Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Jordan McLaughlin - JMAC 

Post#41 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I just know that if small PGs getting destroyed on defense was such an absolute issue like some of you seem to claim, then guys like Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose, or Garland this past draft would not be getting drafted top 10, top 6, or #1 overall. ANd yet they do, and can win ROYs and MVP and be Allstar leaders of teams all without being top tier defenders. Were they not great? They just have to be great BBIQ players and then they aren't train wreck's defensively. We've had plenty of those and JMac isn't one.

Those guys are huge compared to McLaughlin.

McLaughlin 5'11"
Rose 6'3"
Lillard 6'3"

6'3 :lol: Not quite. No need to inflate things. These guys are all short players still below 200 pounds even later in their career now. 6-2 with shoes on if they are lucky. JMac is very much like a young Derrick Rose to me. An Inch shorter? I don't care.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,680

Post#42 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I just know that if small PGs getting destroyed on defense was such an absolute issue like some of you seem to claim, then guys like Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose, or Garland this past draft would not be getting drafted top 10, top 6, or #1 overall. ANd yet they do, and can win ROYs and MVP and be Allstar leaders of teams all without being top tier defenders. Were they not great? They just have to be great BBIQ players and then they aren't train wreck's defensively. We've had plenty of those and JMac isn't one.

Those guys are huge compared to McLaughlin.

McLaughlin 5'11"
Rose 6'3"
Lillard 6'3"

6'3 :lol: Not quite. No need to inflate things. These guys are all short players still below 200 pounds even later in their career now. 6-2 with shoes on if they are lucky. JMac is very much like a young Derrick Rose to me. An Inch shorter? I don't care.

You think 5-11 to 6-2 is only an inch difference? Where did you go to school?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#43 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Those guys are huge compared to McLaughlin.

McLaughlin 5'11"
Rose 6'3"
Lillard 6'3"

I see, so you are going to be this guy today huh? Who defacated in your cereal today?

These players are both listed all over the internet as 6-2 with shoes on and many people asking if those are bogus numbers.

What's really funny is you harping on me for saying I don't care if JMac is a inch shorter than Rose. Yet you had no problem INFLATING both of those players' heights an inch to serve your purpose.

Step off the rage train today pal.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I see, so you are going to be this guy today huh? Who defacated in your cereal today?

These players are both listed all over the internet as 6-2 with shoes on and many people asking if those are bogus numbers.

What's really funny is you harping on me for saying I don't care if JMac is a inch shorter than Rose. Yet you had no problem INFLATING both of those players' heights an inch to serve your purpose.

Typically the NBA rounds up heights.

Lillard measured at 6'2.75" in shoes at the NBA Combine
Rose measured at 6'2.5" in shoes at the NBA Combine

Sorry that I assumed that these were also rounded up. Maybe it changed this past offseason.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#45 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:You think 5-11 to 6-2 is only an inch difference? Where did you go to school?

Typically the NBA rounds up heights.

Lillard measured at 6'2.75" in shoes at the NBA Combine
Rose measured at 6'2.5" in shoes at the NBA Combine

Sorry that I assumed that these were also rounded up. Maybe it changed this past offseason.

Sort of recently he NBA asked teams and or players to stop lieing about heights. Not sure how strict a request that was but we are starting to see many claims of to high or too low coming down or even going up.

Lillard combine without shoes. 6'1.75"

I'll still take the half apology from you for attacking my schooling over a 1 inch claim when you inflated yours.

Carsen Edwards 5-11

Kemba Walker 6ft in shoes

They are all trash heaps. 3rd bench role if lucky. Can't play any defense. Height too much an issue.

I think one possibility is that a bunch of 5-11 to 6-1 type guys that have spent their lives telling themselves their hieght is the reason they can't play in the NBA just don't like to afford these small guys any credit for still being able to.
flyindutchman
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#46 » by flyindutchman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I am concerned that you threw in the "third string" guy comment that so many are maintaining in each post. Positive comment/third string comment seems to be equation for many posts. I so wish a few of you might start showing us what the difference is to starting or direct backup PGs from what this rookie already has shown that leaves you thinking 3rd string. Because without that from anyone yet and I'm getting the impression this is entirely based on his height/draft and an imaginary limit people are attributing to him. Is that unfair of me to state? Because if it's true then I'm not sure people are being honest with themselves on this player.

