Jacques Martin new Habs head coach

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Jacques Martin new Habs head coach 

Post#1 » by Snayr » Mon Jun 1, 2009 4:14 pm

Jacques Martin is the new Habs head coach, the presser is at 2pm. We'll have to give the Panthers compensation since he's still under contract with them.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/20327
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280562

Apparently Roland Melanson is out as the goalie coach with the Habs too (Rumour), maybe making way for Roy to come in as a goalie coach?
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Re: Jacques Martin new Habs head coach 

Post#2 » by sh00n » Tue Jun 2, 2009 12:42 am

If we can add St Patrick AND get Jacques Martin, oh my God will I ever be ecstatic. We will be such a better looking team next year; we already will look a helluva lot better on defense.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
vinsanity09
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#3 » by vinsanity09 » Tue Jun 2, 2009 5:41 am

good, that's what I wanted, an experienced coach who knows how to teach defense
Musashi
Junior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Musashi » Sat Jun 6, 2009 9:23 pm

I was very surprised that the Martin was even considering coming over...Great move by Bob Gainey! Martin is a very underated coach...Looking forward to what he brings to our roster!

How about assistants? I am hoping for Don Lever (kids like him, good work in Hamilton) and Guy Boucher (hockey genius, PHD in sports psychology??) and David Marcoux or Jeff Hackett as goalie coach. And please no Mario Tremblay...
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Snayr » Sun Jun 7, 2009 4:41 am

Yeah I am personally very pleased with the hiring of Martin as well! I'm quite keen to find out who will be behind the bench with him next season. David Marcoux would be amazing as a goalie coach for the Habs, exactly what our young guys need in a goalie coach!
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
Musashi
Junior

Post#6 » by Musashi » Sun Jun 7, 2009 1:10 pm

Snayr wrote:Yeah I am personally very pleased with the hiring of Martin as well! I'm quite keen to find out who will be behind the bench with him next season. David Marcoux would be amazing as a goalie coach for the Habs, exactly what our young guys need in a goalie coach!

I heard an interview on radio with Marcoux...He seemed smart and quite innovative, incorporating mind training as well as physical training...I am rooting for him, as he seems to want the job and he is a local boy...
Musashi
Junior

Post#7 » by Musashi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 am

Wasn't today the deadline for the coaching staff hiring period?? Very curious to know who will be on that coaching staff...Hoping for Boucher/Lever/Marcoux, Muller in if Boucher is out...
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Snayr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:32 am

If I understood correctly, I believe you are right. It was said that Gainey and Martin were supposed to have all the coaching staff details taken care of by today. We'll see what the verdict is sometime soon hopefully.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#9 » by sh00n » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm going to be pretty pissed if Gainey starts being like other GMs; giving himself public deadlines and not following through.
Musashi
Junior

Post#10 » by Musashi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:01 pm

sh00n wrote:I'm going to be pretty pissed if Gainey starts being like other GMs; giving himself public deadlines and not following through.

Remember the 5 year plan? :)
sh00n
RealGM

Post#11 » by sh00n » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:33 pm

I'm totally behind Gainey - I just really, really dislike some of the choices he makes and the way he goes about things some times. He built the championship team in Dallas so you can't say he's unable to put a winner together. The biggest problem is how hard it is to bring FA's to Montreal. No one wants to play here cause of the media and the douchebag fans that boo their own players. That, and I personally think he overvalues his own players too much and because of that will not pull the trigger on trades. Also, if he does happen to pull off a huge trade and it doesn't pan out, he's likely fired cause of the media and said fans.

Gainey has my full support. He just has to really pull through in a big way this summer.
Musashi
Junior

Post#12 » by Musashi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:19 pm

sh00n wrote:I'm totally behind Gainey - I just really, really dislike some of the choices he makes and the way he goes about things some times. He built the championship team in Dallas so you can't say he's unable to put a winner together. The biggest problem is how hard it is to bring FA's to Montreal. No one wants to play here cause of the media and the douchebag fans that boo their own players. That, and I personally think he overvalues his own players too much and because of that will not pull the trigger on trades. Also, if he does happen to pull off a huge trade and it doesn't pan out, he's likely fired cause of the media and said fans.

Gainey has my full support. He just has to really pull through in a big way this summer.

I am with you on Gainey: he has my support as long as he is the Habs GM...Also he had a cup in '99 in dallas, seven years after taking over as GM :) This summer is HUGE!! And you are right, he has a tough job...Personnaly, I would rank Montreal pretty low on my wish list if I was a top tier NHL FA right now...

Maybe they have the same problem with assistant coaches as they do with UFA? :dontknow:
Musashi
Junior

Post#13 » by Musashi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:10 pm

Don Lever will not be assistant coach...He seemed pretty popular among young players.

http://habsinsideout.com/[cat]/20625
sh00n
RealGM

Post#14 » by sh00n » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Better hurry up and figure out who WILL be assisting Jacques.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Snayr » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:22 am

No kidding, and I consider that a pretty low blow by Gainey to Don Lever... classless move imo. Should have atleast given him his old job back.
Musashi
Junior

Post#16 » by Musashi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:06 am

Snayr wrote:No kidding, and I consider that a pretty low blow by Gainey to Don Lever... classless move imo. Should have atleast given him his old job back.

And Lever didn't take it well either...The Habs used to pride itself as being a top notch classy organization, that has lost some luster these past couple of years...Gainey to blame??
Musashi
Junior

Post#17 » by Musashi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:32 pm

http://habsinsideout.com/main/20627

Kirk Muller in, Doug Jarvis out...I like that move...
Musashi
Junior

Post#18 » by Musashi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:32 pm

What is the holdup here? Why wasn't the coaching staff filled? I hope we don't loose Marcoux because we were once again indecisive...Or maybe Martin wants Marcoux to loose patience and sign elsewhere so he can bring his boy Groulx aboard?

I am groing impatient, we have tons of money, tons of UFA and RFA, plenty of guys available out there, a coaching staff to fill...I don't want Gainey to panic, but at the same time I fear that nothing big will happen...And we know at this point, unless we overpay grossly, our UFA will test the market on july 1st...
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Snayr » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:45 am

And this is why I've grown tired of Gainey and his GM'n ways. I about lost it with him last year with the whole Price fiasco, but this on top of that is way more than I can handle. I don't understand how he's able to keep his job as GM through all of this crap.
Musashi
Junior

Post#20 » by Musashi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Snayr wrote:And this is why I've grown tired of Gainey and his GM'n ways. I about lost it with him last year with the whole Price fiasco, but this on top of that is way more than I can handle. I don't understand how he's able to keep his job as GM through all of this crap.

Sadly I am on your side...I prefer to stay on the positive side of things and support my team from top to bottom, but I never was a great Gainey fan. Just little things...Like only talking to San Jose about Rivet (got a great trade, but still...), not offering contracts to guys like Souray, Streit and many others...His overall inactivity...The way he handles personnel (Carbo/Lever recently)...The way he lashed out publicly at Lawton (what the hell was that?)...

Anyways...Go Habs go :)

Return to Montreal Canadiens