Image Image Image Image

NHL Free Agency / Trades

Moderator: TNBT

GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

NHL Free Agency / Trades 

Post#1 » by GRADEN » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

A crazy day of stupid / desperate GMs....

Taylor Hall traded for Adam Larsson
PK Subs for Shea
Stamkos stays home on 8.5
GRADEN
Head Coach

Re: NHL Free Agency / Trades 

Post#2 » by GRADEN » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Ok so Stamkos was going to get an 8/75-80 deal from Vancouver and Detriot and likely a Kane / toews type offer from Buffalo BUT he saves on the no income tax of Florida so the deals are similar... He would have to really rebuild in those towns too... Where as TBL has an elite roster of young guys with experience. It makes sense and is a good deal for Stevie Y.

PK for Shea is odd for Nashville... He was your leader, in his prime, and has a great demeanor.... Yet PK is 3-4 years younger and will sell seats.... My take is Shea is built to be good still at 34-36 where as I think PK starts to break down at 32-33 so I think the age is irrelevant. It's just my guess that's all. Montreal wins this one.

Edmonton is dumb..... This was their best player.... Led them in pts 3/4 years has 325ish points in under 400 games FOR edm!! Larsson is a top notch prospect and is a good player but he certainly hasn't put it all together yet 5 years from his drafting... So basically a team so desperate for veteran help traded their best player for yet another unfinished prospect with no draft pick compensation.... It's a crazy deal that the Devils stole. Hall is worth a nice top 4 vet D and a 2nd.... He is 24 with 300+ points on terrible teams --- these games aren't available that often at all. They are ridiculous, any other team would have turned those 3 #1 picks into at the very least a playoff team by now. I don't blame the picks they simply just don't have the coaches / structure / plan in place to help the kids
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#3 » by GRADEN » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Players* not games available
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#4 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Hawks re-sign both Michal Rozsival & Brandon Mashinter to 1-year deals.

And so it begins of bringing back the usual suspects on 1-years. I don't expect much else. The Hawks are talking to Thomas Vanek, but let's be realistic. Just like with the Malkin rumor.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#5 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:13 pm

Welcome back Brian Campbell!

1year / 2million

37 years old, always solid - great skater.... Kind of an insurance move but will swing between 2nd line with Jalmer and 3rd line with TvR.... Can't complain about it...

Likely priced out of Troy whom hits the market... But mutual interest there I'm sure. Kind of surprised STL willing to let Troy and backers hit the open but maybe just letting the others set the price who knows

Ekblad gets 8/60.... DT has done a fantastic job and kudos to them for actually giving him the years to do so slowly.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#6 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:41 pm

Some really surprise destinations...

Troy to Calgary 4/18 (has a home there)
Ladd to NYI on a 7yr deal around 38-40mill reportedly
Sabres totally over paying for okposo 7/42
Backers to Boston 5/30, great fit
Edm replaces pts left by TH with Lucic 7/42
Vancouver option a was Stam option b was Lucic and they get option c Loui Eriksson 6/36
Weise gets 4/9.4 from flyers

But best deal of day... Lightning lock up hedman near emblad for 8/63 which if u would ask me if u see ek at 60 ud guess victor at 70 so I think 8/63 a good deal as he is thee premier young dman.

Thoughts

Hawks quiet.. A lot tied up as usual. McNeil a G2 this offseason, would like to see him get a lot of ice time this year... Tough high IQ kid, lots of leadership qualities to like too
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#7 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:06 pm

Hawks can't do much. Bringing back Soupy for 1 year on the cheap isn't bad for being so strapped.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#8 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:31 pm

Have to think Eric Staal for 3/10 in his prime has to be one of the steals of the last decade... I mean I understand he had a subpar year but damn we are talking about an 800 pt guy at 31 whom had 7 straight seasons over 70 points...

Great fit... Wild always look so good to me, wonder why they haven't been more consistent
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#9 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:32 pm

Got 3-4 guys that will get big league IT this year? McNeil has to be 1, who else ya like?
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#10 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Jul 6, 2016 5:37 am

Hawks pluck Jordin Tootoo from the Rangers. Not a terrible addition for what they can do.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#11 » by TNBT » Wed Jul 6, 2016 1:30 pm

I was just about to report the Tootoo signing now. I got the alert on my phone at work this afternoon and I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the move. I mean yeah he brings some toughness, but we've just re-signed Mash for that, and he doesn't bring a whole lot of production other than that.

Honestly, I'd have preferred we use the few million we had left on someone who makes a bigger impact than Tootoo, rather than spread it over multiple guys who won't contribute much. I know people will say depth is a problem but it could be a blessing in disguise as it may allow us to play a bunch of prospects for some decent minutes and see what they can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm assuming Tootoo will take Shaw's role as the gritty, annoying winger on the 4th line with Kruger and Desjardins, but it will be interesting to see if that line can function as well with Tootoo in place of Shaw.

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#13 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Jul 9, 2016 5:17 pm

TNBT wrote:I'm assuming Tootoo will take Shaw's role as the gritty, annoying winger on the 4th line with Kruger and Desjardins, but it will be interesting to see if that line can function as well with Tootoo in place of Shaw.

They don't really have a choice
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#14 » by GRADEN » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:33 pm

His best days are long gone and he will get first crack as the tough guy annoying bottom 6 guy.... Agree... Why can't our 6-7 worthy prospects get this chance.... The move screams hey they just aren't ready....

Getting Campbell for a year before the forsling / press's are ready for great for us...
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#15 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:55 am

GRADEN wrote:His best days are long gone and he will get first crack as the tough guy annoying bottom 6 guy.... Agree... Why can't our 6-7 worthy prospects get this chance.... The move screams hey they just aren't ready....

Getting Campbell for a year before the forsling / press's are ready for great for us...

Because they probably aren't "ready"/more cap manipulation. They'll pop up during the season.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#16 » by GRADEN » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Yea typical moves... Can't wait to see Forsling!!! I started looking him up at 17 and knew this kid had a Hawks jersey in his future and it's almost here, I may buy it lol...

Saw a tuevo authentic jersey on fanatics yesterday for 100 bucks lol... It was there big one day sale
Blackhawks88
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Blackhawks88 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Sidebar: I don't know if anyone saw Soupy's presser from the Hawks Convention over the weekend, but man, talk about a guy who's so humble and happy to be back. It just shows how good players view this organization.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by TNBT » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:53 pm

GRADEN wrote:Yea typical moves... Can't wait to see Forsling!!! I started looking him up at 17 and knew this kid had a Hawks jersey in his future and it's almost here, I may buy it lol...

Saw a tuevo authentic jersey on fanatics yesterday for 100 bucks lol... It was there big one day sale

Man, I already miss Teravainen. He's starting to develop into a really versatile guy and is tapping into all that talent that he's always had. It sucks that we had to give him up just to get rid of Bickell's useless ass.

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by TNBT » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Blackhawks88 wrote:Sidebar: I don't know if anyone saw Soupy's presser from the Hawks Convention over the weekend, but man, talk about a guy who's so humble and happy to be back. It just shows how good players view this organization.

I haven't watching his press conference yet, but I think you may be right. He apparently gave up a significant amount of money to come back here, and by all reports he'd have done anything to come back. I really hope that's the feeling among the league in general.

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#20 » by GRADEN » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Tuevo was supposed to be a pick like 5-8 and slide to us unexpectingly.... He looks like a second line scoring center.... He has immense talent... I will cheer him on and goes to a place where they need top 6 talent.... Anyone remember when the line was Panarin - tuevo - Kane?????? I had goosebumps the entire time. Pretty rare to have that type of puck handling talent on one line...

Campbell is a pro, always. We gave him a great contract for that year so him taking 1.5ish less for one year is a moot point IMO...

I feel less confident this season than any of the past 7 seasons if we are being honest here.... We lost all of our traded for guys and of course are without the assests we used to get those guys....

Our Rockford / swedes etc need big leaps... Scmaltz is going to get Tuevos ice time I think you can bank on that.... Other than that, McNeil getting 40-45 games and Hartman getting injury replacement time I don't think our guys are that ready... Forsling possibly 10ish games.,, more than likely it's going with whom we always go with and filling those leaks with the average vets we get on cheap / Kyle Cuminsky etc

Return to Chicago Blackhawks