Blackhawks Off Season Thread

Moderator: TNBT

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#1 » by TNBT » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:32 am

Any trade, free-agency and draft rumors, speculation and reports to go in here guys. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Re: Blackhawks Off Season Thread 

Post#2 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:12 am

Shaw's likely to be moved to pay for Panarin. That's about it so far.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by TNBT » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:44 pm

I like Shaw, but if he has to to keep Panarin then so be it. That Panarin-Anisimov-Kane line was huge for us this year.

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by TNBT » Sat May 7, 2016 3:43 pm

Who do you think will be the biggest addition to this team going into next year?

I'm not really expecting anything significant in terms of free agent signings, but I'm really excited to see what a guy like Schmaltz can do if given an opportunity.

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#5 » by ADDinChicago » Mon May 9, 2016 7:32 am

I really don't see any "big" additions for next season because of the cap issues.

I'm hoping Andrew Ladd was serious about taking less to not move his family again. That would be big. Shaw apparently is willing to take less as well. Let's hope his Dad doesn't get involved like Saad's did.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by TNBT » Thu May 12, 2016 12:13 pm

If Ladd and Shaw both take less, does that open up enough savings to keep them both as well as Panarin?

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#7 » by ADDinChicago » Fri May 13, 2016 8:04 pm

TNBT wrote:If Ladd and Shaw both take less, does that open up enough savings to keep them both as well as Panarin?

Well, they at least have Panarin for the coming season regardless. It all depends on the final cap number and how much "less" they take. Theoretically, yes. But there are so many factors. If they can somehow trade away a Hossa, Seabrook or Crawford, absolutely. Bowman has to, as usual, get creative.

They're bringing over another goaltender from Europe, so Darling's days as the backup could be numbered. That's at least some (not much) cap relief.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#8 » by patryk7754 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:10 am

Hey guys.

I've always been a casual fan of hockey and the Hawks but never really got into because I never played it (don't know how to skate). This season, I have watched a lot more hockey than I usually do and I like more and more. The combination of physicality and grace really draws me in. It's overtaken boxing as my third favorite sport behind football and hockey. To get to the point, I really know very little of the game and was wondering what are some ways I can learn the game (outside of watching). I want to actually have discussions about games, players, and transactions instead of saying things like "that was cool" or "that can't be legal, I guess it is"

Thanks
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#9 » by ADDinChicago » Fri May 27, 2016 5:27 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Hey guys.

I've always been a casual fan of hockey and the Hawks but never really got into because I never played it (don't know how to skate). This season, I have watched a lot more hockey than I usually do and I like more and more. The combination of physicality and grace really draws me in. It's overtaken boxing as my third favorite sport behind football and hockey. To get to the point, I really know very little of the game and was wondering what are some ways I can learn the game (outside of watching). I want to actually have discussions about games, players, and transactions instead of saying things like "that was cool" or "that can't be legal, I guess it is"

Thanks

Not joking at all, if you want to learn the rules and learn the game, play some hockey video games. It's in part how I learned in the early 90's outside of watching tape delayed Blackhawks games.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by TNBT » Thu Jun 9, 2016 9:01 am

I'd suggest checking out Wikipedia. When I was starting to get into the game, I read the Wikipedia articles about hockey, gameplay, rules, strategy, etc. There really is a remarkable amount of material on there, and most of it is pretty easy to understand.

If you have questions about the game and things you don't understand though, feel free to come on here and ask any questions you need. When I was learning the game, I asked a lot of questions on here that probably seemed stupid to others, but everyone answered my questions and really helped me to understand the game.

As for players, check out tsn.ca/nhl and look at the different players profiles. It has all their stats and details, but also a strengths, weaknesses and projection section that can help you learn a bit more about what specific players play like.

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by TNBT » Thu Jun 9, 2016 9:10 am

ADDinChicago wrote:
TNBT wrote:If Ladd and Shaw both take less, does that open up enough savings to keep them both as well as Panarin?

Well, they at least have Panarin for the coming season regardless. It all depends on the final cap number and how much "less" they take. Theoretically, yes. But there are so many factors. If they can somehow trade away a Hossa, Seabrook or Crawford, absolutely. Bowman has to, as usual, get creative.

They're bringing over another goaltender from Europe, so Darling's days as the backup could be numbered. That's at least some (not much) cap relief.

That raises an interesting question. With us bringing in a Euro goalie, Lars Johannsen I think his name is, is there a chance that Crawford is the one to leave and not Darling? I mean Crawford is great but Darling has shown that he can handle NHL-level hockey very well, and the Euro could be backup? I suggest that because we'd get a much bigger cap saving by dealing Crawford than dealing Darling.

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#12 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jun 9, 2016 11:01 pm

I think an offer would really have to blow Bowman away for him to trade away Crawford. So there's a chance, but an extremely small one.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by TNBT » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:57 am

Yeah, Crawford is really good and we wouldn't be looking to trade him just for the sake of making a trade. If it happens, it would likely have to be because of cap restrictions.

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by TNBT » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 pm

Breaking: Hawks trade Teravainen and Bickell for 2016 2nd rounder and 2017 3rd rounder.

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#15 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks a lot, Bickell. Enjoy your money...

Hate to see Teuvo go.But it is what it is.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by TNBT » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:03 pm

I hear you there. Not only was Bickell's contract way more than he deserved, it also cost us one of our best young guys just to get rid of him.

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#17 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:04 am

They re-signed Richard Panik yesterday to a 1-year deal.

Hopefully now they can keep Show & Panarin with Bickell gone.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by TNBT » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 am

I was thinking that too. I'm hoping that we now have the space to sign Shaw and sign Panarin to a long-term deal. I don't know that it will give us enough to keep Ladd though?

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#19 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Ladd's gone. His camp has made it clear that there will be "no discount".
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#20 » by ADDinChicago » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:22 am

Hawks inked F Nick Schmaltz to a three year deal today. He was their 2014 first round pick. And he looks good, but experts are saying he's not ready. But that seals zero chance Ladd is back

Return to Chicago Blackhawks