Canadiens Deal for Thomas Vanek

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Canadiens Deal for Thomas Vanek 

Post#1 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Mar 5, 2014 11:17 pm

The New York Islanders have sent Thomas Vanek to his second new team of the 2013-14 season.

The Islanders have traded Vanek and a conditional fifth-round pick to the Montreal Canadiens for Sebastian Collberg and a conditional second-round draft pick.

Both picks are conditional upon the Canadiens making the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445354
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Re: Canadiens Deal for Thomas Vanek 

Post#2 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Mar 6, 2014 5:02 pm

What was Garth Snow thinking?

He moved a first-round-pick, a second-round-pick and Matt Moulson for Vanek to flip him 47 games later for a second rounder and an okay but small prospect in Sebastian Collberg.

What a major miscalculation on Vanek's value.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#3 » by spykelee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 am

Not that we made any sort of overpayment, but I feel like this deal will be a wash. Vanek seems like he's checked out on this season for whatever reason. I was watching a lot of his games during the olympics and he was about as invisible as you can be, and that trend has followed him back to the second half of the season. It's weird. The guy's a UFA at seasons end, and could be a "big" bolster to Montreal. Instead I feel he'll be a shawdow in the bell centre on most nights.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:41 pm

spykelee wrote:Not that we made any sort of overpayment, but I feel like this deal will be a wash. Vanek seems like he's checked out on this season for whatever reason. I was watching a lot of his games during the olympics and he was about as invisible as you can be, and that trend has followed him back to the second half of the season. It's weird. The guy's a UFA at seasons end, and could be a "big" bolster to Montreal. Instead I feel he'll be a shawdow in the bell centre on most nights.

In five games he has been a ghost,
But at the same time I am still more than happy to roll the dice on him.

He has got a bit more comfortable over the last few games taking more shots against the Sabres then he did in his first two games a Hab,

Vanek is the type of player who just needs to go off once or twice in the Playoffs in order to make him worthwhile given the cost to bring him in.

At least that's my 0.02.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by spykelee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:21 am

Hey a hat trick yesterday, that was certainly nice to see. Heard Vanek saying how he was pressing for that 1st goal, so let's hope this get's his head back in the right spot and he can become a regular contributor. If he's refocused and comfortable and all that good stuff he would be a massive steal for this team.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#6 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:56 pm

spykelee wrote:Hey a hat trick yesterday, that was certainly nice to see. Heard Vanek saying how he was pressing for that 1st goal, so let's hope this get's his head back in the right spot and he can become a regular contributor. If he's refocused and comfortable and all that good stuff he would be a massive steal for this team.

If he can be that Vanek even just once or twice in the playoffs we may be in good shape.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by spykelee » Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 am

Vanek almost deserves to be a healthy scratch for game 2 tonight. Where's this guy's head been this year?

Return to Montreal Canadiens