Total votes: 0

UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Game 82: Edmonton At Calgary 

Post#1 » by UTMCretin » Sat Apr 7, 2007 10:28 pm

@

Final game of the season for the Oil, with a slim opportunity to make sure the Flames don't make the playoffs. Or they can do the same thing they've done for the past month or so and suck ass, ensuring the #4 spot in the draft stays ours.

Tonight, 8:00 MT/10:00 ET on CBC, the final Battle of Alberta of the season!
Freeway
Pro Prospect
And1: 229

Post#2 » by Freeway » Sat Apr 7, 2007 11:23 pm

As much as i want to see calgary not make the playoffs. The odds of us winning and the Avs winning the next to are not that great.

I would also really like a chance at number one overal so we really need to stay bottom 5. The irony of all this makes me sad. Last year we were one game away from the best and now were a game away at chance at number 1 pick

So i would hope we loose this game it is better off in the long run. But that feeling of beating calgary is very hard to overcome.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by UTMCretin » Sun Apr 8, 2007 1:07 am

If we win this game, we're essentially thrown out of the Top (bottom) 5 barring a Chicago win. But then again there is that potential to play spoiler to our main rivals, and it would be nice to close the season with a victory, even a moral victory, after an especially crappy year.

With that in mind, I've been in the tanking camp ever since we traded Smyth, so I'm hoping for a regulation loss in which we at least score a few goals for morale. Namely, my morale. I'm just sick of being shut out every other game, and ending the season with three straight goose eggs would really suck
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by UTMCretin » Sun Apr 8, 2007 3:09 am

1-0 Calgary
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by UTMCretin » Sun Apr 8, 2007 4:03 am

Tied going into the third, but the Flames have their ticket punched so there's no point. Someone should probably tell them that though, they seem to be playing pretty hard at this point. Bastards
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by UTMCretin » Sun Apr 8, 2007 4:19 am

Oh **** we're winning now. Thanks a lot Thoreson
proscout
Junior
And1: 21

Post#7 » by proscout » Sun Apr 8, 2007 4:43 am

well thanks for the help in beating calgary, although it looks like it is a result that in hindsight we both are mad at. you guys because of your draft position, and us because we didn't manage to get a point against nashville after leading into the 3rd period, and now it hurts even more (at the time i didn't think so because i figured calgary would win and make our result meaningless). but now, ugh. oh well, what can ya do. thanks for the help anyways and we will see you next year.
Freeway
Pro Prospect
And1: 229

Post#8 » by Freeway » Sun Apr 8, 2007 6:07 am

proscout wrote:well thanks for the help in beating calgary, although it looks like it is a result that in hindsight we both are mad at. you guys because of your draft position, and us because we didn't manage to get a point against nashville after leading into the 3rd period, and now it hurts even more (at the time i didn't think so because i figured calgary would win and make our result meaningless). but now, ugh. oh well, what can ya do. thanks for the help anyways and we will see you next year.

Worst outcome possible. I really wish you guys won tonight. Oh well i am sure some good prospects will be avalible around number 5, 6.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by UTMCretin » Sun Apr 8, 2007 6:51 am

The lottery always seems to smile on someone every year, and with the Oiler's luck, we'll move back a spot or two
peteXmaravich
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#10 » by peteXmaravich » Sun Apr 8, 2007 2:10 pm

as much as the outcomes blew from both games (av's / oil).. i liked what i seen out of Hemsky in the final few games. he showed some assertiveness and scored some goals at a better rate. theyre going to need him to get to 20-30 goals from here on out plus all his amazing assists. who knows if it will happen but 4 goals in the final 7 games (2 of the games were shutouts haha) is a bit promising.

also loved Smid's goal. hopefully he gets more effective offensively for the talent he has next year.

on to the draft........ and free agency!
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by UTMCretin » Sun Apr 8, 2007 6:39 pm

Yeah, Hemsky's played very well since coming back from injury, he's been very aggressive and invaluable on the powerplay. He's our best player and he's only 23. And I've loved Smid, if only because he seems to be the anti-Bergeron. Barely any offensive production, but he makes smart plays and doesn't cough up the puck nearly as often

Return to Edmonton Oilers