ImageImageImage

Okafor or Towns or WCS ? Which center is the better pick for the Timberwolves ?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Which center is the better pick for the Timbrwolves ? (Poll)

OKAFOR
23%
TOWNS
72%
WCS
5%

Total votes: 92

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Okafor or Towns or WCS ? Which center is the better pick for the Timberwolves ? 

Post#1 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm curious to see how the poll is going to end.

Okafor has been getting a lot of hype for his offensive skills. (Not only that)
Karl Anthony-Towns has been getting a lot of hype for his defensive skills. (Not only that)

If we land the no.1 pick.

I'm not asking who would you choose for your "personal team" (If you had one :lol: ) ?
I'm asking you, who you think it is the best fit for the Timberwolves with our current roster and looking forward ?
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Re: Okafor or Towns? Which center is the better pick for the Timberwolves ? 

Post#2 » by theGreatRC » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:10 pm

I picked Towns. I want a player that has the potential to impact the games in both ways and not just be elite on one end of the floor.

Not saying Okafor can't be a two-way player, I just can't see him looking to push himself every game to play good defense like I see Towns doing if his offense isn't there yet.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Sephiroth
Senior
And1: 88

Post#3 » by Sephiroth » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:16 pm

Inb4theKlompClose.

Towns.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#4 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:19 pm

So...
After months and months of discussion, are you telling me the poll is not going to be even a close one ? Cmon now. :lol:
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#5 » by LaViggins » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:22 pm

Yes I want Towns. Dont know if this was posted yet but thought it was pretty cool.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjSTg6rC1c[/youtube]
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#6 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:27 pm

Put WCS in the poll. If we just dropped all the hype and stories, the expectation of #1, #2 pick and just watched anonymous tapes of these guys, I think WCS would be heavily considered when you talk about fit and impact.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#7 » by ColdBlooded » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:30 pm

Sam Hinkie crew.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#8 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:34 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:Put WCS in the poll. If we just dropped all the hype and stories, the expectation of #1, #2 pick and just watched anonymous tapes of these guys, I think WCS would be heavily considered when you talk about fit and impact.

Sure ;)
Ups, i didn´t know that doing that i was delete all the votes, sorry guys.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:36 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:Put WCS in the poll. If we just dropped all the hype and stories, the expectation of #1, #2 pick and just watched anonymous tapes of these guys, I think WCS would be heavily considered when you talk about fit and impact.

Sure ;)
Ups, i didn´t know that was delete all the votes, sorry guys.

Whooo wcs is winning Image
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: Okafor or Towns or WCS ? Which center is the better pick for the Timberwolves ? 

Post#10 » by Mattya » Wed Apr 1, 2015 10:08 pm

I don't think we can go wrong with either. With Okafor and Wiggins we would have two guys who could draw a double team which would be extremely valuable. With Towns, our interior defense takes a massive step forward. It is a really tough question for me. I voted for Towns, especially if KG is around, oh man…

But hey, you ask me tomorrow and I may just change my answer. Either way I would be ecstatic with either one.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#11 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 1, 2015 10:10 pm

Are you also dropping the fact that WCS is also two years older than the other two?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Re: Okafor or Towns or WCS ? Which center is the better pick for the Timberwolves ? 

Post#12 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Apr 1, 2015 10:36 pm

Okafor for now. I like his body more than Karl's. But I like both.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Apr 1, 2015 10:52 pm

At one point, I just wanted a top 7 pick. I feel like there are at least that many guys that would be a positive addition to the team.
As the season goes on, I find myself already disappointed at the idea of not getting Towns. With Okafor, I could see myself being happy at first, then somewhat disappointed when I find out our defense still sucks. With WCS I could see the opposite - semi-unenthused at first because his ceiling seems limited, but then happier when it turns out he's exactly what the team needs defensively.

Towns I just feel great about though - he seems like the best chance at a 2 way threat at center and that's precisely what this team needs the most.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#14 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Apr 1, 2015 10:59 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Okafor for now. I like his body more than Karl's. But I like both.

The way they move though - Okafor stands around a lot. He does that Dieng thing on defense I hate where he won't move an inch on defense and lets everything come to him and he does that Al Jefferson thing on offense I hate where he gets the ball in the post and goes "ok, what should i do" one-mississippi, two-mississippi, start the move
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Takingbaconback » Thu Apr 2, 2015 2:19 am

Klomp wrote:

Are you also dropping the fact that WCS is also two years older than the other two?

No but WCS would be one of, if not the most athletic center. Functionally athletic, mind you. It is extremely rare u got a 7 foot guy with hips so fluid, he played as CB in high school. Not sure why this gets lost, he would arguably be the most overall physically gifted player in the NBA... Okay behind lebron

There is a reason UK is undefeated and it's not Towns. WCS gives such superb overall defensive play that UK is always in it. Similar to why Utah is so consistent in the 2nd half of the season. Gobert has singlehandedly chnaged their culture overnight. Their defense is always there, game after game. People say defense wins championships bc a great defense is consistent play to play while great offense relatively fluctuates. Wolves need consistency, wcs is the ultimate pick for consistency, let alone the spectacular plays WCS often provides. Rebounding is also a huge problem and WCS by far is the best rebounder.

Offense can come later, first lets stifle teams and give the wolves to win some confidence and god dam games. Also Shabazz gives lot of offense for wolves, if rubio truly improves offensively, it is more than enough offensive firepower.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#16 » by FargoWolf » Thu Apr 2, 2015 2:33 am

Towns is by far and away #1 to me, two player which is what the Wolves need. He can also shoot the ball, very solid at the charity stripe and he can extend out to the three point line. I think he would be a tremendous fit.

I would be happy with Okafor as well, offensive beast. Hopefully KG sticks around and can rub off on him defensively a bit if he is the pick.

Not big on WCS at all for where the Wolves will be drafting, don't really want a player with a very limited offensive skill set. He will be a decent player in the league if he can find a bit of a defensive mean streak, that said he is a high floor/low ceiling type of player.
AttackTheRack
Junior
And1: 82

Post#17 » by AttackTheRack » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:15 am

Towns is the best prospect overall, I think. Okafor is good, too, but the D is a real question mark. I don't think he's looked too good these last couple. WCS is the All Upside-guy. Like a Stromile Swift-type. You see the natural movement and you're just, like, WOW - but can he actually play? I think he can. Eventually. There are no questions about his defensive potential, though. He's a Defensive Player of the Year just waiting to happen. Got no problems coming out of this draft with any of the 3.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#18 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:17 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Okafor for now. I like his body more than Karl's. But I like both.

The way they move though - Okafor stands around a lot. He does that Dieng thing on defense I hate where he won't move an inch on defense and lets everything come to him and he does that Al Jefferson thing on offense I hate where he gets the ball in the post and goes "ok, what should i do" one-mississippi, two-mississippi, start the move

Yeah, I agree that Towns has better instincts on D than Okafor and that Okafor seems like he could be underwhelming on D, but I also feel like Okafor has a lot of magic in his offense, which is important for us, because as much as people want to think that defense is the priority, I think we lack a lot on the offensive end as well.

And still, Okafor has great size and wingspan, which makes me think he could figure it out on D like Marc Gasol, at least to a degree. I like his lower body strength which Towns just doesn't have.

The realistic yet ideal scenario for me would be WCS + Winslow/Johnson/Hezonja for our pick + Lavine.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#19 » by Killboard » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:47 am

The way that modern NBA is played you need a center who can be explosive defending the paint, quick enough to edge and press in pick and roll plays and strech the floor.

With that in mind Towns has the best skillset, but im not so high on him defending the perimeter like others. He will be better than any wolf defending the paint but he is at least a couple years away of be a game changer on the defensive side.

Okafor dont bring any of these skills, and that means that you must find a 4 who can stretch the floor and excel on defense, even harder than find a partnet to love. I would take him over WCS cause he has the potential to be a force on offense, wich gives you enough power along rubio and wiggins to all let his team mates to be defensive minded players without worry about score the basket.

The third option is not a bad one. Have a Center who can be a intimidating in the paint and be a force defending perimetral player on pick and roll plays would be culture changer to this franchise. Offense will be a question mark, but if him and rubio can develop with chimestry he will have a lot of offensive plays, like deandre and paul abuse less athletic bigs.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 2, 2015 4:12 am

I'm probably most confident in Okafor as an offensive force. Towns is more well rounded and better at things that are important, I'm just not sure he's dominant at anything. He could be, but I'm not sure. I'm happy with either one though.
WCS I probably wouldn't draft before 5. At 4 I might be looking for a trade down to pick him though.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves