ImageImageImageImage

Around the NHL.

Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Around the NHL. 

Post#1 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:24 am

Any interesting news going around about the Red Wings or other teams..
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#2 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 am

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36 ... rvice=page

There have been a lot of coaching changes;

Los Angeles Kings - Marc Crawford, TBA.

Ottawa Senators - John Paddock, Bryan Murray.

San Jose Sharks - Ron Wilson, Todd McLellan.

Tampa Bay Lightning - John Tortorella, TBA.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Paul Maurice, Ron Wilson.

Washington Capitals - Glen Hanlon, Bruce Boudreau.

For some....the website has all other changes.
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#3 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:30 am

-Linden Retires.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -Vancouver Canucks forward Trevor Linden retired from the NHL on Wednesday, 20 years to the day after the team drafted him into the league.

Chosen second overall behind only Dallas' Mike Modano in the 1988 draft, Linden spent 16 of his 19 seasons in Vancouver, where he was the face of the franchise for most of the past two decades.

"It's just the right time," Linden said. "When you get to a point where mentally you are there, where mentally you feel you've got everything out that you could, it's time to look to other things, and I'm looking forward to that."

The 38-year-old Linden played 1,140 of his 1,382 games, and recorded 733 of his 867 career points, with the Canucks. He finishes with a franchise-record 415 assists, second to only Markus Naslund with 318 goals, and as the team's career playoff leader with 118 games, 34 goals and 95 points.
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#4 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:31 am

Champions; Red Wings come to terms with Babcock to a 3-year deal.

-Mike Babcock's new contract allows the oldest of his three children to graduate from the same high school she's attending.

And if all goes well with the Detroit Red Wings over the next three years, Babcock's younger two kids likely will get the same opportunity.

"Ideally, that's what will happen," Babcock said Wednesday after signing a three-year deal worth about $4.5 million.
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#5 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 am

Detroit loses assistant to Sharks.

The San Jose Sharks have hired former Detroit Red Wings assistant Todd McLellan as their new head coach.

A person familiar with the decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because an announcement has not been made, says that McLellan will be introduced as Ron Wilson's successor at a news conference Thursday. McLellan has spent the past three seasons as an assistant in Detroit, winning the Stanley Cup championship last week.

Wilson was fired last month after his club followed another outstanding regular season with yet another early exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs. He was hired as coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesda
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Re: Around the NHL. 

Post#6 » by TNBT » Sat Aug 2, 2008 5:35 pm

I'm glad we have Babcock locked up for a few more years. I rate him very highly as a coach and motivator, and the guys seem to like him and respect him.
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#7 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Anyone have a list of upcoming free agents? for the Wings
Follow @mouzaihem
m23uza1hem36
Starter

Post#8 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 pm

First playoff games will be on NHL Network, I didn't even know there was such of a program...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=418672

"For the first time, NHL Network U.S. will broadcast a Stanley Cup Playoff game by showing Game 2 of the 2009 Western Conference Quarter-Final between the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Detroit Red Wings live in HD from Detroit on Saturday, April 18 at 6 p.m. ET.

Locally, Fox Sports Detroit and Fox Sports Ohio will broadcast this game live as previously scheduled. NHL Network will not broadcast this game in those local markets. Blackout and local restrictions apply.

NHL Network is available to more than 85 million homes in the United States and Canada. To access NHL Network, contact your digital cable or satellite providers. For more information on NHL Network, log on to nhlnetwork.com."
Follow @mouzaihem
nadiroo13
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Post#9 » by nadiroo13 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 10:38 pm

Marian Hossa gets 12 years?
jesus.
lol, i guess it's been a while.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,688

Post#10 » by Cowology » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:38 am

Yeah, crazy deal. Looks like Hossa is trying to hedge his bets once again, by jumping to the young up and coming team lol. Ah well, I wish him well.
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#11 » by Rodya » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Cowology wrote:Yeah, crazy deal. Looks like Hossa is trying to hedge his bets once again, by jumping to the young up and coming team lol. Ah well, I wish him well.

With Hossa's contract uner inspection by league officials for heavy front loading, I wonder if Zetterberg's may get a second look. Nah, Zetterberg isn't a bitch.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#12 » by TNBT » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08 am

RUSSIAN LIGHTNING wrote:
Cowology wrote:Yeah, crazy deal. Looks like Hossa is trying to hedge his bets once again, by jumping to the young up and coming team lol. Ah well, I wish him well.

With Hossa's contract uner inspection by league officials for heavy front loading, I wonder if Zetterberg's may get a second look. Nah, Zetterberg isn't a bitch.

:lol:
Rodya
Starter

Post#13 » by Rodya » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Don't know if this qualifies as "around the league", but...

Edmonton Journal wrote:The International Ice Hockey Federation is refusing to grant Jiri Hudler his transfer card.

That means he can't practice or play for his new KHL team, according to Sovietski Sport.

The Russian league is under the domain of the IIHF.

Interesting, don't understand why any governing body should have "veto power" as to where a player decides to play, but hey...I guess we may have another trading chip on our hands now.

Heatley :pray:
Rodya
Starter

Post#14 » by Rodya » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:17 pm

ESPN wrote:Detroit general manager Ken Holland says that Jiri Hudler will not return to the team this season.

"He's playing in the KHL, he's gone, but at some point in time we'll suspend him," Holland told ESPN. "He'll come off our cap but we'll continue to own his rights."

The IIHF has refused Hudler his transfer card, which means that he can't play in the KHL as expected.

Detroit doesn't have the cap space for Hudler.

Toronto Sun wrote: The Senators are trying to trade Dany Heatley and are looking to avoid a "sideshow" in training camp.

"They don't want him in camp and that could change the way negotiations have gone," an NHL executive told the Toronto Sun over the weekend. "[GM Bryan] Murray has spent almost three months trying to get his best deal for this guy and it's going to be a total sideshow if Heatley shows up at camp. Not for the players. Heatley will be the only one who has to deal with it on a daily basis.

"The reality is he's going to get dealt at some point or another, so Murray may as well get it done now."

Good news, I didn't like those reports that we may trade Holmstrom to create cap space for Hudler. In addition, things seem to have fallen apart entirely in Ottawa. I wouldn't mind creating a package around Hudler, prospects, and picks that lands us Heatley. Then again, a guy demanding a trade doesn't seem to be the kind of character Holland goes after. Bertuzzi... :eek1:
Rodya
Starter

Post#15 » by Rodya » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Rodya
Starter

Post#16 » by Rodya » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:37 am

Forsberg retires from the NHL. To be honest, I thought he retired years ago, but it turns out that was simply a hiatus. Him and Sakic were the only players from the old Avalanche team that I enjoyed watching.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552668

Edit: In related news, Calgary whooped Colorado 9-1 tonight. Guess the team took his retirement hard.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#17 » by ajaX82 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 pm

His comeback made no sense at all.

And yeah the Flames took out some frustrations...whoa
Rodya
Starter

Post#18 » by Rodya » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 pm

A bunch of teams are making some pretty big moves as of late: Kris Versteeg to Philly, Mike Fisher to Nashville, and Frolik to Chicago (not that big). With several teams with Cup aspirations loading up before the playoffs, does Detroit need to make a move to bolster their lines? Being the one asking the question, it's fair to assume that I believe the Red Wings need to make a move, but I think the number of players coming off of IR will impact the team more than trading for an impact player.

I'm not going to lie though, I've been calling for a trade to bolster our defense for 2-3 seasons now. How many god damn forwards do we need? Is it too much to ask to sacrifice some to strengthen the defense? I'm sure Filppula, Helm, and Cleary wouldn't object against expanded roles, even if they're not here in Detroit.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#19 » by ajaX82 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 am

I think we are ok really. The injuries are a huge factor now and you have to hope that everyone gets healthy at some point (wishful thinking i know but...).

As for the D, where is the weak link? Stuart and Kronwall are great stay at home, hard hitting defenseman. Rafalski is a really good offensive defenseman and Lidstrom is obviously a legend. Thats the top 4. Ericcson has never blown me away and Salei is solid if unspectacular, but for a third pairing they aren't too bad. And you still have Kindl waiting in the wings, who i wish we would play full time. Not too mention our top prospect, Brendan Smith, is a defenseman

So, who do you actually move or replace?
Rodya
Starter

Post#20 » by Rodya » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:38 pm

My recommendation to trade for a defenseman isn't intended to shore up any immediate weakness of the Wings. As you well stated, our top three lines serve their roles quite well. But, you know from previous off-seasons that I've been wary of trusting the top line to a 40 and 37 year old logging upwards of 23-25 minutes a night. Albeit, these two are amongst the best in the league, but at their age, they're as susceptible to injury and ware as ever.

I wanted to strengthen our second line for a while now so that Lidstrom and Rafalski could have reduced regular season roles and be fresh (healthier) come playoffs. I'm sure such a move is improbable to happen before the trade deadline, but Holland really needs to invest in the future of the defense.

Return to Detroit Red Wings