Terry Murray is the new coach of the Kings

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,418

Terry Murray is the new coach of the Kings 

Post#1 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:57 pm

article

Murray, who turns 58 on Sunday, has been an assistant with the Flyers since 2003-04. He hadn't been a head coach in the NHL since being fired by the Florida Panthers following the 2000-01 season. He has a 360-288-89 regular-season record and a 46-43 postseason mark as a head coach with Philadelphia, Washington and Florida.

Murray spent parts of eight seasons in the NHL and WHL as a defenseman before starting his coaching career as an assistant with Washington in 1983. After 1 1/2 seasons as a head coach in the American Hockey League, he was promoted to head coach of the Capitals during the 1989-90 season. They reached the Eastern Conference finals before being eliminated from the playoffs.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Re: Terry Murray is the new coach of the Kings 

Post#2 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Well, you know it's kinda odd he wasn't head coaching for this long, but on the other hand his resumé looks proven. I don't know if he's a discipline or relaxed kind of guy, but I'm assuming they feel he'll be able to work with the youngsters.
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#3 » by TommyTheCat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:06 am

Corvus Crow wrote:Well, you know it's kinda odd he wasn't head coaching for this long, but on the other hand his resumé looks proven. I don't know if he's a discipline or relaxed kind of guy, but I'm assuming they feel he'll be able to work with the youngsters.

yeah, that's what i'm hoping for. not real excited about him being coach but don't really have any negative feelings either.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#4 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:38 am

yeah it's not scotty bowman but hey... it got you to post! hahah score one for Hockey! and only one
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#5 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm

Murray was announced and Dean called it "the toughest job in the league" to take.
Murray said
"I'm coming into this job with my eyes wide open. We have some very good young hockey players in this organization right now. This is a very difficult league to play in; this is a man's league. We're young, we're going to get younger. We need to get younger. We need to get the young guys going.

"It's going to be hard, I'll tell you that right now."

Murray has a 360-288-89 regular-season record and a 46-43 postseason mark as a head coach with Philadelphia (1989-94), Washington (1995-97) and Florida (1998-2001).

"I've been in this situation before," he said regarding the Kings' rebuilding mode. "When I took over the Flyers, we had missed the playoffs five times in a row. I'm hoping to draw on that experience, bring it here, get it going in the right way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3494391
spicoli76
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#6 » by spicoli76 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:13 pm

Admittedly, I was initially a little underwhelmed with the hiring of Terry Murray. My first thought was, "Oh great. Here comes another ex-Philly Flyer cronnie to join Lombardi and Hextall." But with time and reflection, I'm starting to like it more and more. This is the same Terry Murray who took a very young Philly Flyers team (Remember the good ol' "Legion of Doom?") to the Stanley Cup finals in the mid-90's. Also, Terry has a track record of taking teams (Washington & Florida) who have no business being in the playoffs into the post season dance.

The Flyers fans I have spoken to (well, the ones that have a cursory grasp of how to speak intelligable English) are sad to see Terry leave the franchise, as they credit him for really helping their young stars, like Carter, Richards & Lopul, develop into exceptional NHL stars. As Lombardi & Hextall throw down the gauntlet and go full-throttle into the Kings youth movement this season, Terrry's hiring can only be a good thing now...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by Danny Darko » Mon Aug 4, 2008 6:25 pm

Yeah, I am warming up to the guy as our coach. LOD was one of my favorite lines, hopefully he can install that kind of forechecking mentality and defensive awareness on our team.

Return to Los Angeles Kings