Steve Tambellini named Oilers GM

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Steve Tambellini named Oilers GM 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:49 pm

Steve Tambellini was named general manager of the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday, with Kevin Lowe promoted to president of hockey operations.

Lowe had served as Edmonton's general manager for over eight years.

Tambellini, 50, had for the past three seasons been the vice-president and assistant general manager for the Vancouver Canucks, where he spent over two decades as a player and then in the front office.

This is a bit of a suprise but a welcome one. I think the Burke fiasco really lead to this.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Re: Steve Tambellini named Oilers GM 

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:04 pm

Did not see this coming at all. I guess it remains to be seen what actual changes this will lead to, if anything, or whether this is just a PR move (and with Lowe's current reputation around the league, that's what I'm putting my money on).
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#3 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:55 pm

I thinks it a PR move as well i'm sure Lowe will still be heavily involved.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by UTMCretin » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:21 am

I've been thinking about this the past few days, and an interesting thing was pointed out to me recently: Even though Tambellini's exact role or level of input is still questionable at this point, the hiring of Tambellini does represent a change in the general way things have been done in the Oilers organization over the past few years; namely, that he wasn't promoted from within. Considering the amazing level of nepotism that permeated the Oilers' front office in the EIG years, this has to be considered a positive development and one that wouldn't have occurred without the addition of Katz as owner. So while Tambellini's part in decision-making, and even whether or not he will perform the task of General Manager with any level of competence (although I'm not too worried there) has not been determined yet, he does represent a change from the traditional hiring policies of the Oilers' brass. If nothing else, it shows that Katz is willing to look outside the previous "good ol' boy" employment practices and to whomever he feels is best fit for the job. And personally, I think that desire to be willing to look elsewhere for ideas is a positive move forwards in rebuilding the Oilers to the level of contenders again.
RoboNerd
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by RoboNerd » Thu Aug 7, 2008 3:32 pm

UTMCretin wrote:I've been thinking about this the past few days, and an interesting thing was pointed out to me recently: Even though Tambellini's exact role or level of input is still questionable at this point, the hiring of Tambellini does represent a change in the general way things have been done in the Oilers organization over the past few years; namely, that he wasn't promoted from within. Considering the amazing level of nepotism that permeated the Oilers' front office in the EIG years, this has to be considered a positive development and one that wouldn't have occurred without the addition of Katz as owner. So while Tambellini's part in decision-making, and even whether or not he will perform the task of General Manager with any level of competence (although I'm not too worried there) has not been determined yet, he does represent a change from the traditional hiring policies of the Oilers' brass. If nothing else, it shows that Katz is willing to look outside the previous "good ol' boy" employment practices and to whomever he feels is best fit for the job. And personally, I think that desire to be willing to look elsewhere for ideas is a positive move forwards in rebuilding the Oilers to the level of contenders again.

I think there are several factors in play with regard to Katz and his role at the helm of the Oilers.

First, he wants to make it very clear that he is not the EIG, and that the Oilers are now infused with a virtually limitless supply of cash (at least, in NHL terms). He wants it made clear to big-name players that he is willing to shell out for talent. Even though the Oilers didn't score in their Hossa and Jagr sweepstakes this year, you can bet that agents for the next round of studly UFAs are going to keep Katz & Co. in mind for their short list.

Second, Katz is also fighting a domestic battle in Alberta for a new arena. He has two major opposing groups: the anti-taxpayer-funding crowd, and pro-Calgary, anti-Edmonton haters. Neither one is going to want to see a crown jewel of a sports & entertainment complex set in Edmonton. Thus Katz must skate a winning team -- fast -- in order to prove that the investment would be worth it to the province. Plus he has to prove that operations at the Oilers aren't going to be the "Good Ol' Boys Club". Yet he also has to balance that Old Club's interests because many of those former EIG members are going to have to be on-board, politically, for a new arena to get built.

Third, Katz isn't used to losing to anybody. He has made his billions by copying success, and tweaking it to get even more out of it. Thus the new strategy around the Oilers' front office: copy the Red Wings' model. In this context, much of their movements and drafting makes a lot of sense. Some complain that the Oilers' defense still isn't up to size, but if you look in their system, they have some very promising blue line prospects about to emerge. Katz is looking to build a consistent winning team... something Edmonton has been lacking for a decade and a half. The next few years should prove to be very interesting.
Wake me up when it's time to drop the puck.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by UTMCretin » Sat Aug 9, 2008 3:53 am

RoboNerd wrote:I think there are several factors in play with regard to Katz and his role at the helm of the Oilers.

First, he wants to make it very clear that he is not the EIG, and that the Oilers are now infused with a virtually limitless supply of cash (at least, in NHL terms). He wants it made clear to big-name players that he is willing to shell out for talent. Even though the Oilers didn't score in their Hossa and Jagr sweepstakes this year, you can bet that agents for the next round of studly UFAs are going to keep Katz & Co. in mind for their short list.

Second, Katz is also fighting a domestic battle in Alberta for a new arena. He has two major opposing groups: the anti-taxpayer-funding crowd, and pro-Calgary, anti-Edmonton haters. Neither one is going to want to see a crown jewel of a sports & entertainment complex set in Edmonton. Thus Katz must skate a winning team -- fast -- in order to prove that the investment would be worth it to the province. Plus he has to prove that operations at the Oilers aren't going to be the "Good Ol' Boys Club". Yet he also has to balance that Old Club's interests because many of those former EIG members are going to have to be on-board, politically, for a new arena to get built.

Third, Katz isn't used to losing to anybody. He has made his billions by copying success, and tweaking it to get even more out of it. Thus the new strategy around the Oilers' front office: copy the Red Wings' model. In this context, much of their movements and drafting makes a lot of sense. Some complain that the Oilers' defense still isn't up to size, but if you look in their system, they have some very promising blue line prospects about to emerge. Katz is looking to build a consistent winning team... something Edmonton has been lacking for a decade and a half. The next few years should prove to be very interesting.

Good post and welcome to the boards. Of course if Katz is determined to win now, as you say, in order to get funding at a provincial level, how would anyone notice the difference? That's been Lowe's M.O. for years.

Obviously, this is just conjecture, but either way I hope he refrains from any rash decisions designed to speed up the current rebuilding process.
RoboNerd
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by RoboNerd » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:12 pm

UTMCretin wrote:Good post and welcome to the boards. Of course if Katz is determined to win now, as you say, in order to get funding at a provincial level, how would anyone notice the difference? That's been Lowe's M.O. for years.

Obviously, this is just conjecture, but either way I hope he refrains from any rash decisions designed to speed up the current rebuilding process.

Absolutely, patience is the long-term key. However, right now there is a window of opportunity in Katz's mind. Alberta is flush with cash from the oil price spike. Edmonton is looking to revamp its downtown image, and a major new sports & entertainment complex (with $100M of seed money) is very attractive. I think there's only about five years to get the world-class arena the Oilers deserve; otherwise I suspect it will just be yet another renovation for Northlands/Rexall. I'd certainly love to see another Cup in a new arena, though. For a city and a team that, frankly, practically gave the NHL its much-desired American expansion, it's not too much to ask.
Wake me up when it's time to drop the puck.

Return to Edmonton Oilers