ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#161 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:15 am

I think Kyle was a terrible fit. That doesn’t mean a team like Indy or the Bucks wouldn’t trade for him. We have too many non shooters, that doesn’t mean other teams do too.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#162 » by KGdaBom » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:16 am

winforlose wrote:I think Kyle was a terrible fit. That doesn’t mean a team like Indy or the Bucks wouldn’t trade for him. We have too many non shooters, that doesn’t mean other teams do too.

Last year he was the perfect fit. I know it's late in the season, we just need to hope he can find his game.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#163 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:26 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:I think Kyle was a terrible fit. That doesn’t mean a team like Indy or the Bucks wouldn’t trade for him. We have too many non shooters, that doesn’t mean other teams do too.

Last year he was the perfect fit. I know it's late in the season, we just need to hope he can find his game.

Good luck with that. Let’s just hope while he is finding it he doesn’t lose us any more games.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,260

Post#164 » by Neeva » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:27 am

KGdaBom wrote:

Last year he was a non factor basically the entire month before the playoffs except when he got on Rudy and got him suspended and then he sucked in the playoffs. It’s been all bad since then , hope should be pretty much gone.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,593

Post#165 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:46 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Marcus Morris possibly. Depends on who else is out there. Honestly NAW is gonna have that spot if Jaden is struggling. I wonder if Leonard Miller might be playoff ready if we gave him real minutes over the next two months.

Side request for anyone good with advanced stats. Can someone take a look at Kyle and report back to the board about his impact?

So....No one...

If we traded Kyle the answer was Royce O’Neale. Marcus Morris is my choice for a buyout PF, but if we only get one we will probably seek out a shooter (another move I disagree with.) That leaves NAW or Miller off the existing roster if Kyle is benched. Why is that hard to understand?

Not hard to understand. I just disagree about any of your choices to replace Kyle on defense.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#166 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:49 am

So Rudy and Kyle? No one else in our rotation is shooting under 36% from 3.

Answer: Just don't play them together.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#167 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:53 am

BlacJacMac wrote:

JMAC is a non shooter on a heater. We played him with Shake on off through the season (thankfully Shake is gone.) We shouldn’t play Kyle with Rudy, but Finch does.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#168 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:55 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

JMAC is a non shooter on a heater. We played him with Shake on off through the season (thankfully Shake is gone.) We shouldn’t play Kyle with Rudy, but Finch does.

JMAC is now the emergency 3rd PG. He won't be playing.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,677

Post#169 » by jpatrick » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:00 am

Towns and Ant have the ball in their hands and need to be surrounded by shooters. I consider Conley a reliable shooter. That’s it. Reid has been this year too. Hopefully it continues. JMac, NAW, McDaniels have no gravity. They are inconsistent and often pass up shots bc of that inconsistency (despite their percentages) and teams will leave them and pack the paint. Gobert and Anderson are obviously complete non-shooters. No chance Anderson is here next year. None.

A Beasley would be incredible on this team. Just a gunner that makes threes at above 40%. I’d be surprised if Fournier isn’t signed to try and play that role.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,901

Post#170 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:43 am

I don't hate having Kyle still on the team. I was hoping we could make a move for an impact player but he is better than any of these buyout guys.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,782

Post#171 » by TimberKat » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:39 am

I just saw Watanabe was also part of the O'Neal trade. Suns really had to throw in the kitchen sink to keep Little. Watanabe played fairly well as the 8th or 9th player in BKN. He doesn't fit the big 3 line up. However, if he is released, he could play the KA role with a 3 pt shot.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#172 » by MN7725 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:44 am

Calinks wrote:I don't hate having Kyle still on the team. I was hoping we could make a move for an impact player but he is better than any of these buyout guys.

its pretty simple, don't play KA with Gobert and NAW all the time
play him with KAT/Reid and now Morris

not doing Kyle any favors with some of the lineups he operates in

KAT
Reid
KA
ANT/Jaden
Morris

KA can either handle the ball or stay close to the basket, where he's pretty effective
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,057

Post#173 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:53 am

Is Gallinari totally cooked? I loved his game 10 years ago.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#174 » by KGdaBom » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:45 am

moss_is_1 wrote:Is Gallinari totally cooked? I loved his game 10 years ago.

I don't think he is totally cooked.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,260

Post#175 » by Neeva » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:53 am

MN7725 wrote:
Calinks wrote:I don't hate having Kyle still on the team. I was hoping we could make a move for an impact player but he is better than any of these buyout guys.

its pretty simple, don't play KA with Gobert and NAW all the time
play him with KAT/Reid and now Morris

not doing Kyle any favors with some of the lineups he operates in

KAT
Reid
KA
ANT/Jaden
Morris

KA can either handle the ball or stay close to the basket, where he's pretty effective

Tell this to Finch , sometimes his lineups make me question his coaching a lot.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:59 am

moss_is_1 wrote:Is Gallinari totally cooked? I loved his game 10 years ago.

Pretty cooked. He didn't have much to offer outside of shooting before tearing his ACL last season.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#177 » by andyhop » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:15 am

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think one of the important factors that keeps Kyle here is his ability to get in the middle and attack zone defenses. Regardless of what he does or does not provide in the regular season, the postseason is about what you can do to counter the opponents game plan. Kyle is important enough for that alone.

He is a -7 points when he plays. In other words we are 7 points worse per 100 possessions because he is on the floor. 7 points is a huge margin in our recent losses.

They are + 2.3 in minutes when he is on the floor, so still outscoring teams in his minutes
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
winforlose
General Manager

Post#178 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:06 pm

andyhop wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think one of the important factors that keeps Kyle here is his ability to get in the middle and attack zone defenses. Regardless of what he does or does not provide in the regular season, the postseason is about what you can do to counter the opponents game plan. Kyle is important enough for that alone.

He is a -7 points when he plays. In other words we are 7 points worse per 100 possessions because he is on the floor. 7 points is a huge margin in our recent losses.

They are + 2.3 in minutes when he is on the floor, so still outscoring teams in his minutes

Where did you find this stat. I just peaked at BB reference and just off the top Kyle is listed as offensive rating 113 and defensive rating 109 per 100. The team is listed at 115.6 offensive and 109.1 defensive. Remember the -7 is based on cleaning the glass which removes garbage time. But even using the BB reference numbers, that is still -2.6 offense for no defensive improvement. So how did you find +2.3?
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#179 » by andyhop » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:55 am

winforlose wrote:
andyhop wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Where did you find this stat. I just peaked at BB reference and just off the top Kyle is listed as offensive rating 113 and defensive rating 109 per 100. The team is listed at 115.6 offensive and 109.1 defensive. Remember the -7 is based on cleaning the glass which removes garbage time. But even using the BB reference numbers, that is still -2.6 offense for no defensive improvement. So how did you find +2.3?

BBR on off numbers have the Wolves at +2.3 with Kyle on the court, they are +9.8 with him off the court which might be where you are getting your -7 from .
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
winforlose
General Manager

Post#180 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 am

andyhop wrote:
winforlose wrote:
andyhop wrote:

BBR on off numbers have the Wolves at +2.3 with Kyle on the court, they are +9.8 with him off the court which might be where you are getting your -7 from .

I either got it from Dane Moore, or Flagrant howls. If I didn’t include the link (not sure and don’t feel like checking,) then it was one of the last videos before the deadline or during the Morris trade discussion (all on YouTube.)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves