Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Re: Game 41 Memphis at Minnesota 1/18/24 29-11 

Post#141 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:52 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:Only 30-11.

We could do better in the second half, with an easier schedule and many of those bad teams more likely to tank.

If we win 61 or more that is fantastic. But I will take 60 and smile. We have OKC twice, Denver 3 times, Clippers 3 times, Bucks twice, and plenty of mid level teams like the Pacers, Mavs, Suns, ect…

Even I would be satisfied with 60 as long as it wins us the west.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#142 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:55 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
The open one, and usually two or three.

So you lose the game by letting them miss 3 in a row. Got it.
Honestly if they miss 2 or 3 their hands weren't all that hot in reality.

You telling me you wouldn’t run the offense for Kennard and JJJ tonight if you are Taylor Jenkins?

I'm just mocking the hot hand thing. I think it's mostly a load of crap. The guy who made three in a row could miss his next three and the guy who missed his last three could make 3 in a row. Just play our players the way we normally do and everything will work out fine.

Example. Naz made his first 5 then missed his next 4 then hit a few late.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Post#143 » by winforlose » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:58 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:So you lose the game by letting them miss 3 in a row. Got it.
Honestly if they miss 2 or 3 their hands weren't all that hot in reality.

You telling me you wouldn’t run the offense for Kennard and JJJ tonight if you are Taylor Jenkins?

I'm just mocking the hot hand thing. I think it's mostly a load of crap. The guy who made three in a row could miss his next three and the guy who missed his last three could make 3 in a row. Just play our players the way we normally do and everything will work out fine.

You say that but Luke went 5/7 and JJJ went off. It is a real thing.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#144 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:00 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

What about Naz. he had the hot hand. 5 in a row. His hand couldn't have been much hotter, but he then missed his next 4. His hand couldn't have been much colder than he went 3 for 4 down the stretch. So when he had the hot hand he missed 4 in a row and when he had the cold hand he made 3 of 4. The Hot Hand is not a real thing. It's a myth.
FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 528

Post#145 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:11 am

Overall great first half of the season. This team is elite defense and able to stand up when necessary. Proud of them. Hope we end top 1 or 2 at West and make a long play off run. Go Wolves !
winforlose
General Manager

Post#146 » by winforlose » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:18 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I'm just mocking the hot hand thing. I think it's mostly a load of crap. The guy who made three in a row could miss his next three and the guy who missed his last three could make 3 in a row. Just play our players the way we normally do and everything will work out fine.

What about Naz. he had the hot hand. 5 in a row. His hand couldn't have been much hotter, but he then missed his next 4. His hand couldn't have been much colder than he went 3 for 4 down the stretch. So when he had the hot hand he missed 4 in a row and when he had the cold hand he made 3 of 4. The Hot Hand is not a real thing. It's a myth.

Sometimes the hand cools in between quarters or at the timeout or with something else that takes you out of rhythm. What you call a myth is something regularly seen most nights in the NBA and in basketball games at every other level.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#147 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:53 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Sometimes the hand cools in between quarters or at the timeout or with something else that takes you out of rhythm. What you call a myth is something regularly seen most nights in the NBA and in basketball games at every other level.

Thank you for making my point. If the Hot Hand regularly becomes the cold hand most nights in the NBA than the Hot Hand is a myth. If you mean sometimes players have better than average shooting games sure. Not Hot Hands, just a good shooting game. By the end of the game Naz had a good shooting game. Started great, went ice cold, ended well. No hot hand, no cold hand, just a better than average shooting game.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#148 » by winforlose » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:32 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:What about Naz. he had the hot hand. 5 in a row. His hand couldn't have been much hotter, but he then missed his next 4. His hand couldn't have been much colder than he went 3 for 4 down the stretch. So when he had the hot hand he missed 4 in a row and when he had the cold hand he made 3 of 4. The Hot Hand is not a real thing. It's a myth.

Thank you for making my point. If the Hot Hand regularly becomes the cold hand most nights in the NBA than the Hot Hand is a myth. If you mean sometimes players have better than average shooting games sure. Not Hot Hands, just a good shooting game. By the end of the game Naz had a good shooting game. Started great, went ice cold, ended well. No hot hand, no cold hand, just a better than average shooting game.

Your point is that a very real and quantifiable phenomenon is not a real and quantifiable phenomenon. I turn your attention back to Keegan Murray who hit 12 of his first 13 3 point attempts. A 37.6% 3 point shooter shooting 92.3% on that volume is not normal. Ask him to do it again on any given night or even any given year and he will fail. Smaller samples exist like a guy going 3 for 3 from deep in a quarter and missing the rest for the game. Heck, you could go to a gym and ask the pick up guys if they have ever seen a player just go off and not miss for an afternoon. I know I personally have had hot hand games and cold hand games. When I have the cold hand I pass more and feed my teammates. When I have the hot hand, they feed me. I think you are a little too interested in playing the technicality game and trying to trip me up. I have been very clear that hot hands cool off, especially when not fed. I have been very clear they are not always full game phenomena, and I have been very clear their can be multiple at once.
FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect

Post#149 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:03 am

I agree with both of you. Which for me mean :

- You need a good PG able to feed the guy when hot and stop it when he got cold.
- Regarding our team, i would like to see KAT shoot at least 3 more 3 per game and Mike keeping shooting 6 per night. It will help the offense to get to next level.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#150 » by winforlose » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:17 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:I agree with both of you. Which for me mean :

- You need a good PG able to feed the guy when hot and stop it when he got cold.
- Regarding our team, i would like to see KAT shoot at least 3 more 3 per game and Mike keeping shooting 6 per night. It will help the offense to get to next level.

Our 3 point percentage is near the top of the league. At any given time it is in the top 5 out of 30. I think the other day we were 3rd (I believe this was before the last 2 games, and we over preformed our average in both games.) Moreover I think we all agree that Mike, Karl, Jaden, Naz, and Ant can all handle increased volume while maintaining similar averages (at least historically.) I think the three keys for us besides increasing volume is shot selection, (stop passing up open 3s for contested 2s,) limiting turnovers (to increase shot attempts per game,) and ball movement (to find the open shooter in rhythm.) If we do those things we will be a top 10 offense without question because we are already a top 10 shooting efficiency team.
FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect

Post#151 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:10 am

Just look at data. We are 3rd in efficiency at 3 but 26 for the number of attempt ! Definitly room for more shooting ....
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,899

Post#152 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:00 pm

Happy to see we didn't blow that game. Jackson looked like a God. Another big torching us, it's a bit concerning and confusing. That said, I would rather suffer from bigs torching us than wings because we will face many more elite wings than we will bigs. A Zion matchup really worries me in the playoffs but outside of him and maybe Anthony Davis, I don't think there are any other PF's or Centers who fit the archetype of the kind of big who seems to destroy us.

Seems the hyper-athletic, aggressive, and fast bigs who attack the paint are a nightmare for us to contain.

Ant was phenomenal in the second half. I see what Shaq was saying when he said we don't have a system and rely on Ant too much and that's why he would take OKC. I don't think we necessarily rely on Ant but yea, our offense is not good and we have a really hard time establishing anything if we don't find a flow.

We don't seem to have any go to plays or we cant seems to use Towns effectively to jumpstart the team and carry the offense like he used to. If Ant isn't going we should easily be able to give the Keys to KAT for buckets but that is not happening, we struggle like crazy to get shots. I can see that being a big problem in the playoffs when teams are running like machines.

We still have half the season to improve but it has to be addressed, this offense is not going to cut it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#153 » by life_saver » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:06 pm

And the offense looked great in the 4th Qtr
Read on Twitter
?t=w-CR_V4UewQGZFma6IvXmg&s=19
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,677

Post#154 » by jpatrick » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:55 pm

life_saver wrote:And the offense looked great in the 4th Qtr
Read on Twitter
?t=w-CR_V4UewQGZFma6IvXmg&s=19

He seems like a guy that’s good for morale. Well liked. And he’s versatile defensively. But my goodness, he’s an offense killer.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,671

Post#155 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:26 pm

Kyle needs to be taking the open corner 3's with the hope he can regain his form by the playoffs. If he can work through his funk now it will make a big difference, but if he just gives up on his shot we're stuck where we are.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,250

Post#156 » by firedavidkahn » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:19 pm

Ant is not a real person. :lol: How did this organization get lucky enough to get him? If he keeps this up he might even surpass KG in 5+ years

Read on Twitter
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#157 » by life_saver » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:41 pm

He could have also passed it to Naz who was open but yeah this is also one of the issues with these Rudy-SloMo lineups...it's really hard to have a good offense in current NBA when you have 2 non-shooters on floor at same time. It will be exposed badly against good teams in playoffs. Hopefully Finch can put an end to these lineups

Read on Twitter
winforlose
General Manager

Post#158 » by winforlose » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:47 pm

Kyle is not good enough and the effect on the offense is to severe on any given night. He is not the answer.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,782

Post#159 » by TimberKat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:51 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Did Conley just aged 10 years since yesterday? It's a little embarrassing on national TV so far. Hopefully we get the win.

Lol !Sometimes 2 quarters does not reflect the reality...

That comment did not age well.

Yes, it did not but I am glad Conley redeemed himself in the 4qtr. He needs to share with us the location of the fountain of youth.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,782

Post#160 » by TimberKat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:53 pm

winforlose wrote:Kyle is not good enough and the effect on the offense is to severe on any given night. He is not the answer.

I get how important his glue guy ability is buy still think someone like a Tyus Jones + TBJr could replace his production.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves