ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,259

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#181 » by Neeva » Sun May 30, 2021 11:29 pm

If they move I hope they find success, and become a better free agent destination. I would prefer a new city over rehashing Seattle.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,673

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#182 » by Klomp » Sun May 30, 2021 11:29 pm

younggunsmn wrote:You read between the lines of the lawsuit and its Taylor being a scumbag again.

Orbach owns 17%, and has a provision in his agreement that, if the team is sold, allows him the option of forcing the new ownership to buy out his 17% at the same rate they pay Taylor. Smart move because who wants to pay market value for a non-controlling share?
Lore and Steroid boy don't want (don't need for control, maybe can't afford) his 17%.
So Taylor is stringing out the sale for 2-3 years in pieces to try to circumvent the deal he has with Orbach.

Any provision in the contract to keep the team here would be very hard to enforce.
You would likely have to prove damages to the state/city/ownership of Target Center.
If the city put a half billion into an arena, it would have standing to put in force a half billion penalty into the lease should the team move. There has been nowhere near that kind of investment. Thus the penatly for breaking the lease is only 50 million.

Taylor has never been a good owner. Now he's selling the team to one of the all-time scumbags in all of pro sports and screwing one of his partners on the way out the door. Expansion may be the only thing that saves the team from moving. I have a hard time believing A-rod can come up with enough for an equal share, having lost 50+% of his baseball income to taxes (in the years he wasnt playing in Texas :lol:) . It takes a lot more than just the purchase price to run a pro sports team year to year. Most owners only make money on paper primarily from the increased valuation until they start selling off shares.

You seem to have deep-seeded issues with both Taylor and Rodriguez that may be clouding your judgment. This is a very one-sided way of looking at things.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,587

Post#183 » by younggunsmn » Mon May 31, 2021 12:29 am

Klomp wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:You read between the lines of the lawsuit and its Taylor being a scumbag again.

Orbach owns 17%, and has a provision in his agreement that, if the team is sold, allows him the option of forcing the new ownership to buy out his 17% at the same rate they pay Taylor. Smart move because who wants to pay market value for a non-controlling share?
Lore and Steroid boy don't want (don't need for control, maybe can't afford) his 17%.
So Taylor is stringing out the sale for 2-3 years in pieces to try to circumvent the deal he has with Orbach.

Any provision in the contract to keep the team here would be very hard to enforce.
You would likely have to prove damages to the state/city/ownership of Target Center.
If the city put a half billion into an arena, it would have standing to put in force a half billion penalty into the lease should the team move. There has been nowhere near that kind of investment. Thus the penatly for breaking the lease is only 50 million.

Taylor has never been a good owner. Now he's selling the team to one of the all-time scumbags in all of pro sports and screwing one of his partners on the way out the door. Expansion may be the only thing that saves the team from moving. I have a hard time believing A-rod can come up with enough for an equal share, having lost 50+% of his baseball income to taxes (in the years he wasnt playing in Texas :lol:) . It takes a lot more than just the purchase price to run a pro sports team year to year. Most owners only make money on paper primarily from the increased valuation until they start selling off shares.

You seem to have deep-seeded issues with both Taylor and Rodriguez that may be clouding your judgment. This is a very one-sided way of looking at things.

Please cease and desist from responding to my posts if all you are going to do is make a personal attack on my "clouded judgement".
Both are among the most unethical people in all of sports. Nothing I stated is untrue.
There is a constant stream of unicorns and rainbows flying out your wazoo and I've always tried to just let that be until you start in on me personally.

Rodriguez cheated for over 20 years and went to great lengths to cover it up before he was finally caught multiple times.
You may think that is water under the bridge, but there is a long list of opposing pitchers, players, and fans who that affected.
Taylor has a long history of shady dealing and people who have left this organization on bad terms in his basketball business alone including maybe the single greatest athlete to ever represent this state who showed unheard of loyalty to his adopted home in a time when that concept seemed to have faded from existence. And that's not even digging into the Joe Smith saga that set the team back a decade, or kevin love not getting a 5th year because of a stupid provision in the cba he championed about only 1 max rookie extension.

It's called character, and neither of these guys have it.
There is a ton of evidence of that for anyone who cares to look.
When you pay a billion and a half, the bottom line is that it comes down to making money.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,680

Post#184 » by Worm Guts » Mon May 31, 2021 12:39 am

I’m not sure that the fact ARod used steroids in baseball in the’90’s makes him particularly unique.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by younggunsmn » Mon May 31, 2021 12:44 am

Worm Guts wrote:I’m not sure that the fact ARod used steroids in baseball in the’90’s makes him particularly unique.

I find it particularly interesting how he seems to be forgiven and guys like Pete Rose, McGwire, and Bonds are all persona non grata.
And he used steroids in the 90's, 2000's, and 2010's, long after the scandals, which would preclude an "everyone was doing it" excuse, which does make him unique.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#186 » by Worm Guts » Mon May 31, 2021 12:49 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I’m not sure that the fact ARod used steroids in baseball in the’90’s makes him particularly unique.

I find it particularly interesting how he seems to be forgiven and guys like Pete Rose, McGwire, and Bonds are all persona non grata.
And he used steroids in the 90's, 2000's, and 2010's which does make him unique.

You make it clear he isn’t forgiven. Whether he used steroids is pretty meaningless in terms of being a basketball owner, at least to me. He’s human, he made mistakes, but he continues to exist and do things. I’ll judge him as an owner by the things he does as an owner.

It’s not like we get a say in the matter anyway. All we can do is hope for the best.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,673

Post#187 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:54 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
Klomp wrote:You seem to have deep-seeded issues with both Taylor and Rodriguez that may be clouding your judgment. This is a very one-sided way of looking at things.

Please cease and desist from responding to my posts if all you are going to do is make a personal attack on my "clouded judgement".
Both are among the most unethical people in all of sports. Nothing I stated is untrue.
There is a constant stream of unicorns and rainbows flying out your wazoo and I've always tried to just let that be until you start in on me personally.

Nowhere did I attack you personally.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#188 » by younggunsmn » Tue Jun 1, 2021 11:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
Klomp wrote:You seem to have deep-seeded issues with both Taylor and Rodriguez that may be clouding your judgment. This is a very one-sided way of looking at things.

Nowhere did I attack you personally.

You cast vague aspersions on both my motives and judgement without stating a single thing about my argument.
You have a long history of doing this every time things get too negative in here for your taste.
Reason does not always (or often) reside in a positive space, and we are fans of one of the worst pro sports franchises ever.
Attack the argument if you don't like it, not the person. You were a mod you should know better.

Please visit this link, you may learn something. Check out #6.
https://thepsychologygroup.com/toxic-positivity/

Are you okay with what Taylor is trying to do to Orbach?
Did you enjoy the Twins getting bounced from the playoffs by roided up Yankee teams year after year after year?
Does a 20+ year history of poor character not matter when crossing between sports?
It would if said person were looking for a job in another industry in the real world.

Lore made his money when Wal-Mart bought a start-up he had bankrolled.
There are already whispers wondering if he is "Pro Sports Owner Rich" but I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
I just don't feel that this ownership change is going to be something that ends well.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#189 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:16 pm

Klomp wrote:

Klomp it sure looks like Taylor being a scumbag to me. He has an arrangement with Mr. Orbach and is trying to make an end run around it.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#190 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:44 pm

[/quote]
You seem to have deep-seeded issues with both Taylor and Rodriguez that may be clouding your judgment. This is a very one-sided way of looking at things.[/quote]

I feel like you are disregarding what is obvious:

1.) Taylor is one of the worst Owners in the history of the NBA and was actively involved in contract negotiations (Joe Smith, Andrew Wiggins, etc.) that crippled this entire organization.

2.) Taylor lied to the media about there being very specific language about not relocating the team in the Purchase Agreement with Lore & Rodriguez.

3.) Taylor is intentionally trying to spread out the terms of the Purchase Agreement to avoid paying his largest Minority Partner up front what was agreed to upon initial investment.

In college when I was at Mankato State, I worked for Glen on the weekends and had plenty of "unremarkable" conversations driving his limo up to the cities for dinner on Friday nights. There were plenty of rumors in town of shady business dealings 25 years ago and those practices remain today. He is NOT a man to be trusted nor should we take him at his word. This sale is all about what's best for him and not the fanbase or the State of MN. I'm fine with that because after all, it's business.

Replacing one turd of an Owner with another turd of an Owner in Rodriguez is not the ideal outcome for Wolves fans that want them to stay in MN. They might not threaten to move the team right away but there is ZERO doubt they waste little time trying to get taxpayers to build them a new stadium using "relocation" as intimidation and "legal cause" for a reason to move. I highly doubt the NBA wants to leave MN but if they can prove economic deficiencies exist by keeping the team here, the NBA Board of Governors will rubberstamp relocation to SEA or LV faster than you can say Ndudi Ebi.

Replacing one low-character Owner (Taylor) with another (Rodriguez) is about as poor an outcome that Wolves fans could've wished for during this ownership transition and this topic will not be displaced any time soon unfortunately.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#191 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:54 pm

One thing we do know is that Taylor cares about keeping the team Minnesota, otherwise he would have sold them a long time ago. It is possible he just gave up because he couldn’t find a buyer,but it is something he cares about.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#192 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:33 pm

Worm Guts wrote:One thing we do know is that Taylor cares about keeping the team Minnesota, otherwise he would have sold them a long time ago. It is possible he just gave up because he couldn’t find a buyer, but it is something he cares about.

I believe this used to be very important to Taylor so I will definitely grant you that, worm. However, at this point, that no longer seems to be a priority to Glen. To be fair, there are no contractual terms ($50M - $100M penalty/buyout) that would be legally effective in forcing new ownership to keep the team in MN. If the new Owners are intent on relocation, the NBA won't stand in the way after they made a $2.5B investment in the league. I trust A-Rod about as far as I could throw Lizzo.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,126

Post#193 » by Nick K » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:08 pm

Why would anybody at this point worry about the Wolves leaving MN? The new owners have bot real estate here in the community. The new guys have given no hints that they want to move the team.

The time to worry about it is when the new owners say they'd like to move the team. Sheesh!

'
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,576

Post#194 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:20 pm

Nick K wrote:Why would anybody at this point worry about the Wolves leaving MN? The new owners have bot real estate here in the community. The new guys have given no hints that they want to move the team.

The time to worry about it is when the new owners say they'd like to move the team. Sheesh!

'

Do you have a link to that? I can't find anything beyond early generic talks that Lore and Rodriguez would like to develop something around the team (and there is no reason it would have to be in Minnesota for that to happen).
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#195 » by Mattya » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:39 pm

I don’t think millionaires or even billionaires buying real estate here really means anything for their intent to stay in Minnesota.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#196 » by Neeva » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:24 pm

I mean if you wanna stick your head in the sand and pretend everything is hunky-dory go right ahead. The Wolves need to win and the fans need to show up.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,483

Post#197 » by shrink » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:43 pm

Mattya wrote:I don’t think millionaires or even billionaires buying real estate here really means anything for their intent to stay in Minnesota.

It’s a leverage play.

If you’re the owner, you can decide whether to build a new stadium, and where it will go. Just like the Vikings, ARod and Lore could buy up a bunch of cheap land in, say, Friendly Fridley, and if they build a new stadium there, all that land spikes in value, when they sell their fields to Pizza Luce and deluxe condos. When they threaten this, they can get tax breaks or even direct taxpayer dollars to update the current old arena, and stay downtown.

Anyway, if they were planning on moving, why buy Minnesota land at all? They could simply threaten MIN with moving, and if they didn’t like the offer, simply move anyway.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#198 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:57 pm

shrink wrote:
Mattya wrote:I don’t think millionaires or even billionaires buying real estate here really means anything for their intent to stay in Minnesota.

It’s a leverage play.

If you’re the owner, you can decide whether to build a new stadium, and where it will go. Just like the Vikings, ARod and Lore could buy up a bunch of cheap land in, say, Friendly Fridley, and if they build a new stadium there, all that land spikes in value, when they sell their fields to Pizza Luce and deluxe condos. When they threaten this, they can get tax breaks or even direct taxpayer dollars to update the current old arena, and stay downtown.

Anyway, if they were planning on moving, why buy Minnesota land at all? They could simply threaten MIN with moving, and if they didn’t like the offer, simply move anyway.

I heard ARod was investing in apartments in Edina or Eagan and Lore was said to be buy a place to live in Minnesota. Those aren’t land holding positions. Corporations and rich people are buying up residential real estate all over the country to turn into rentals. Meanwhile Lore buying a home here means nothing. He could sell that home as soon as he wants to leave.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,483

Post#199 » by shrink » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:13 am

Mattya wrote:
shrink wrote:

It’s a leverage play.

I heard ARod was investing in apartments in Edina or Eagan and Lore was said to be buy a place to live in Minnesota. Those aren’t land holding positions. Corporations and rich people are buying up residential real estate all over the country to turn into rentals. Meanwhile Lore buying a home here means nothing. He could sell that home as soon as he wants to leave.

Good points. It is a great time to buy “the right” real estate.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,126

Post#200 » by Nick K » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:54 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
Nick K wrote:Why would anybody at this point worry about the Wolves leaving MN? The new owners have bot real estate here in the community. The new guys have given no hints that they want to move the team.

'

Do you have a link to that? I can't find anything beyond early generic talks that Lore and Rodriguez would like to develop something around the team (and there is no reason it would have to be in Minnesota for that to happen).

I don't have the link but I distinctly remember reading that A-Rod bot development property and my impression was out by Bloomington-Egan sort of area. Both guys are seriously involved currently in community development to heal from the riots this past year. KG is to be involved in community things as well. That's the early plan.

Zyg Wilf kept the Vikings here. I'd bet a dime to a dollar they have talked to Wilf which cemented their belief in MSP. Just my 2 cents.

Another guess I have is they probably want to build a new arena...maybe in Egan.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves