ImageImageImage

A trade idea you will all hate but that makes some sense

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#21 » by mandurugo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 pm

deeney0 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
You could argue Durant isn't working in Seattle, they only have 9 wins. You could argue Wade isn't working in Miami, they only have 8 wins. You can argue a lot of things.

I suppose you could argue all of those things, but I don't think that is the arguement being made. Al is "working" here in the sense that he is putting up great offensive numbers on a losing team - again. That little jab aside, I think there are two things being argued here.

1) Draft a guy who plays the same position as your best player or draft for need? Those of us who are fans of BPA always point to Jordan and Drexler though it's never that simple.

2) Is anyone on the wolves untradeable? I would say no.

Specifically for the second example, if the BPA is Beasley playing him at the 4 and Al at the 5 would probably be a disaster. Neither guy is particulary good at defense, so as dominant as they might be on offense they would probably offset it on the defensive side. If you find a defensive center and can play Al at the 4 and Beasley at the 3 the wolves still might be in trouble unless that center is a defensive beast. Because a projected perimeter of Rashad "I don't need to be a lock-down defender" McCants and Randy Foye (who will probably struggle a bit defensively against quicker point guards?) might need some help. These types of concerns (real or imagined) make me open to the possibility of trading any current wolves player if the right deal comes along, including Al.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#22 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:22 pm

No one seemed to notice these points:

A sign & trade cannot be done by any team at this point until July 15, 2008

Iggy turned down 5 years/$57 million. The original poster now thinks he'll sign for 5 years/$55 million?????
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,646

Post#23 » by shrink » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

I could also point out that Al Jefferson isa poison pill provision player, so making the deal work financially within the 125% + $100,000 limit is extremely difficult. But hey -- we're just talkin'

The comment that "nobody is untradable" echoes through many of us after seeing Garnett go in a deal most of thought was appropriate for MIN, BOS, and equally important, KG. So I gave a little thought to who I would trade Al Jefferson for. They'd have to be young, and most likely high lottery picks. He'd bring the most back in trade from a team that could do some damage in the play-offs with Al. So my thoughts drifted over to CHI.

Setting finances aside for a moment, would you trade Al and Craig Smith for Deng (big contract coming), Tyrus and Noah?
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#24 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:27 pm

shrink wrote:Setting finances aside for a moment, would you trade Al and Craig Smith for Deng (big contract coming), Tyrus and Noah?

LOL, **** no. Even Chicago fans realized Deng will never be more than a good starter.

edit: Was that a rhetorical question? If it was, speak now, or forever hold your peace.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,646

Post#25 » by shrink » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:33 pm

Nope -- I'm trying to come up with teams that can put together packages with multiple young talents.

Atlanta maybe?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,701

Post#26 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:17 pm

theGreatRC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LOL, **** no. Even Chicago fans realized Deng will never be more than a good starter.

edit: Was that a rhetorical question? If it was, speak now, or forever hold your peace.

I don't see why this is such a horrible trade for the Wolves. No chance the Bulls do it though. Why would someone trade for Jefferson and Smith together?
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#27 » by andyhop » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:04 pm

shrink wrote:I could also point out that Al Jefferson isa poison pill provision player, so making the deal work financially within the 125% + $100,000 limit is extremely difficult. But hey -- we're just talkin'

The comment that "nobody is untradable" echoes through many of us after seeing Garnett go in a deal most of thought was appropriate for MIN, BOS, and equally important, KG. So I gave a little thought to who I would trade Al Jefferson for. They'd have to be young, and most likely high lottery picks. He'd bring the most back in trade from a team that could do some damage in the play-offs with Al. So my thoughts drifted over to CHI.

Setting finances aside for a moment, would you trade Al and Craig Smith for Deng (big contract coming), Tyrus and Noah?

As we are talking post draft and about a resigned Iggy then both would be BYC ,it might take a bit of swapping of fillers to match it up but that shouldn't be a big deal to work out.

bulls6 point about Iggy's turning down a contract offer is a fair point but I don't think he has done anything that is going to lead to someone offering him more than he was pre season.

As for the trade i'd say Deng=Iggy or near enough, so then it depends on how you see Tyrus and Noah developing as to whether it becomes worth doing.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,701

Post#28 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 pm

andyhop wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

As we are talking post draft and about a resigned Iggy then both would be BYC ,it might take a bit of swapping of fillers to match it up but that shouldn't be a big deal to work out.

bulls6 point about Iggy's turning down a contract offer is a fair point but I don't think he has done anything that is going to lead to someone offering him more than he was pre season.

As for the trade i'd say Deng=Iggy or near enough, so then it depends on how you see Tyrus and Noah developing as to whether it becomes worth doing.

Two BYC's don't offset each other, it actually makes the trade even more difficult. I think.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#29 » by andyhop » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:19 am

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Two BYC's don't offset each other, it actually makes the trade even more difficult. I think.

Two BYC's could make it hard to do but the 76ers are likely to be under the cap so that makes it easier as they can absorb some extra salary to make it work from the Wolves end.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,282

Big Al's deluxe apartment in the sky 

Post#30 » by GopherIt! » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Yeah Andy, we've been deprived of low post scoring for too long to ever think of moving Big Al. We lost seven straight (right?) first round playoff series in part because we could never go inside for critical baskets at crunch time. Instead, KG and our former plethora of jump shooters would typically clank a series of contested 15 to 20 footers to end each season. Ahh, the memories.

Our defense will improve. We are using Gomes more and he's a smart player and pretty savvy on D. Brewer should develop into our best defender but right now he is just a rookie learning his trade. Foye should be alright defensively whenever he gets back. Heck, even Al has a decent chance to develop some skills in that department (when he's not forced to play center.) In summary, I wouldn't put much stock into our defensive struggles right now. Finding a defensive center is a priority but between the draft and lesser trades we can accomplish this without do something drastic like moving Big Al.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves