ImageImageImage

2023 Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,030

Re: 2023 Free Agency 

Post#1121 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 10, 2024 7:00 pm

winforlose wrote:I have a thought experiment for the board. So as to not jinx anything we are placing this in a hypothetical future where the Wolves win the 2024 NBA Championship. They decide to keep Monte Morris or Kyle Anderson but not both. With the roster spot they decide to sign a minimum contract ring chaser. Who is that ring chaser?

Kevin Durant. :lol:
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#1122 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 7:03 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:I have a thought experiment for the board. So as to not jinx anything we are placing this in a hypothetical future where the Wolves win the 2024 NBA Championship. They decide to keep Monte Morris or Kyle Anderson but not both. With the roster spot they decide to sign a minimum contract ring chaser. Who is that ring chaser?

Apparently he is trying to force a trade to Miami.

“ Chad Ochocinco Johnson threw flames on the speculation with recent comments he made on a podcast, when the former NFL receiver said that Durant talked to him about joining the Miami Heat. “What makes you think he’d want to go to Miami now?” Shannon Sharpe asked Johnson on the Nightcap podcast. “Because I talked to him,” Johnson replied. “I talked to KD and I know KD is going to see this and KD can attest to this. You can talk about it tomorrow on First Take. KD and I had a lengthy conversation. Listen, I’m not into basketball and people like KD and LeBron and some of these other players that I know, they confide in me. And I asked if it was OK to talk about tonight on Nightcap and it just so happens, boom, it comes up. “And he said he would have no problem coming down to Miami, if it made sense.””

Copied from hoopshype.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,547

Post#1123 » by BlacJacMac » Fri May 10, 2024 7:04 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

If he's willing to give up the 100M he's owed over the next 2 years, we could find room for him off the bench.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1124 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 7:05 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

If he's willing to give up the 100M he's owed over the next 2 years, we could find room for him off the bench.

He could be our 8th man. Naz and NAW have more heart so we ain’t moving them.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,547

Post#1125 » by BlacJacMac » Fri May 10, 2024 7:18 pm

Realistically?

De'Anthony Melton would give us a legit 3&D guard.

Someone like Luke Kennard or Gary Harris to give us a boost in 3pt shooting.

A little more under the radar would be Naji Marshall. If his 3pt shooting is real, he could be a bigger NAW type player for us. PER 36, he's a 6.5 Rebounds, 4 Assists, 2 Stocks guy.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,289

Post#1126 » by shrink » Fri May 10, 2024 7:27 pm

My guess? Chris Paul.

He doesn’t have much left, but he’d have a bench role, he can throw a lob, and he’d have a chance to get his first ring.

He’ll have to do a lot though to get me to like him.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1127 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 7:32 pm

shrink wrote:

My guess? Chris Paul.

He doesn’t have much left, but he’d have a bench role, he can throw a lob, and he’d have a chance to get his first ring.

You would want him over JMAC?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1128 » by shrink » Fri May 10, 2024 7:37 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:

My guess? Chris Paul.

No. We are mostly talking about third string vets.

If Joe Ingles gets bought out, I could see MIN picking him up on a vet min too. Again, not much left, but he knows how to play with Conley and Gobert, and he can be a poor man’s SloMo, if he’s gone.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1129 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 7:43 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:My guess? Chris Paul.

If Joe Ingles gets bought out, I could see MIN picking him up on a vet min too. Again, not much left, but he knows how to play with Conley and Gobert, and he can be a poor man’s SloMo, if he’s gone.

Are you assuming then that both Monte and SloMo are gone? Because if Monte is back then you are talking about JMAC at 3rd string. You are now saying CP3 as third string, hence my confusion.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1130 » by shrink » Fri May 10, 2024 7:52 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Are you assuming then that both Monte and SloMo are gone? Because if Monte is back then you are talking about JMAC at 3rd string. You are now saying CP3 as third string, hence my confusion.

I think 90% chance SloMo is gone this summer. He’ll make much more elsewhere. I think 60% chance Morris is gone too, depending on whether he’ll take a truly tiny, short deal that factors in this injury-prone season, and gets him back into free agency quickly. I suspect JMac is back, and he’s our super cheap back-up PG, probably at a number just above the vet min.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1131 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 7:55 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:No. We are mostly talking about third string vets.

I think 90% chance SloMo is gone this summer. He’ll make much more elsewhere. I think 60% chance Morris is gone too, depending on whether he’ll take a truly tiny, short deal that factors in this injury-prone season, and gets him back into free agency quickly.

Okay, so your PG rotation is Conley/JMAC/CP3? You think CP3 would want to be a fringe rotation player to win a ring in name only? You also realize that puts 2/3rds of our PG rotation over 37?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1132 » by shrink » Fri May 10, 2024 8:02 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I think 90% chance SloMo is gone this summer. He’ll make much more elsewhere. I think 60% chance Morris is gone too, depending on whether he’ll take a truly tiny, short deal that factors in this injury-prone season, and gets him back into free agency quickly.

Okay, so your PG rotation is Conley/JMAC/CP3? You think CP3 would want to be a fringe rotation player to win a ring in name only? You also realize that puts 2/3rds of our PG rotation over 37?

Yes, for a few reasons.

First, it is where we will need to save salary. We love our big long wing guards, and that serves as a lot of our defensive identity. A team can’t spend a ton of money at every position.

Second, we’ll have this season to see if Ant or NAW (and I suppose Clark) can develop more playmaking skills to be the heir apparent for Mike Conley, as he eventually can’t play any more. We haven’t seen it yet though. I’m hoping both improve, so we could start a back court of NAW and Ant.

Third, Paul’s significant decline this year won’t leave him many other options around the NBA except “fringe rotation player.” In MIN, he may get some opportunities if the team wants to rest Mike Conley every few games.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves