ImageImageImage

23-24 offense thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,807

23-24 offense thread 

Post#1 » by winforlose » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:32 pm

I feel like we talk about offense all over the place. So I fired a thread devoted to it might make things a bit easier to find.

I have been watching Wolves pods, and people talk a lot about our need for more shooting. I was curious so I checked, and we aren’t as bad from distance as you might think. For example NAW is 34.4% from deep. But if you knock the first five games off the season (when guys are getting their legs,) then his 3pp is actually 37.2%. TBJ is 35.8%, but if you remove his first five games it is 38.8%. My point is our distance shooting isn’t as bad they make it sound. Consistency is an issue, but that is true of most 3 point shooting teams.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,457

Re: 23-24 offense thread 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:36 pm

winforlose wrote:I feel like we talk about offense all over the place. So I fired a thread devoted to it might make things a bit easier to find.

I have been watching Wolves pods, and people talk a lot about our need for more shooting. I was curious so I checked, and we aren’t as bad from distance as you might think. For example NAW is 34.4% from deep. But if you knock the first five games off the season (when guys are getting their legs,) then his 3pp is actually 37.2%. TBJ is 35.8%, but if you remove his first five games it is 38.8%. My point is our distance shooting isn’t as bad they make it sound. Consistency is an issue, but that is true of most 3 point shooting teams.

Percentage is average, volume is below average.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#3 » by winforlose » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:I feel like we talk about offense all over the place. So I fired a thread devoted to it might make things a bit easier to find.

For the team, a specific player, or the bench?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,457

Post#4 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:42 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

The team is 14th in 3-point percentage (average), but 22nd and 24th in 3-pointers made and attempted (below average)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#5 » by winforlose » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:51 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Percentage is average, volume is below average.

The team is 14th in 3-point percentage (average), but 22nd and 24th in 3-pointers made and attempted (below average)

That is more complicated than we don’t have shooters. We don’t play a lot of transition basketball, and rarely take transition 3s (Mike does more than anyone else, but it is still very rare.) Our offensive rebounding is all over the place, and 2nd shots tend to lead open 3s quite often. We also have guys taking more midrange shots this year. Lastly Karl is an unwilling shooter. I think the conversation about whether we need more 3 point shooters is different than whether we need to take more 3 point attempts.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#6 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Percentage is average, volume is below average.

We don't shoot a lot in general.

We're 8th in FG%, but only 29th in FGAs.

We are 10th in FTAs and 9th in FT% though.

We're 19th in 3PAr and 7th in FTr.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#7 » by winforlose » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:57 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

We don't shoot a lot in general.

We're 8th in FG%, but only 29th in FGAs.

We are 10th in FTAs and 9th in FT% though.

We're 19th in 3PAr and 7th in FTr.

But is this because of the personnel or the coach, or both. Bringing in a chucker would increase the volume without question, but does it make the team better? Is a 40% 3 point shooter with bad defense worth replacing a 38% 3 point shooter with average defense?
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,090

Post#8 » by MN7725 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:21 pm

its not just the % made, its also that the opposing team doesn't really care if anyone besides Conley, ANT or KAT has the ball outside the 3pt line

makes the Wolves easy to defend
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#9 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:39 pm

MN7725 wrote:its not just the % made, its also that the opposing team doesn't really care if anyone besides Conley, ANT or KAT has the ball outside the 3pt line

They should. McDaniels, Naz and TBJ are all shooting at least 36% from 3.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#10 » by winforlose » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:40 pm

MN7725 wrote:its not just the % made, its also that the opposing team doesn't really care if anyone besides Conley, ANT or KAT has the ball outside the 3pt line

That is an interesting point, but I think there are a couple of caveats to that. MCD has been out, but he is too good in the corners to be ignored for now. Naz is someone they will rotate to, but they do give him more space because he tends to take a second to adjust his grip before launching. TBJ, NAW, and in theory Shake can all shoot at or above league average, and if they get hot, you better believe opponents will defend them everywhere. Kyle and Rudy are the guys they can just ignore without consequences. That is why I think Kyle is not playable in the playoffs and thus not long for our team.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves