Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,107

Re: The Daishen Nix thread 

Post#21 » by Nick K » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:30 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:Meh, I don't see much upside with athleticism or any above average skill.
Has shot below 30% from 3 in a pretty good sample size the last 2 years.

At least Ryan could shoot and play the 3.

I expect that last 2-way spot to change hands more than once going forward, maybe as soon as roster cut downs are finalized.

Nix shot better than Ryan in preseason by a wide margin and he can pass and defend better too. Ryan is five years older and probably is as good as he is ever going to be, meanwhile Nix is still improving. TC knows what he is doing.

He shoots absolutely Okogie level brutal for 81 games over 2 years and you are ready to say he's fixed by going 6/7 in 2 preseason games. Sample size matters. and very unathletic. I just don't see it.
But I'm happy to see any of our players prove me wrong.

OUCH! I was just starting to like the guy.
KATKlownFeet
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#22 » by KATKlownFeet » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:42 pm

I don't get the hate for a two way player who flashed some upside this preseason at the age of 21. Its not just this preseason, but he was a star for Rio Grande in the G League, shot very well, rebounded well, passed well and had decent defensive stats and led the team to a title and triple doubled in championship series. He was also a five star high school recruit that was called by some the best point guard in his class. He is more athletic than Jokic, has a very good basketball IQ (which to me is better than great athleticism) and he is very strong for a guard. I love all our two way players including Nix.

He did have one bad shooting year in the NBA last year, that was Marcus Smart bad. However unlike Okogie and Marcus Smart, he never played college ball and he took his lumps with the chaos in Houston who were actively tanking. He's also a two-way guy so expectations are much lower as he is paid peanuts and can be cut anytime. A guy who is 21 can improve his shooting, right? Liking what I see so far in a Wolves uniform.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,068

Post#23 » by wolves_89 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:05 pm

I am beginning to think that Finch should give Nix a few 3-5 minute stretches of playing time. The team needs another real PG and it would be good to figure out what Nix can currently provide (since he is the only available option on the roster). If he crashes and burns at least the team would know they need to be more aggresive in pursuing a better option.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves