ImageImageImage

WCQ Game 2: Phoenix at Minnesota, 6:30 pm Tuesday (Wolves lead 1-0)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,002

Re: WCQ Game 2: Phoenix at Minnesota, 6:30 pm Tuesday (Wolves lead 1-0) 

Post#261 » by Nick K » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 am

I just saw we had 31 pts off turnovers to their 2 pts off turnovers. That just doesn't seem possible.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,547

Post#262 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:47 am

Nick K wrote:I just saw we had 31 pts off turnovers to their 2 pts off turnovers. That just doesn't seem possible.

Offense wins games, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Post#263 » by shrink » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 am

Read on Twitter
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 161

Post#264 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:00 am

NAW just may turn into something.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,596

Post#265 » by TimberKat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:01 am

Nick K wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Well done puppies… put your foot on their neck down in the dessert.

Your guys look better and better, the farther DLo gets in the rear view mirror. Kinda sad that Denver is in the same half of the bracket; that would have been an awesome WCF.

Who is Dlo? :)

That guy who forgot to enter the game against the Suns last year.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 708

Post#266 » by karch34 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:08 am

Probably best post season win just from fact our big dogs didn’t play great and we came back after every Phoenix haymaker. Still Suns are damn good. As was said we only held serve. Love what I saw but not getting over the skis on this one.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,317

Post#267 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:10 am

Read on Twitter
?s=12
winforlose
General Manager

Post#268 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:12 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=12

This is pure poetry.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#269 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:13 am

karch34 wrote:Probably best post season win just from fact our big dogs didn’t play great and we came back after every Phoenix haymaker. Still Suns are damn good. As was said we only held serve. Love what I saw but not getting over the skis on this one.

That Jaden, Mike, and Rudy got us over the hump is why you should be over the skis on this one. It is testament to our teams depth and skill.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 161

Post#270 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:18 am

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lmfao, this sort of shenanigans is why ant's character is just different.

It gets redundant hearing "he's special", but there is something there..

Would be interesting to get some intel in regards to finch.. we have displayed a different vibe last 2 games. If Finch can figure out how to best lead each personality of this team, the depth and talent level is there..
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 708

Post#271 » by karch34 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:21 am

winforlose wrote:
karch34 wrote:Probably best post season win just from fact our big dogs didn’t play great and we came back after every Phoenix haymaker. Still Suns are damn good. As was said we only held serve. Love what I saw but not getting over the skis on this one.

That Jaden, Mike, and Rudy got us over the hump is why you should be over the skis on this one. It is testament to our teams depth and skill.

Lol. I do think last year‘s playoffs against Denver would’ve been a lot closer with Jaden and Naz. I also agree that the veteran presence of Mike and Rudy is huge. That said they still have KD are heading home for two. Optimistic but we had Sonics down 2-1 in a best of five with 4 at home and Flip’s most inspired coaching performance happening so cautiously optimistic.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,002

Post#272 » by Nick K » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:37 am

karch34 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Lol. I do think last year‘s playoffs against Denver would’ve been a lot closer with Jaden and Naz. I also agree that the veteran presence of Mike and Rudy is huge. That said they still have KD are heading home for two. Optimistic but we had Sonics down 2-1 in a best of five with 4 at home and Flip’s most inspired coaching performance happening so cautiously optimistic.

The big thing is last year we had the totally wrong scheme with Rudy and the style of offense we used. Trying to turn Rudy into a p/r offensive star when he can't catch the ball was comical. To the coaches credit they made wholesale changes last summer and set the team on a totally new course. We are a completely different team this year. Hats off staff.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#273 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:40 am

Nick K wrote:
karch34 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

The big thing is last year we had the totally wrong scheme with Rudy and the style of offense we used. Trying to turn Rudy into a p/r offensive star when he can't catch the ball was comical. To the coaches credit they made wholesale changes last summer and set the team on a totally new course. We are a completely different team this year. Hats off staff.

We are soo much healthier this year. We also had a full year of Mike and NAW and all the chemistry this team has put together.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,108

Post#274 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:28 am

Colbinii wrote:Remember ya'll, a similar Suns team last year took Denver to 6 games. Just saying.

Not really that similar, actually.
Booker. Durant. That's it. Unless you want to count Okogie starting 5 games, since he's technically still on the roster. Heck, TJ Warren averaged 19 mpg in that series...and the coach isn't even the same.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,317

Post#275 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 am

Crazy thing is the only constant between the two blowouts was our defense.

After crushing them in bench scoring and rebounding in game 1, we lost both those battles tonight.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,733

Post#276 » by minimus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:38 am

A team that has a true PG will win this series.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#277 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:46 am

minimus wrote:A team that has a true PG will win this series.

I have always said the most important positions are the 1 and the 5. Well Mike and Rudy just proved me right.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#278 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:50 am

Guys, Ant scored 15, Karl scored 12 and Naz scored 5. They shot a combined 7 of 24 for 32 points. Jaden scored 2 less points than Ant and KAT combined… and we won by double digits. This was the kinda game that belongs in the history books. Beal, Booker, and KD were supposed to be unstoppable when playing together, they cannot even score 100 against us. Frankly, it took almost the whole game to crack 90. Worse, they could only do it against the end of bench Wolves. You are watching something truly special.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,425

Post#279 » by younggunsmn » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:50 am

Arooo another great win!
Great intensity and defense as well as great composure.
Playoff wolves are another level.
I don't ever think I've seen a Wolves team THIS confident before. Ever.

Playoff Jaden, WOW. The defense was unreal. But the intensity, the motor, the only 3 fouls in 41 minutes.
5 offensive rebounds. Attacking the basket under control. Making smart passes.
Best game I have ever seen from him. Confidence is through the roof.
I think we may have found a little something there with his ability to attack from the weak side off the catch from the swing pass.
Going to need things like that in our arsenal when teams load up on Ant.

Defense was amazing once again. Mike/Jaden/NAW/Ant had their big 3 frustrated all game and working way too hard for their offense.
We suckered them into going one on one over and over instead of moving the ball.
Rudy was a beast and kept all 3 away from any easy buckets all while keeping Nurkic in check.
That week off has done wonders for his free throw shooting.
Rudy being able to catch and handle and pass the ball on offense with confidence has been such a key to opening things up for us.
Those were things he really really struggled with all last year.
He deserves a ton of credit for improving that part of his game so much this far into his career, and so do the coaches.

Ant had a poor shooting night, but he was moving the ball really well, getting off it early when the double came, and playing good team basketball. He was also a menace on the defensive end.

NAW with 31 big minutes off the bench, a +14. Really smart play from him, and Finch went with him in the 4th quarter in place of KAT once we went up double digits in the 4th quarter to finish the game.
Him and Jaden playing well and staying out of foul trouble are key to us being able to match and play small against teams like the Suns.

Mike was amazing in the first half and kept the boat afloat when they went on their referee-assisted run in the 2nd quarter.
And he broke the game open with some cold blooded shot making and hustle in the early 4th.

KAT was pretty awful and out of control again. He has a harder time being physical without fouling than anyone else on the team.
Didn't get the good looks he had in game one, and it's such a testament to the depth of talent on this team that we can have the game put away and have garbage time commence with 2 minutes left when we get such a stinker from KAT.

Naz wasn't great either but I expect him to bounce back.

The guys were so locked in it didn't seem like FInch had to do much coaching at all in the first two games, the guys were so prepared and executing the game plan so well. This is something you tend to see more from teams that are used to winning.
Much credit to the coaching staff for having the team so prepared, motivated, and playing with such composure.
Maybe there is something to not having to play in the play-in games and having a week to practice and prepare.

Let's keep it up and keep going!

Wolves in 4? Why stop there?
16-0! 16-0!

I expect there will be at least one game in the series where the Suns are shooting out of their minds.
But if we keep up this level of intensity, composure, and defense, I don't think there is a pathway for Phoenix to beat us in this series.

We made Phoenix look really really old in the first 2 games.
If we can keep the energy and intensity battle to our advantage and pointed in the right direction, I don't know that there is any stopping us in this series, especially if Allen can't come back.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#280 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 am

:(

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves