ImageImageImage

TIMBERWOLVES @ WARRIORS

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#241 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:02 am

dunkonu21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When will girls learn that you can't get quality time when the T-Wolves are on...It's just them talking and you paying attention to the game...

Foreal, someone needs to make a book on these things.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#242 » by deeney0 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:03 am

TheYounGunz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, Gomes just hasn't been playing well in 1 game. It's been an almost an every night thing for Ryan now

Not disagreeing, but there's only going to be one or two teams under the cap this year, none of them are going to throw money at Gomes. MLE is the max he will end up with.
TheYounGunz
Junior
And1: 0

Post#243 » by TheYounGunz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 am

deeney0 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not disagreeing, but there's only going to be one or two teams under the cap this year, none of them are going to throw money at Gomes. MLE is the max he will end up with.

i agree with that. If he keeps playing well till the end of the year, i think he will get MLE type money. Nice thing is, we have bird rights so we don't have to use the MLE on Gomes.

He for sure needs to be kept though
deeney0
RealGM

Post#244 » by deeney0 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:11 am

No, we don't have to use the MLE on Gomes, but we'd pay him the same; if the Wolves pay that much to Gomes, assuming no trades, they've got a little over $4mil left under the lux for Smith/Telfair/Green/Bassy/Richard/any FA's they want.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#245 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:11 am

Let's give Al big props on being a factor and protecting the paint on Baron's drive...that's huge to him...
TheYounGunz
Junior

Post#246 » by TheYounGunz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am

deeney0 wrote:No, we don't have to use the MLE on Gomes, but we'd pay him the same; if the Wolves pay that much to Gomes, assuming no trades, they've got a little over $4mil left under the lux for Smith/Telfair/Green/Bassy/Richard/any FA's they want.

That's true. Still i think Gomes takes priority over those other guys. Green is all but gone at the end of the year. bassy is another question mark. Richard doesn't get min's so it will be interesting to see what they do with him.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#247 » by deeney0 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 am

Right now, I do too. In December, I would've said Craig. There have been a couple games Bassy has gone off. Nothing is for sure until the end of the season.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#248 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:21 am

Craig is staying on the wolves.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,898

Post#249 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:22 am

I don't want to trade any of the pups or anything until we have a better idea of how we are going to draft and who will be the new guys on this roster.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheYounGunz
Junior

Post#250 » by TheYounGunz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:24 am

I don't see Gomes or Smith going anywhere
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#251 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 am

If it comes down to Smith or Gomes, I'd rather keep Gomes. In that case it would be a good idea to package Smith and Toine for a contract that expires this year. That way we'll have some room under the lux next year and can resign Telfair/Richards/Green as backups if we want.

Also, with Gomes and Richards, what use is their for Smith? Great player but his skill are redundant on this team.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#252 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:41 am

YOu keep Gomes to back up Beasley next year.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,405

Post#253 » by shrink » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 am

Without looking it up, I'd guess Gomes is averaging like 17 PPG, 6 RPG since being made a starter. I get so fed up on the trade board when people say he's not worth a late first, or that Jaric (near triple double today) is a useless player. I don't mind trading Gomes for a decent return, but I'd definitely try to bring him back here in the Summer. I see it as trading his next 4 months, which I hope we'd all agree that only lowers our chances in the lottery.

One other point. I think its no coincidence that of our few wins, we have ones against both PHO and GSW, the two best speedy, small ball teams in the league. Unfortunately, we have no real answer this season to big teams.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant

Post#254 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:06 am

Good point shrink...

My theory with it is that we have so much flexability with Jaric and Telfair out there...Telfair guards the quick guys like A.I., Monta and Nash...Jaric guards big strong guys like Baron Davis...Then when Al can guard a small center like Amare or Harrington, it allows us to have Gomes play PF where he is much more likely to be able to post him up...

If we draft Jordan with our pick, then we will have the pieces to guard all the types of teams...
TheYounGunz
Junior

Post#255 » by TheYounGunz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:17 am

shrink wrote:Without looking it up, I'd guess Gomes is averaging like 17 PPG, 6 RPG since being made a starter. I get so fed up on the trade board when people say he's not worth a late first, or that Jaric (near triple double today) is a useless player. I don't mind trading Gomes for a decent return, but I'd definitely try to bring him back here in the Summer. I see it as trading his next 4 months, which I hope we'd all agree that only lowers our chances in the lottery.

One other point. I think its no coincidence that of our few wins, we have ones against both PHO and GSW, the two best speedy, small ball teams in the league. Unfortunately, we have no real answer this season to big teams.

why is everyone so giddy on trading Gomes? You have a nice piece there yet you wanna deal him off? :crazy:
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#256 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 am

dunkonu21 wrote:
If we draft Jordan with our pick, then we will have the pieces to guard all the types of teams...

I assume you mean in three years when Jordan will be ready to contribute? By that time Telfair and Jaric might not be on the team anymore.

Jordan is a project. He has a ways to go people. Don't forget about that.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
cookie_rhino_5_
Ballboy

Post#257 » by cookie_rhino_5_ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:21 am

are there any defensive type centers available next season as FA that we could afford?
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant

Post#258 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:38 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I assume you mean in three years when Jordan will be ready to contribute? By that time Telfair and Jaric might not be on the team anymore.

Jordan is a project. He has a ways to go people. Don't forget about that.

Jordan is a project in that his offensive game is a long ways away from being anything more than dunks...but he defense is not that far away...he needs to gain some muscle, study some tape and he could be a decent defender in the NBA...he already has the big body to guard large centers that Al can't..He could easily play 20-25 minutes a game for us (assuming he doesn't foul out before that)...He is a project, but he will help us immediately.
cookie_rhino_5_
Ballboy

Post#259 » by cookie_rhino_5_ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:03 am

dunkonu21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Jordan is a project in that his offensive game is a long ways away from being anything more than dunks...but he defense is not that far away...he needs to gain some muscle, study some tape and he could be a decent defender in the NBA...he already has the big body to guard large centers that Al can't..He could easily play 20-25 minutes a game for us (assuming he doesn't foul out before that)...He is a project, but he will help us immediately.

I agree...seeing that he potentially fits the type of center that we want next to al, young with outstanding athletic ability, i think that would initially take big pressure off of Al to defend the types of players that he is not capable of (or comfortable with probably is the better set of words). All saying that he does end up coming out after this year...
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#260 » by mandurugo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:18 am

dunkonu21 wrote:Good point shrink...

My theory with it is that we have so much flexability with Jaric and Telfair out there...Telfair guards the quick guys like A.I., Monta and Nash...Jaric guards big strong guys like Baron Davis...Then when Al can guard a small center like Amare or Harrington, it allows us to have Gomes play PF where he is much more likely to be able to post him up...

That would make sense, but it seemed like Jaric was guarding AI the whole time he was out there, Telfair guarded whoever else played next to AI. It seems like Jaric is assigned the toughest opposing guard (e.g. AI, Wade, Davis, etc...)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves