ImageImageImage

Trade down options (mem-min)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Trade down options (mem-min) 

Post#1 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:45 pm

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 7#15159237

We were talking trade-down on another thread and I ran with it. Basic idea is that we get the #1 overall, but we really have no seperation between 1-8 on our draft board (or at least 1-4 which is likely) where could we trade down that makes a good situation. Mem came to be the best spot. So let us assume also they get the 5-7 range pick.

First trade I proposed was

1st pick+bos+2nd+filler (madsen or buckner worked)

for

conley and 5-7th pick.

I read in other memphis threads they have some serious man love for Rose. But the posters on this thread were hesitant. So I restructured with 2 options

1st+Jaric

for

5-7+Lowry+expiring (swift of mouse)

or

1st+jaric+madsen+buckner

for

5-7+lowry+mouse+swift (both ending contracts)

The Mem board is slow, but one guy at least made a positive response at this trade concept.

Now, lets look at the top-10 draft boards for dx(net is weird)

dx
1-beasley
2-Rose
3-Gordon
4-Mayo
5-Gallinari
6-Hibbert
7-Batum
8-koufos
9-Greene
With Hardin/lopez/Jordan/bayless/love not in the top 10.

Now, this deal would clear all of our bad contracts leaving us with Walker/Swift/Mouse as expirings. it would also bring in a very good young pg in Lowry that has experience with Foye and COach Ed. With the 5-7 range pick we can still get a very, very good young prospect.

What are your takes? With current standings this looks like the most likely trade down option to me.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,647

Post#2 » by shrink » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:19 pm

I think this is an interesting idea and the trade is fair. Maybe this is a chance to get Noah from CHI too? In any event, I like the idea, I just don't do any of these trades until after the lottery. College player values change so much in a season, plus a lottery winner might have specific needs. But I'd keep this door open.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,702

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:24 pm

No trading down, take the best player available.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#4 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Id rather find our superstar than find another Corey Brewer/Rashad McCants/Randy Foye...Nothing against those three, but they are not the superstars that we can build around...
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Hmm... i don't see Memphis as someone who would want to trade up. Why would they want Rose when a) they have Conely and b) Gordon or Beasly or Jordan would all be better fits with their team.

I could maybe see them jumping on one of the deal where they only send Lowry, but that would be to get the guy they want out of Beasley, Gordon, or Jordan not Rose.

let's apply some common sense logic here:

Would they rather have a roster w/ Rose where they trade up:

Rose/Conley
Miller/no good back up
Gay/no good back up
Gasol/Warrick
Milicic/no good back up

Or would they rather wait for who's left of Gordon/Beasly/Jordan-- if they trade up to get that guy, then just take out Lowry off their bench

three starting lineup possibilities:

Conley/Gordon/Gay/Gasol/Milicic (miller would be sixth man or traded)

Conley/Miller/Gay/Beasley/Gasol (gasol moved to 5, milicic benched)

Conley/Miller/Gay/Gasol/Milicic (Jordan developing off the bench)

If you ask me any of these three would be better than leaving Conley and Rose to split 48 minutes. Obviously they could try and trade Conley for another lotto pick. I dunno, very interesting with that much young talent and movable vets, the Griz have a very flexible roster with a lot of options.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:41 pm

I read your links to the 2 threads you posted yesterday and the "memphis fans" that supported trading whatever it takes for Rose in both threads was a single poster: DerrickRose23. I've seen he/she in our forum too touting Rose's HOF potential.

I think its safe to say its Derrick Rose's mom trying to start a wave of momentum for Derrick Rose as the clear #1 and unparalleled best player in this draft and any other.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#7 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:48 pm

hehe..nice.

Just trying to think of options. If there was a clear BPA I would be all for that. But there is not right now.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Magoose
Junior
And1: 141

Post#8 » by Magoose » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:11 pm

revprodeji wrote:hehe..nice.

Just trying to think of options. If there was a clear BPA I would be all for that. But there is not right now.

You're right, there isn't a clear BPA atm, but you can surely recognize a remarkable gap of talent between let's say Beasley, Rose, Gordon, Jordan and maybe Mayo and the best of the rest of the class (Green, Hibbert, Budinger, Batum, Love).

So it all comes down to if we think that:

Lowry/Conley + Green/Hibbert > Rose/Beasley/Rose/Jordan

From my pov i think it would be very nice to have guys like Hibbert, Green and Conley here, but it's clearly the "superstar" type of guy that turns a playoff in a legit title contender. Right now we have nice assets in Foye, Shaddy and Big Al and they all might be all stars in the future but I don't think those guys are franchise players.
Hell, I don't even know, if there is one in this class (who does atm?), but I think we should at least give it a try to get one. :clap:
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#9 » by slinky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:55 pm

obviously it all depends on if we get the 1st pick we isnt always guaranteed, but with the belief that we get the 1st pick, I am always of the mindset to explore other options, cause i think a team is always willing to overspend especially if one of these guys seperates themselves.

How many teams have multiple 1st Round picks this year? Any teams have guaranteed multiple picks?
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#10 » by slinky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:09 pm

I think "future" protected picks are undervalued by GM's. And that a pick 2 or 3 years down the road will be very valuable. GM's dont always have the luxury of looking 3 years down the road, they are forced into "you-better-win-now" mode like MIA and NYK and like the Minny a couple of years ago.

And its because protections dont come off for a few years that makes them undervalued. Example: Utah has NYK 1st pick that is unprotected in 2010, I am willing to bet that NYK will still be pretty bad in 2010, maybe not Top 3-5, but lottery, they have poor players with poor contract situations.

We cant afford to be short sighted, I would think by 2010 we can make the playoffs. So we should look toward that date.

Do the clippers make sense to trade with and get our pick back?

Are there any other teams with either or an aging roster or financial problems, that might struggle in the next couple of years?

These are the teams to trade down with obviously we want to stay within the top-ten but I will always choose multiple 1st round picks over one. Even the 1st pick. We need assets. We cant reach for needs with our top pick.
heelsfan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#11 » by heelsfan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:11 pm

please explain to me this contract situation. Is Jaric a bad contract that needs to be moved or just a filler?
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#12 » by MN Die Hard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:19 am

I would do the deal where we get Conley, otherwise I say we stand pat and take Rose.

I'm a firm believer that a special PG can really change the future of a struggling team. Chris Paul and Deron Williams are recent examples - sure both teams added other players too but those are really the guys that make those teams run.

If Conley is one of those guys (I havent seen him play much this year but based on talk at draft time last year it sounds like he can be) then getting him plus a 5-7 pick for our #1 would be a good deal.

But I dont like the idea of using our #1 to get Lowry or just to dump Jaric.
Magoose
Junior
And1: 141

Post#13 » by Magoose » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:47 am

MN Die Hard wrote:I would do the deal where we get Conley, otherwise I say we stand pat and take Rose.

I'm a firm believer that a special PG can really change the future of a struggling team. Chris Paul and Deron Williams are recent examples - sure both teams added other players too but those are really the guys that make those teams run.

If Conley is one of those guys (I havent seen him play much this year but based on talk at draft time last year it sounds like he can be) then getting him plus a 5-7 pick for our #1 would be a good deal.

But I dont like the idea of using our #1 to get Lowry or just to dump Jaric.

+1

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves