ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,735

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#521 » by TimberKat » Sun May 12, 2024 6:05 am

cmoss84 wrote:KAT is traded. Just business.
To NY is my prediction.
Something like Donte, Mitchell, Bojan, and future 1st
For
KAT, Wendell, 2nd rd

I like Donte but not good value for Towns. Also doesn't solve Cap concerns unless you give away a player or two.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,241

Post#522 » by Neeva » Sun May 12, 2024 6:29 am

cmoss84 wrote:KAT is traded. Just business.
To NY is my prediction.
Something like Donte, Mitchell, Bojan, and future 1st
For
KAT, Wendell, 2nd rd

Horrible, connelly ain’t dumb, he would take better offers for Kat.
LondonWolf91
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#523 » by LondonWolf91 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:23 am

Call me crazy but if we win the chip this season I would immediately look to trade KAT, Gobert and Kyle Anderson (if the latter can be traded) to reboot and think more long term.

We will have to if we wish to compete with OKC for many years beyond just the next two.
LondonWolf91
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#524 » by LondonWolf91 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:26 am

To add to that, our core for the future should be: Ant, Naz, McDaniels, NAW, Miller. Build around them immediately with younger players that fit their timeline if we win the chip this season.

Get some picks back too.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#525 » by guest81 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm

LondonWolf91 wrote:Call me crazy but if we win the chip this season I would immediately look to trade KAT, Gobert and Kyle Anderson (if the latter can be traded) to reboot and think more long term.

We will have to if we wish to compete with OKC for many years beyond just the next two.

That would be crazy dumb
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 107

Post#526 » by cmoss84 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:33 pm

At TimberKat and Neeva (and anyone else). Hear me out. Morris, SloMo, and WMJ get replaced by Donte, Mitchell and Bojan. We only save a little for next year, but maintain a team full of depth. After next year, we save a ton.
I would start Donte, Ant, Jaden, Bojan, and Rudy.
Second unit of Conley, NAW, Naz, and Robinson.
Miller and Jmac a few minutes here and there.
Having DD for 3 prime years @ 11.5 is pretty amazing. Robinson solid/cheap for 2 years. Bojan for shooting depth one year. Future 1st or two. Are we really going to get more than that for KAT without doing him dirty and trading him to a bad team?
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#527 » by Neeva » Sun May 12, 2024 7:33 pm

It’s the east adding Kat easily puts atlanta or Chicago or Toronto or even Detriot in playoff and play-in contention.

Divencenzo is a 7th man at best on a wolves contending team, Bojan a 9th/10th man (that needs a new contract) , Robinson a soon to be overpaid 8th/9th man, and a late pick? That’s horrible, sorry. Kat will easily bring in a solid starter(Murray?) or young potential future star level player back in a trade.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,735

Post#528 » by TimberKat » Sun May 12, 2024 8:26 pm

cmoss84 wrote:At TimberKat and Neeva (and anyone else). Hear me out. Morris, SloMo, and WMJ get replaced by Donte, Mitchell and Bojan. We only save a little for next year, but maintain a team full of depth. After next year, we save a ton.
I would start Donte, Ant, Jaden, Bojan, and Rudy.
Second unit of Conley, NAW, Naz, and Robinson.
Miller and Jmac a few minutes here and there.
Having DD for 3 prime years @ 11.5 is pretty amazing. Robinson solid/cheap for 2 years. Bojan for shooting depth one year. Future 1st or two. Are we really going to get more than that for KAT without doing him dirty and trading him to a bad team?

I didn't do the math yet but with this trade I think we are just as bad with over the tax line and all those players are on two year deals. We will drop off tax line when Gobert's contract is up anyway. I also would prefer a star when trading Towns and I don't see Donte will be that. I think there are better deals along the line of your concept. Especially now ATL got another chip to spend.
cmoss84
Junior

Post#529 » by cmoss84 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:27 pm

Neeva wrote:It’s the east adding Kat easily puts atlanta or Chicago or Toronto or even Detriot in playoff and play-in contention.

Divencenzo is a 7th man at best on a wolves contending team, Bojan a 9th/10th man (that needs a new contract) , Robinson a soon to be overpaid 8th/9th man, and a late pick? That’s horrible, sorry. Kat will easily bring in a solid starter(Murray?) or young potential future star level player back in a trade.

I guess my point is I'd rather have 2-3 rotational players then ?
DD is helping carry Knicks in playoffs. 7th man at best?
If we could keep our entire team, it'd be great. Just not going to happen.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,287

Post#530 » by shrink » Sun May 12, 2024 8:27 pm

We are already a deep team. We shouldn’t be breaking Towns into multiple lesser players and not saving money.
cmoss84
Junior

Post#531 » by cmoss84 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:45 pm

shrink wrote:We are already a deep team. We shouldn’t be breaking Towns into multiple lesser players and not saving money.

Like I said...saving a sheet load after 1 year.
Trading KAT is inevitable. How can we maximize? 2-3 role players and future 1sts...can people come up with better? I wouldn't doubt it...just want to see them.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,287

Post#532 » by shrink » Sun May 12, 2024 8:59 pm

I definitely don’t think trading Towns is “inevitable.” I would even say it’s unlikely, since teams that have a shot at winning a ring rarely trade their top vet talent (and it’s even a rarer opportunity for Minnesota, given our history).

If Connelly was considering a Towns trade, he would look for that very short list of players that are close to Towns level, or have a chance to be there but are cheaper. Who’s even available that’s close? Markannen? Trae Young? Bridges wasn’t. I’d much rather have Towns, especially with his chemistry fit. And rather than future picks, MIN would still be win now. Perhaps players in the 2022 draft could combine a little experience with cost savings?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,664

Post#533 » by jpatrick » Sun May 12, 2024 9:47 pm

If ATL wants to make a splash, a Sarr/KAT front court would be fun.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#534 » by Neeva » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

jpatrick wrote:If ATL wants to make a splash, a Sarr/KAT front court would be fun.

Tbh I think they would prefer a Kat, trae, Murray trio to take then back to east finals. Sarr will be a project.

If Chicago finally decides to tear it down (they are long overdo) I can see something like Kat to the Hawks, number one and filler to Bulls, Jalen Johnson, Coby White, Caruso and 11 to Wolves.

Wolves get younger pf and pg on cheaper deals, a defensive vet for playoff run and a chance at shooter in draft, Knecht?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#535 » by BlacJacMac » Sun May 12, 2024 10:39 pm

Neeva wrote:
jpatrick wrote:If ATL wants to make a splash, a Sarr/KAT front court would be fun.

Tbh I think they would prefer a Kat, trae, Murray trio to take then back to east finals. Sarr will be a project.

If Chicago finally decides to tear it down (they are long overdo) I can see something like Kat to the Hawks, number one and filler to Bulls, Jalen Johnson, Coby White, Caruso and 11 to Wolves.

Wolves get younger pf and pg on cheaper deals, a defensive vet for playoff run and a chance at shooter in draft, Knecht?

I...don't hate that. At all.

I'm a massive Caruso fan. And since we wouldn't be reliant on him, we could likely keep his minutes down - and his health up.

I've never been a White fan, but he really turned it around this year. If we could get him to even be a neutral defender, he could be the guy to play next to Ant for a long time.

Johnson is a young stud that would be great wit Ant and Jaden.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#536 » by younggunsmn » Mon May 13, 2024 3:20 am

jpatrick wrote:
shrink wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:Trading NAW or NAZ this offseason would be taking a step back from contention.
I don't think there is any way around that.

Do you think trading Towns is a bigger step back from contention?

I think keeping Towns and Naz, or Towns and NAW is the more likely play. It takes high end talent to win playoff games, and while Towns is not a top ten player, he is probably the closest thing to an elite offensive sidekick as we can expect to come to MIN, in this age of star empowerment. He also seems very comfortable with Ant getting all the glory, something I don’t think we could expect from a similarly talented replacement.

Trading any of them sucks. They all seem happy here, and in their own ways, all three have sacrificed to be here.

I think if we make a move it’ll be to get out of the tax. Does NAW/Naz moves do that? I also don’t think they’ll bring back much value or at least not enough to move their salaries. A KAT move could bring back a young PF plus something, which would cut salary and give us another player on the Ant timeline. I’m thinking a Jabari Smith or Jalen Johnson plus something.

That said, I don’t think we make a move this offseason unless we collapse and lose the next three to the Nuggets.

I'm at the point with KAT I was at with D-Lo.
We need to trade him just for the sake of him being gone.

You can't have 50+ million dollars in salary tied up in a guy who is so consistently mentally weak on the court.
There are 3 certainties in life: Death, taxes, and KAT doing dumb sh*t.

I don't care if the team takes a half step back in the short term, which it won't if we get even one halfway decent player back in a trade for him or at least one guy who can shoot 38% from 3.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#537 » by younggunsmn » Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 am

The Hawks getting the #1 pick did open up some interesting possibilities, with Sarr the possible #1 pick.
Maybe pairing him with Rudy either here or there.

He's really raw and not a great outside shooter yet, but would be a nice return for KAT for us to both pick up salary relief and add someone more on Ant's timeline.

KAT to the Hawks with 2/3 of Hunter/Murray/Capela as outgoing salary, with one coming here and one moved to a 3rd team.
Either Sarr or Murray going out but not both.

Hunter is overpaid and duplicates Jaden a bit, but he can defend and shoot and might work as a smallball 4 next to Rudy while Sarr develops.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 479

Post#538 » by Guest84 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:39 pm

I'd like to let the wolves' season come to an end before truly diving into the trade scenarios. But it is starting to become clearer who we could/should prob move or let go.

Draymond said something interesting on his Pod recently about 82-game players (reg season) vs 16-game players (playoffs). I think we're starting to get an idea of who's what during this playoff run and who could be.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#539 » by Neeva » Mon May 13, 2024 6:29 pm

Kat needs to shut us up the rest of playoffs that is for sure.
He’s a terrific regular season all star maybe he just needs a pg like Trae?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#540 » by BlacJacMac » Mon May 13, 2024 6:30 pm

Neeva wrote:Kat needs to shut us up the rest of playoffs that is for sure.
He’s a terrific regular season all star maybe he just needs a pg like Trae?

Only if they're both on the Hawks and not here...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves