ImageImageImage

Draft NIGht deal (trade to acquire another pick)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

DerrickRose23
Junior
And1: 3

Draft NIGht deal (trade to acquire another pick) 

Post#1 » by DerrickRose23 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:59 am

think the Grizzlies would be very smart to try to acquire Derrick Rose in the draft this year. The Grizzlies want to be an uptempo team with Coach I and i think having Gay and Rose would really make be dynamic.

I think a trade that would be fair would be Conley to Portland for their pick (14-17) and Martell Webster. Then The Grizzlies pick and the Portland pick to Minnesota (who likely want a big guy like Jordan/Hibbert) for their pick.

Memphis Drafts Rose number one
Minnesota takes Jordan to pair next to their new franchise player and then picks up another guard later with the 15-17 overall pick.. Portland gets a great young point guard who has good character and is best friends with their best player..

Blazers become

Oden
Aldridge
Outlaw
Roy
Conley (potential dynasty if things were to work out)

Memphis becomes
Milicic
Gasol
Miller (eventually Webster)
Gay
Rose

Minnesota becomes
Jordan
Jefferson
Brewer/
(Draft selection)/McCants
Foye

That team would be a big team at each position.. 7'0 at c huge at pf, 6'9 at small forward, 6'4 at point..

each team gets an identity and each team goes on their way
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#2 » by revprodeji » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:24 am

Give us conley instead of the portland pick. No need to involve Portland.

Like I introduced on your board and this a couple days ago.

Conley+Mem pick for MN pick and compensation (you said Webster from portland, so how about the Boston pick next year?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
cmc32124
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by cmc32124 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 am

revprodeji wrote:Give us conley instead of the portland pick. No need to involve Portland.

Like I introduced on your board and this a couple days ago.

Conley+Mem pick for MN pick and compensation (you said Webster from portland, so how about the Boston pick next year?

Im usually not in favor of us trading our picks, but with conley, we know he can be an effective point guard in the NBA, he will have a year under his belt, and he is still young which fits with our group movement. Plus we could still pick up a decent big with Memphis's pick.

Im all in favor of that.

Most of us would have wanted Rose anyways with the pick. With me, i think Rose = Conley, AND we get a pick in the middle of the draft.

Another plus to this is maybe we could package our 2 first round picks and Memphis's pick for a higher pick. Then we could get Conley, and a 5-12 pick.
cmc32124
Sophomore

Post#4 » by cmc32124 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:38 am

Just a couple of stats to throw at you as well......

Conley, in his limited time on the court this year has averaged almost 9 pts, 2.6 rebounds and almost 5 assists per game.

Conley/Telfair
Foye/McCants
Gomes/Brewer
AL/ Cookie
Draft Pick/ Theo? Madsen? FA?
Frozen316
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by Frozen316 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:52 am

cmc32124 wrote:Draft Pick/ Theo? Madsen? FA?

Chris Richard?
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#6 » by deeney0 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:18 am

Chris "DNP" Richard is not a starting C. For that matter, Theo "Kneeless" Ratliff is not a starting C, or at least shouldn't be counted on as such. Mark "So You Think You Can Dance?" Madsen is not a starting C. And 1st round draft picks rarely start at C immediately. I want Al to play PF but I think, baring a FA acquisition or maybe picking Hibbert (who, while having a much lower ceiling than Jordan, is certainly more NBA ready), Al will start at C next year like he has been this year.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by 4ho5ive » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:28 am

Foye is NOT a f&%#!*g SG.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 am

Apparently Wittman says he is 50/50 pg/sg. If FOye proves himself as the PG then we do not need to worry.

Otherwise 3 guard rotations are very effective if you have 3 talented players. McCants/Foye/Conley could be that.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by 4ho5ive » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:43 am

I know he didnt say 50/50, i just remember him saying he will be playing at both. Im hoping more like 60/40 or 70/30 PG.
cmc32124
Sophomore

Post#10 » by cmc32124 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:56 am

4ho5ive wrote:I know he didnt say 50/50, i just remember him saying he will be playing at both. Im hoping more like 60/40 or 70/30 PG.

When he was on the radio last week he said that he would be "splitting" the minutes between the 1 and the 2.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by 4ho5ive » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:05 am

* LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU LALALAL*
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#12 » by horaceworthy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 am

In his most recent interview with Chad Hartman, Witt said Foye would be playing equal time at both PG and SG when he came back. Hence the 50/50 talk.

I'm lukewarm on this trade idea, even if it's Conley (who I really like) coming here. We'd almost assuredly draft Hibbert (another guy I like, just not as much as our friendly neighborhood Hibbert rep), a Conley/Foye/Brew/Al/Hibbert lineup just seems mismatched.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,647

Post#13 » by shrink » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:24 am

I think its worth considering, but I'm glad this is a draftday trade, because I'd want to see the whole college season and draft camps to make sure I wasn't throwing away a potential superstar #1 pick, and the gap between 1-4 wasn't extreme.

Also, I'm not sure the OP would give us Conley for the upgrade. In his original deal, he has POR giving them the pick AND Martell Webster, and he has Webster eventually becoming the Grizzlies starting SF. Our offer of Coney and #1 for #4 means he doesn't get Webster.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,282

thanks but no thanks 

Post#14 » by GopherIt! » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:43 am

You can keep Conley if the Wolves get a chance at Rose. The Wolves desperately need a superstar and the early indications are that there are a couple of prospects that have superstar potential, Rose being one of them.

Superstars win championships and those players are generally (with a few notable exceptions) found at the very top of the draft. Hopefully the ping pong balls won't betray us and we end up with a future superstar.

Plus, if the Wolves really want a second #1 pick this year, they could probably try to buy or trade for the ATL pick via Phoenix or possibly trade Cookie in one of the deals floating around on this board. The Wolves also have too high second round picks they could probably package to get an extra first rounder.

Also, I have reservations about DeAndre Jordan at this point. It's early though, so we'll see what happens in the second half on the season.
collin_k41
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#15 » by collin_k41 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:40 pm

I agree gopherit! Wittman says that foye will play 50/50 pg/sg. So we have a couple months to see which position foye plays better at. If we can tell he's better suited as a 2 we take rose in the draft hands down. Then i wouldn't be opposed to trying to make a trade to get hibbert to fill the void at Center.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#16 » by TheFranchise21 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 am

A middle lotto pick and a mid first rounder is not enough for the top overall pick, IMO.

I think its way too early for Memphis to be giving up on Conley. I don't think "because they're friends" should ever be a reason to make a trade.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#17 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:23 am

If we get the top pick, then I say hell no to trading down.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves