ImageImageImage

The Official Jaden McDaniels Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,030

Re: Jaden McDaniels thread 

Post#21 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:I think it's also important to point out that McDaniels played out of position almost his entire rookie season. He's way too small, especially as a rookie, to play power forward. He's a three. He only played small forward 22 percent of the time and when he did he looked a lot better - just look at the Dallas game to end the season.

Hopefully, Minnesota can pick up a solid PF this offseason and we can get a good look at Jaden at the 3 this year. I'm confident he will look a lot better on offense and even defense.

Siakam is the dream, but I'll settle for Larry Nance.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,473

Post#22 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:36 pm

I like McDaniels a lot. But I also don't think it's fair to let my personal attachment toa player stop mefrom understanding there are better players outthere that we can use him to get. I wouldn't do what the Sixers did (trade Mikal Bridges for Zhaire Smith and a future 1st) but he's not totally off-limits at this point.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#23 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:03 pm

McDaniels as a 3 with Edwards at the 2 I love. People forget the rookies got screwed with all the Covid stuff going on and are likely to be even better than they appeared last year. Meaning, last year, for a good chunk was learning on the fly with minimal practice...it's unlikely we saw them as they would have looked in a regular season. The reason I wouldn't include McDaniels is that I see him as the perfect wingman for Ant. Is he a finished product, no, but he can handle more than we have seen and shoot, plus play great defense. To me he is a Middleton/Ariza/Otto P type that when used correctly looks like a star.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,107

Post#24 » by Nick K » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:54 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:I think it's also important to point out that McDaniels played out of position almost his entire rookie season. He's way too small, especially as a rookie, to play power forward. He's a three. He only played small forward 22 percent of the time and when he did he looked a lot better - just look at the Dallas game to end the season.

Hopefully, Minnesota can pick up a solid PF this offseason and we can get a good look at Jaden at the 3 this year. I'm confident he will look a lot better on offense and even defense.

Siakam is the dream, but I'll settle for Larry Nance.

I like him too. Nance is a really solid 11 and 8 guy per 36. Poor FT shooter though. I'd like to get him if we can't do better but what do we have that Clev. needs? We'd have to get another team. Any ideas?
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Nick K » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 pm

Klomp wrote:I like McDaniels a lot. But I also don't think it's fair to let my personal attachment toa player stop mefrom understanding there are better players outthere that we can use him to get. I wouldn't do what the Sixers did (trade Mikal Bridges for Zhaire Smith and a future 1st) but he's not totally off-limits at this point.

I've loved Mikal Bridges since the draft but I wouldn't trade McD even up for him. By the end of next year you wouldn't either. Actually they are similar in many ways. Look at the improvement Bridges has made thru his 3rd year.

A lot of a players stat success rests with what role the coaches have him play too.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Something that really impressed me today was watching one of his predraft interviews, he said a guy he was watching a lot of film of was Jae Crowder. Just really cool to see when a guy doesn't only focus on the flashy scorers.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:01 pm

Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:I like McDaniels a lot. But I also don't think it's fair to let my personal attachment toa player stop mefrom understanding there are better players outthere that we can use him to get. I wouldn't do what the Sixers did (trade Mikal Bridges for Zhaire Smith and a future 1st) but he's not totally off-limits at this point.

I've loved Mikal Bridges since the draft but I wouldn't trade McD even up for him. By the end of next year you wouldn't either. Actually they are similar in many ways. Look at the improvement Bridges has made thru his 3rd year.

A lot of a players stat success rests with what role the coaches have him play too.

Yeah that's my point. I'm not trading for what's lateral player value (at best) at the moment. Has to be a clear upgrade, and even that can be case-to-case dependent.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Klomp wrote:Something that really impressed me today was watching one of his predraft interviews, he said a guy he was watching a lot of film of was Jae Crowder. Just really cool to see when a guy doesn't only focus on the flashy scorers.

What can you bring to a team?

"Bringing that energy and the freedom of being able to play defense really hard and guard 1 through 4, have that versatility. Also, knocking down open shots and creating for others when my opportunity comes."

I LOVE THAT!

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:23 pm

In-season improvement

5.4 ppg (.408/.343/.462), 3.3 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.5 spg, 1.0 bpg in 19.8 mpg (36 games, 2 starts)
8.6 ppg (.486/.384/.789), 4.2 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.9 bpg in 29.5 mpg (27 games, 25 starts)

Yeah minutes can be explained as the reason for the improvement in volume stats, but I think the growth in efficiency is noteworthy.

Here's a comp I don't often hear around here, but I think it's a good one for him to strive for on the top end for a development curve, even better than Jonathan Isaac. It's Brandon Ingram. His rookie numbers:

9.4 ppg (.402/.294/.621), 4.0 rpg, 2.1 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.5 bpg in 28.8 mpg

beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#30 » by beezy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:41 pm

The way Jaden moves, especially on some breakaway layups last year plus his shot blocking instincts reminds me of Scottie Pippen. Now don't think that I believe that's the career he's going to have. Maybe consider him Scottie Pippen light. He has the same body type and if you remember Pippen, when he came into the league, was questioned because of his slight frame. Pippen tirelessly worked on his game until about 4 years into his career he was starting to be viewed as all-star caliber. I think Jaden is very motivated and will do the same in terms of working on his game. Bottom line for me anyway is: Jaden is just a hair less untouchable than Ant, but not by much.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Nick K » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:50 pm

beezy wrote:The way Jaden moves, especially on some breakaway layups last year plus his shot blocking instincts reminds me of Scottie Pippen. Now don't think that I believe that's the career he's going to have. Maybe consider him Scottie Pippen light. He has the same body type and if you remember Pippen, when he came into the league, was questioned because of his slight frame. Pippen tirelessly worked on his game until about 4 years into his career he was starting to be viewed as all-star caliber. I think Jaden is very motivated and will do the same in terms of working on his game. Bottom line for me anyway is: Jaden is just a hair less untouchable than Ant, but not by much.

That is very high praise indeed.I love the guys future. I don't think fans realize how good our Wolves can be. We're conditioned to expect the worse. We have a lot of talent and guys are getting better. We finally have a first rate coach and the front office has performed miracles, in short order, considering the total mess we had.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#32 » by winforlose » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:30 am

Krapinsky wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:How is McDaniels overrated when he was a guy that most people didn't think would play outside of the Gleague? His body wasn't even close to ready, and he still jumped off the screen. His numbers weren't great, but you could tell he was out there, even more so when he started to get some consistent burn. He was arguably a top ten talent last year coming out, his play just didn't warrant it as he was a foul monster and again, had lots of work on his body....but his upside is tremendous. For all the people bitching about needing defense, Jaden McDaniels is easily our closest thing to a savior in that regard. That's not over rating, that's reality.

How is he overrated? Take a look at the trade board, some posters on here consider him borderline untouchable, which is ridiculous. They see see Ben Simmon’s shrinking in the playoffs yet can’t see how McDaniels scores less than 3 points every other game he plays and somehow that doesn’t matter.

McDaniels is found money and I get that— it’s exciting to pull a $20 bill out of that old denim coat you haven’t worn in a year but let’s not pretend for a minute it’s gold plated.

So your half right. MCD is an incredibly raw offensive player who needs to do everything better more consistently. His scoring, handle, 3 point shooting, finish at the rim, ect… all need to improve. That said, MCD is looking like a better version of Roco if developed properly. His legit ability to guard 1-4 combined with shot blocking and athleticism make him untouchable only because we (the current Wolves roster,) don’t have anyone to replace him with. He is V8 with slightly less rebounding, better defense, and a clue on offense: Okogie never had the size and still lacks the shooting of MCD. Outside of those 3 we don’t have a strong on ball defender or really anyone to guard opposing teams stats. Even if Bolmaro comes in and plays stellar defense, I still don’t think we can afford to lose MCD.

You said he is found money, that is also half true. Rosas seemed to want him and had a plan to still get him even when trading down. He is found money for the fan base, but he is an essential piece for the vision of Rosas. Considering that Nowell, Reid, and Ant all seem to be turning out nicely, I would say that minus the Culver of it all maybe the money wasn’t so much found as saved. All of this of course depends on his staying healthy, putting in the work, and having competent instruction.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#33 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:06 am

Nick K wrote:
beezy wrote:The way Jaden moves, especially on some breakaway layups last year plus his shot blocking instincts reminds me of Scottie Pippen. Now don't think that I believe that's the career he's going to have. Maybe consider him Scottie Pippen light. He has the same body type and if you remember Pippen, when he came into the league, was questioned because of his slight frame. Pippen tirelessly worked on his game until about 4 years into his career he was starting to be viewed as all-star caliber. I think Jaden is very motivated and will do the same in terms of working on his game. Bottom line for me anyway is: Jaden is just a hair less untouchable than Ant, but not by much.

That is very high praise indeed.I love the guys future. I don't think fans realize how good our Wolves can be. We're conditioned to expect the worse. We have a lot of talent and guys are getting better. We finally have a first rate coach and the front office has performed miracles, in short order, considering the total mess we had.

Excellent post, Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
mcdanielmark473
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#34 » by mcdanielmark473 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:49 pm

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#35 » by Dewey » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm

I was disappointed we drafted him… now I like the kid… The challenge these prospects have is the fact so many get paid for the potential instead of paid for their actual performance. Therefore, fewer of these youngsters will continue to work hard to reach a higher level of play. For McDaniels you hope he sees the opportunity and need to prove himself being drafted number 28 … he seems like the type of player who is going to put the work in
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#36 » by digitaldropoff » Sun Aug 1, 2021 11:06 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:How is McDaniels overrated when he was a guy that most people didn't think would play outside of the Gleague? His body wasn't even close to ready, and he still jumped off the screen. His numbers weren't great, but you could tell he was out there, even more so when he started to get some consistent burn. He was arguably a top ten talent last year coming out, his play just didn't warrant it as he was a foul monster and again, had lots of work on his body....but his upside is tremendous. For all the people bitching about needing defense, Jaden McDaniels is easily our closest thing to a savior in that regard. That's not over rating, that's reality.

How is he overrated? Take a look at the trade board, some posters on here consider him borderline untouchable, which is ridiculous. They see see Ben Simmon’s shrinking in the playoffs yet can’t see how McDaniels scores less than 3 points every other game he plays and somehow that doesn’t matter.

McDaniels is found money and I get that— it’s exciting to pull a $20 bill out of that old denim coat you haven’t worn in a year but let’s not pretend for a minute it’s gold plated.

So because some people are sensible in saying hey....McDaniels could be as good of a defender as Simmons in the next two years while costing less than 2 million dollars? On trade threads? That's not overrating, that's evaluating and forecasting talent against a talented, but heavily overpaid player in Simmons. Simmons can make some plays on offense if it doesn't involve him scoring the ball, and he's a great, versatile defender....but he makes well over 30 million a year. His shrinking in the playoffs has just made the casual fan realize what everyone already knew about Simmons...he can't hit an open shot to save his life....from three, at the line....he's basically a longer Okogie IMO. So people not wanting to spend assets on a guy that really is only a one way player in the grand scheme of things doesn't overrate a great late round find in McDaniels.

I would move McDaniels in the right deal, but I think Simmons, and specifically, his contract, are gross. I would not include McDaniels to get him...not because I over rate him, it's because I don't think Ben Simmons is really that good. Certainly no where near what he's being paid.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#37 » by Krapinsky » Mon Aug 2, 2021 3:26 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

So because some people are sensible in saying hey....McDaniels could be as good of a defender as Simmons in the next two years while costing less than 2 million dollars? On trade threads? That's not overrating, that's evaluating and forecasting talent against a talented, but heavily overpaid player in Simmons. Simmons can make some plays on offense if it doesn't involve him scoring the ball, and he's a great, versatile defender....but he makes well over 30 million a year. His shrinking in the playoffs has just made the casual fan realize what everyone already knew about Simmons...he can't hit an open shot to save his life....from three, at the line....he's basically a longer Okogie IMO. So people not wanting to spend assets on a guy that really is only a one way player in the grand scheme of things doesn't overrate a great late round find in McDaniels.

I would move McDaniels in the right deal, but I think Simmons, and specifically, his contract, are gross. I would not include McDaniels to get him...not because I over rate him, it's because I don't think Ben Simmons is really that good. Certainly no where near what he's being paid.

Serious question -- have you ever watched Simmons play basketball or do you get your takes from Skip Bayless and Stephen A? I get that trashing Simmons is in vogue right now but this level of hyperbole more than a week late to the party deserves nothing but an eyeroll :roll:
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#38 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:07 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Serious question -- have you ever watched Simmons play basketball or do you get your takes from Skip Bayless and Stephen A? I get that trashing Simmons is in vogue right now but this level of hyperbole more than a week late to the party deserves nothing but an eyeroll :roll:

Ben Simmons is very good at this game called Basketball.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,290

Post#39 » by shrink » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:28 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Ben Simmons is very good at this game called Basketball.

::Brace yourself for geeky-shrink.::

Ben Simmons reminds me of Mon El. When I was a kid, I read a lot of comics. DC used to have Superboy go to the 30th century and join up with the Legion of Super Heroes - a group of 40 different superheroes from various planets around the galaxy. One of those was Mon El. Mon El had all of Superboy’s powers .. strength, flight, super speed, laser vision, etc etc etc. the ultimate superhero package. However, while Superboy’s weakness was the extremely rare kryptonite, Mon El’s weakness was lead. A bullet would kill Mon El.

Mon El is very good at the game of superheroing. He’s more powerful than nearly anyone in the Legion. However, he has a weakness that his foes can easily take advantage of.

Ben Simmons shooting is the same to me. If you can’t (or are unwilling) to shoot, or you have confidence issues, opposing teams will target you. These weaknesses were exposed on the biggest stage in the NBA. Opposing coaches in close games will Hack-a-Ben, particularly in the playoffs.

If Simmons had shown the ability to respond, and to improve his game, I’d be less concerned. That has not been the case, over many years now.

So I don’t disagree that Simmons is a great defender, and he has been successful with the ball in his hands, close to the basket in the regular season. That’s great. But in the NBA, opponents are going to go after you where you are weak, and you need to be able to respond. That isn’t Simmons. He’s great at basketball, except for a fatal (5) flaw, that is unavoidable.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#40 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:51 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ben Simmons is very good at this game called Basketball.

::Brace yourself for geeky-shrink.::

Ben Simmons reminds me of Mon El. When I was a kid, I read a lot of comics. DC used to have Superboy go to the 30th century and join up with the Legion of Super Heroes - a group of 40 different superheroes from various planets around the galaxy. One of those was Mon El. Mon El had all of Superboy’s powers .. strength, flight, super speed, laser vision, etc etc etc. the ultimate superhero package. However, while Superboy’s weakness was the extremely rare kryptonite, Mon El’s weakness was lead. A bullet would kill Mon El.

Mon El is very good at the game of superheroing. He’s more powerful than nearly anyone in the Legion. However, he has a weakness that his foes can easily take advantage of.

Ben Simmons shooting is the same to me. If you can’t (or are unwilling) to shoot, or you have confidence issues, opposing teams will target you. These weaknesses were exposed on the biggest stage in the NBA. Opposing coaches in close games will Hack-a-Ben, particularly in the playoffs.

If Simmons had shown the ability to respond, and to improve his game, I’d be less concerned. That has not been the case, over many years now.

So I don’t disagree that Simmons is a great defender, and he has been successful with the ball in his hands, close to the basket in the regular season. That’s great. But in the NBA, opponents are going to go after you where you are weak, and you need to be able to respond. That isn’t Simmons. He’s great at basketball, except for a fatal (5) flaw, that is unavoidable.

The flaw isn't fatal or he wouldn't be as good as he is. If this flaw was so fatal than the 76ers would have been losing to the Hawks during his time on the floor. They outscored the Hawks with Simmons on the floor 6 games out of 7 and tied with him on the floor in the other game. Can't be a fatal flaw.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves