Shameful season

Freeway
Pro Prospect
And1: 229

Shameful season 

Post#1 » by Freeway » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:30 am

Well After being in game 7 of the stanley cup final to not making the playoffs is really disappointing. What do you think the Oiler have to look forward to as in the future with prospects, trade, ect

First post hehe
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:22 am

Well, they're tanking for good draft position. That can't be bad, especially with the Islanders falling off the map. In essence, thats two lottery picks to shore up at the wing and on defense (with guys like Kane and Petrecki, for example). More importantly, it seems after a decade of mediocrity and grabbing the 8th seed to overacheive in the playoffs, the Oilers are going through rebuilding, hopefully leading to a cycle that makes the team a better team than they have been over the past 15 years.

And damn you for getting the first post :evil:
Freeway
Pro Prospect
And1: 229

Post#3 » by Freeway » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:09 am

I understand the tanking but even with all the prospects its such a long tern process. We hardly bring them up I can forsee some painful years. What do you think of are goalie prospect Jeff Deslauriers and Evan Dubynk(sp) Do you think either of them are going to be be future starters any time soon
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by UTMCretin » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:51 pm

JDD's career has been so up and down at this point that I wouldn't pencil him in for anything in the future and just hope for the best. He's nearly 23 and hasn't shown any great level of improvement since being drafted. Not quite a bust yet, but he's not starter material. Most likely he becomes a backup if he makes it to the NHL

Devan Dubnyk has the size and talent to one day become a starting goalie, but he's not there yet, probably a few years away. His stock has dropped over the past year, but pretty much every Oiler's prospects stock has dropped over the past year, so thats nothing huge. He's a couple years younger than Deslauriers and isn't as far along in his development cycle, which can be taken as a good thing or a bad thing. Ideally, he'll be nothing more than a backup unless we have a very hard time finding a starter over the post-Roloson years
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#5 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:18 am

Robby Schremp, andrew Cogliano Ryan O;Marra Nielson and whoever they pick wiht there pick(Alzner) and who they pick wiht the Isles pick
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by UTMCretin » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:51 pm

Alzner would be nice, but I'm gunning for a forward with the first pick (Cherepanov if he falls far enough) and a defense with the second (say, Petrecki). The team needs defense too, but the volume of scoring we've done recently has been abysmal. Even at our most dangerous period offensively, we still were in the bottom half of the league in scoring
proscout
Junior
And1: 21

Post#7 » by proscout » Fri Apr 6, 2007 8:55 pm

Hey Oilers fans, Avs fan here. I'm hoping you guys dislike the Flames more than you do that Avs, because if you do, you could do us a huge favor by beating the Flames tomorrow so that we still have a shot at the 8th playoff spot. Your game starts an hour after the Avs game tomorrow, so after I watch ours, I'll flip over to catch the end of yours and I'll be rooting for you guys. Best of luck tomorrow, and we'll see you guys again next year (hopefully with our two teams at the top of the standings instead of the bottom like we are this year).
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by UTMCretin » Fri Apr 6, 2007 11:28 pm

proscout wrote:Hey Oilers fans, Avs fan here. I'm hoping you guys dislike the Flames more than you do that Avs, because if you do, you could do us a huge favor by beating the Flames tomorrow so that we still have a shot at the 8th playoff spot. Your game starts an hour after the Avs game tomorrow, so after I watch ours, I'll flip over to catch the end of yours and I'll be rooting for you guys. Best of luck tomorrow, and we'll see you guys again next year (hopefully with our two teams at the top of the standings instead of the bottom like we are this year).

If you guys are dependant on the Oil getting a win, you're in some serious trouble. Not only are we tanking, but half our team is out due to injuries so we've called up every AHL player we have the rights to. We got beat by Minnesota 3-0 twice in three days because we have no offense and a pretty bad defense. Good luck, we'll see you in the lottery when its over

Return to Edmonton Oilers