lucky with it too - or that team could win it all and you get pick 32 ugh
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:23 am

I like Reichel but Dawson Mercer was sitting right there and the Hawks passed on him. I hope this is not Stan Bowman trying to get too cute with the pick.

Sounds like the Hawks tried to move up but could not find a taker. Seems like teams were not being receptive on trading back in the draft.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#28 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:03 am

I’m fine with Reichel - it definitely felt set up to take Reichel the whole time... look I’m going to say the truth
here:

Lukas Reichel is closer to the NHL than Mercer, Lapierre, and Zary. He is. He is likely 1 more year in DEL unless he blows the doors off in camp and then a 9 game trial year 2 with some Rockford games mixed in but likely should start being a full time middle 6 wing by middle of 21/22

He is good. I like the pick and understand why they made it.... but Lapierre and Mercer have 1st line talent - it’s just 3 years of hard work away. That’s why they did this. He is a good player, going to score NHL goals.... the ceiling just isn’t as high as those 3 other guys.

I wanted Guhle, Mercer, or Lapierre in the end... but Reichel is going to be good.

46 coming up - could skip goalie and use 46/79 move right up and take one of the centers left: Bordeleau, Mysak, Smilanic and then target Daws / Blomqvist in 3rd since Commesso won’t fall that far
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#29 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:48 am

GRADEN wrote:Also want to include the potential darkhorse selection of Lukas Reichel whom I know they like a lot.

Well I did call it I suppose... it just kept feeling like they were doing all this work to steer us one way.

I think Amirov was option A still
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#30 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:54 pm

Got to sleep on it; like most experts and opinions that informed on this.... I’m good with it. Not a homer-run swing (Lapierre, Mercer) or a bigger name (Zary, Schneider) but it’s hard not to see Reichel becoming a very dependable flexible Top 9 Wing that will play a solid 2 way game.

I mean not the fastest or biggest but always makes the right play and is in position to score... while also playing really solid checking and pressuring D... sounds like a Saad type of profile to me? And if you take a Saad career at 17, that’s a win.

My take on the draft:

Sens NAILED it.... A+

Got my 2nd and 4th rated guys at 3/5 and a menace of a C in Greig late... it’s an easy A+

They also control the 2nd round coming up

Devils fans should be happy - they got elite level RWs for both Nico AND Jack!
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#31 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:57 pm

Well I friggin nailed that

46. G COMMESSO!!!!
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#32 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:00 pm

I said this forever ago - are the Hawks reading this??? Wow, I’m through the moon on this... and they passed a ton of good centers for him too which takes guts

Centers: Mysak, Smilanic, Foudy, Vierling all on the board

If you are reading this Stan / Mark please package both 3rds to move up now and grab Mysak / Smilanic / Foudy please
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#33 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:14 pm

And now 3rd round goalies will be pushed up to 2nd you watch
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:27 pm

GRADEN wrote:I said this forever ago - are the Hawks reading this??? Wow, I’m through the moon on this... and they passed a ton of good centers for him too which takes guts

Centers: Mysak, Smilanic, Foudy, Vierling all on the board

If you are reading this Stan / Mark please package both 3rds to move up now and grab Mysak / Smilanic / Foudy please

I was annoyed when the Hawks took Reichel (though I do like him as a prospect) when Mercer was still available but getting Drew Commesso makes up for that. I know another Hawks site isn't thrill about drafted a goalie in the 2nd but given the state of goalies in the Hawks system and the fact that Commesso was available, you had to pull the trigger.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#35 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:22 pm

Anyone upset with Commesso at 46 isn’t seeing straight

Now the 3rd round... that my friend you can be upset with!!!!

All you had to do was combine 79 and 110 to move a few spots and secure Foudy or Smilanic.... nope! Let’s draft a 6th rounder whose CEILING is a 4th line defensive center or LW with ZERO scoring touch.

Kaiser is “ok” but there were better options on the board: Powell, Nybeck, heck double down take Daws

Nope...

There have been about 20 real head scratchers btw - guys taken 3-5 rounds ahead... I’m looking at you Columbus.

Reichel is going to be a nice wing in 3 years (1.5 of dev, .5 of Trail and fail, 1 to get comfortable) and i really can’t complain about it.

Commesso is 4 years away from being close to our starter... no complaints

Landon Slaggert is a UND kid that is tough and can play in the battles well and be a force on bottom 6 but NhL projection is like a 10% chance he is a 4th line defensive forward.... Kaiser projects as a #5 LD if he gets enough college reps (Michigan).... he is ok, solid pick but nothing exciting to his game
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#36 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:54 pm

Ugh bowman has lost his marbles

Michael Krutil really

He is another 6th rounder with a 10% chance at being a bottom pairing D... decent defense / no offense like zero
/ physical and tough though
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#37 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:57 pm

Nybeck, Powell, Chromiak, Tullio, Zlodeyev all just sitting there... what’s up with this sheet.

Did you draft some tough guys? Yep. Skill and NHL projection? NOPE
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#38 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:32 pm

Here are my draft grades per pick for Stan / MK / scouts

Overall: C-

17. LW Reichel - B
Good player with nice upside. Playing with men at 17 and held his own. Mercer, Lapierre, Zary, Schneider all still on the board feels like they could have gone in a more upside direction. Still, can’t be upset adding a future top 6 wing.

46. G Commesso - A
It must have taken strong conviction to bypass Mysak here. Mysak is going to be a very good middle 6 center within 3 years. Commesso is a home run swing and I love it.

79. LW Landon Slaggert - D-
Zero upside tough defending 4th line flex option at 79... and the worst part is they had Foudy / Poirier / Smilanic sitting there within 10 picks each and they sat on their butts. So ridiculous... make a move. He projects as a Notre Dame graduate and future super star off the ice in the real world. Overall, this was a 6/7th rounder drafted way out of depth with legit prospects sitting there

81. D Wyatt Kaiser - C
It’s an average pick and average player. Another future Wolverine like a lot drafted today. He is solid / very little offensive skill but nice stout defender and is pretty tough. Projects to a bottom pairing role at best.

110. D Michae Krutil - F
Wow really again? How about Nybeck or anyone actually with a shot at the NHL... here we go another over drafted dud tough guy with zero skill.

141. C Isaak Phillips - D
Over ager that is slowly improving but with limited outlook for the league. In a great system but may never rise to anything than a career minor leaguer.

171. C Chad Yetman - B+
Finally, a player I can get behind the reasoning... late round double over ager but with considerable upside as a good scoring RW or spot C. Should be a nice Rockford player at worse and a make camp and see some NhL time at best. Not a bad pick

Look, Reichel / Commesso / Kaiser / Yetman are all fine picks... I don’t see any issues with those choices

However Slaggert, Phillips, and Krutil are just out of touch crazy person picks

I mean you could have made 79/110 into 69 or 70 and taken Smilanic or Foudy and you could’ve taken RW Zion Nybeck and stashed him in shl til ready... you could have taken Nico Daws with 81 and doubled down on our huge goalie issue.

Could you imagine if we left this draft with Graden’s picks:

Dawson Mercer
Drew Commesso
Ty Smilanic
Nico Daws
Zion Nybeck
Chad Yetman

I mean doesn’t that look like a better draft and all you had to do was make a decision based on NHL skill and projection?
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#39 » by GRADEN » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:49 pm

Hawks just traded 2021 7th to MTL for 188 and took their 4th D man to never reach the NHL

6’8 234 Louis Clevier - a French Canadian with Chicoutimi in the Q - a 1 year over ager that is pretty much a side show but shows a good stick and heavy point shot... not much else though
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Jeffster81 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:47 am

Ultimately this draft will come down to the development of Reichel and Commesso. Everybody after the 2nd was pretty much a lottery pick. If they become useful, great, but I am not expecting it. They got the goalie I really wanted and picked up a solid prospect in the first (damn, Mercer was right effin' there, oh well), so I can't complain too much.

Return to Chicago Blackhawks