Here's the thing.....I don't think it has to do with any imaginary limits. It's about creating the best possible team depth top to bottom. McLaughlin did great in the time that he had...but how was the team's record?

The simple fact is that practically everyone on this team needs to be upgraded if this is going to be a title-contending team. It's not an insult on anyone's ability, it's just a fact of how far a 19-45 team has to go in order to compete in the West. If we're happy staying a lottery team, McLaughlin is a fine starter or second-stringer. I'm sorry for wanting more success out of my favorite basketball team.

This might be the greatest sentence on this forum. You're calling out the record of the team with a back-up PG. Would you apply the same logic to the star of the team? Unbelievable.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:41 pm

flyindutchman wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I am concerned that you threw in the "third string" guy comment that so many are maintaining in each post. Positive comment/third string comment seems to be equation for many posts. I so wish a few of you might start showing us what the difference is to starting or direct backup PGs from what this rookie already has shown that leaves you thinking 3rd string. Because without that from anyone yet and I'm getting the impression this is entirely based on his height/draft and an imaginary limit people are attributing to him. Is that unfair of me to state? Because if it's true then I'm not sure people are being honest with themselves on this player.

Here's the thing.....I don't think it has to do with any imaginary limits. It's about creating the best possible team depth top to bottom. McLaughlin did great in the time that he had...but how was the team's record?

The simple fact is that practically everyone on this team needs to be upgraded if this is going to be a title-contending team. It's not an insult on anyone's ability, it's just a fact of how far a 19-45 team has to go in order to compete in the West. If we're happy staying a lottery team, McLaughlin is a fine starter or second-stringer. I'm sorry for wanting more success out of my favorite basketball team.

This might be the greatest sentence on this forum. You're calling out the record of the team with a back-up PG. Would you apply the same logic to the star of the team? Unbelievable.

Read the very next sentence after the one you bolded.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#48 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Klomp wrote:
flyindutchman wrote:
Klomp wrote:Here's the thing.....I don't think it has to do with any imaginary limits. It's about creating the best possible team depth top to bottom. McLaughlin did great in the time that he had...but how was the team's record?

Read the very next sentence after the one you bolded.

Jmac's record as a rookie pg starter, btw, is 1-1. Clippers win, Denver loss.

I wonder what Teague's record or any of the others were while starting at PG. #6 Culver?

What I don't get is the claim that everyone has to be upgraded. Plenty of average talents floating around on title contending team rosters. Especially the superstar purchased teams who can't afford anyone after the top 3,4,5 players. Getting a decent starting top 5 has often been MN's issue. Too often they are putting three good starters with two bums to below average and then sticking a couple better players on their bench "to carry" the bench. When what they needed was to put their best 5 together to start so they could stay in games during major minutes and then work on the bench and the best insertions of starters as needed for it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:36 am

Jedzz wrote:What I don't get is the claim that everyone has to be upgraded. Plenty of average talents floating around on title contending team rosters. Especially the superstar purchased teams who can't afford anyone after the top 3,4,5 players. Getting a decent starting top 5 has often been MN's issue. Too often they are putting three good starters with two bums to below average and then sticking a couple better players on their bench "to carry" the bench. When what they needed was to put their best 5 together to start so they could stay in games during major minutes and then work on the bench and the best insertions of starters as needed for it.

Upgraded doesn't necessarily mean replaced. It might have to in some situations, but doesn't have to in others.

Take for example a player from a number of years ago in Corey Brewer. In his first stint with the Wolves, he was asked to start and be the primary wing option. In 2009-10, it was Jefferson and Love in the post, rookie Flynn at PG and then Brewer as the top-scoring wing. That team won 15 games. In his second stint, he was still a starter and he still put up similar numbers, but there was another wing ahead of him in Kevin Martin to shoulder the scoring load. That team won 40 games. He was still a starter, but the roster was upgraded in the meantime, which allowed Brewer to slot into a more suitable role where he could thrive.

And I didn't say everyone has to be replaced. I said practically everyone. There may be a couple of players who should stay right where they're at in their current roles.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#50 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:18 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:What I don't get is the claim that everyone has to be upgraded. Plenty of average talents floating around on title contending team rosters. Especially the superstar purchased teams who can't afford anyone after the top 3,4,5 players. Getting a decent starting top 5 has often been MN's issue. Too often they are putting three good starters with two bums to below average and then sticking a couple better players on their bench "to carry" the bench. When what they needed was to put their best 5 together to start so they could stay in games during major minutes and then work on the bench and the best insertions of starters as needed for it.

Upgraded doesn't necessarily mean replaced. It might have to in some situations, but doesn't have to in others.

Take for example a player from a number of years ago in Corey Brewer. In his first stint with the Wolves, he was asked to start and be the primary wing option. In 2009-10, it was Jefferson and Love in the post, rookie Flynn at PG and then Brewer as the top-scoring wing. That team won 15 games. In his second stint, he was still a starter and he still put up similar numbers, but there was another wing ahead of him in Kevin Martin to shoulder the scoring load. That team won 40 games. He was still a starter, but the roster was upgraded in the meantime, which allowed Brewer to slot into a more suitable role where he could thrive.

And I didn't say everyone has to be replaced. I said practically everyone. There may be a couple of players who should stay right where they're at in their current roles.

Practically Everyone is well understood to mean "nearly everyone". Short of everyone by probably the likely core pieces such as Towns/Dlo is what is sounds like. You want to throw some other names in there as not to be upgraded. Please do so we know who you are talking about. Practically everyone doesn't mean upgrading two starters and one bench player. They could trade JJ for Ricky Rubio and upgrade the bench PG role. But that's not practically everyone anything. That's subtracting from one role to feed another role. Drafting three new players also isn't upgrading practically anything as all three might be busts or are rookies at best and you've likely downgraded the next season at minimum.

My point about your take on that regardless is - are you mad? Already only Towns and Okogie remain from prior to Rosas, and Rosas flipped a large number of guys he had brought in last season for the current crop that's only been here since mid February. So the current roster has no business in your argument about the season record/outcome and Rosas has very little cap freedom to start moving everyone yet again. There is no way they can now afford upgrading practically everyone whether you are talking 7 of 15 or 12 of 15 roster spots. It would be just madness if he did it again this soon. Which is why it seems like it would hurt the team a lot if a new owner came in and threw all the current plans away.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 am

Jedzz wrote:My point about your take on that regardless is - are you mad? Already only Towns and Okogie remain from prior to Rosas, and Rosas flipped a large number of guys he had brought in last season for the current crop that's only been here since mid February. So the current roster has no business in your argument about the season record/outcome and Rosas has very little cap freedom to start moving everyone yet again. There is no way they can now afford upgrading practically everyone whether you are talking 7 of 15 or 12 of 15 roster spots. It would be just madness if he did it again this soon. Which is why it seems like it would hurt the team a lot if a new owner came in and threw all the current plans away.

I never said I want this to happen now, this offseason. I'm not expecting an immediate turnaround from 19 wins to a title contender. That's not very realistic. Not only because of cap restrictions, as you mentioned. But I do think that's ultimately what needs to happen in order to contend for a title.

Worth noting that upgrading can also happen by player development. Rookie Giannis was not the same player as 2019-20 Giannis. Rookie Garnett was not the same player as MVP Garnett. Rookie Steph Curry was not the same as MVP Curry. Those players weren't good enough to be considered No. 1 options on title contenders at that time. If I was looking at those early years, I would probably say an upgrade is needed. That's why an upgrade does't necessarily mean replacing them on the roster.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#52 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:My point about your take on that regardless is - are you mad? Already only Towns and Okogie remain from prior to Rosas, and Rosas flipped a large number of guys he had brought in last season for the current crop that's only been here since mid February. So the current roster has no business in your argument about the season record/outcome and Rosas has very little cap freedom to start moving everyone yet again. There is no way they can now afford upgrading practically everyone whether you are talking 7 of 15 or 12 of 15 roster spots. It would be just madness if he did it again this soon. Which is why it seems like it would hurt the team a lot if a new owner came in and threw all the current plans away.

I never said I want this to happen now, this offseason. I'm not expecting an immediate turnaround from 19 wins to a title contender. That's not very realistic. Not only because of cap restrictions, as you mentioned. But I do think that's ultimately what needs to happen in order to contend for a title.

Worth noting that upgrading can also happen by player development. Rookie Giannis was not the same player as 2019-20 Giannis. Rookie Garnett was not the same player as MVP Garnett. Rookie Steph Curry was not the same as MVP Curry. Those players weren't good enough to be considered No. 1 options on title contenders at that time. If I was looking at those early years, I would probably say an upgrade is needed. That's why an upgrade does't necessarily mean replacing them on the roster.

What? You want to "upgrade" most of them, but that doesn't mean you necessarily want to replace them? Yeah ok, this is called backtracking on your initial claims. You pointed at the record and said it sucked because JMac was on the roster. When we told you the whole roster is new andt he record is meaningless you said ...most of it needs to be upgraded. Now you are saying we can upgrade them over time, not replace them. This is a sliding stance if ever there was.

I want you to focus on your examples now of rookie Giannis, Garnet, and Steph and your estimation of them at the time and then what they became later and now look at rookie JMac, excuse the fact he was a rookie, excuse the fact he wasn't a FRP like these others, and just see what he showed on the court as a rookie and realize he's the same, that he can bring more of that into the future for this team just like those other rookies did more than they did as rookies. Now if that's possible for you to imagine, I dare you are anyone to say that this isn't enough from our backup PG role. If you truly believe the upgrading can happen by developing, then JMac can develop defense, can get even more amazing on offense. But if you are in fact just sliding your stance whichever way the wind demands well then forget it. Because so far all the posts have been replace replace replace with big questionmarks as people hope for a gift #1 option from the draft, yet again.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#53 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:09 pm

Here is someone talking about Fred VanVleet. Where did he come from. What was he capable of on the largest stage in the finals? How did Toronto find such a gem? What do people think he is worth now?

ATRAIN53 wrote:The best thing about the Raptors championship-
besides Khawi sticking a fork in the mighty GSW run and shutting down Oracle with a big L

Was Fred VanVleet stepping up in the huge moments and knocking down huge shots.

If you can't cheer for a 6'1" Back Up PG that didn't get drafted but refused to give up
his NBA dream and battled thru this amount of getting called up and down from the G league to stick.....

July 18, 2016: Signed a multi-year contract with the Toronto Raptors
November 11, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
November 12, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
November 16, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
November 16, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
November 17, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
November 27, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
November 28, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
November 30, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 1, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 2, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 15, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 18, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 19, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 20, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 22, 2016: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
December 23, 2016: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
January 4, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
January 8, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
January 9, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
January 11, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
February 10, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
February 12, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
February 21, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
February 22, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
February 23, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
February 27, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
March 28, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
March 29, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
March 30, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
March 31, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
April 25, 2017: Assigned to the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
April 28, 2017: Recalled from the Raptors 905 of the G-League.
July 6, 2018: Signed as a free agent with the Toronto Raptors.

This is much the path of Jordan McLaughlin. Where do these players learn to take advantage of their shots in the NBA? This is how. But imagine Toronto didn't keep him around and just found anyone they could to replace him. Do they ever win the finals?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Jedzz wrote:What? You want to "upgrade" most of them, but that doesn't mean you necessarily want to replace them? Yeah ok, this is called backtracking on your initial claims. You pointed at the record and said it sucked because JMac was on the roster. When we told you the whole roster is new andt he record is meaningless you said ...most of it needs to be upgraded. Now you are saying we can upgrade them over time, not replace them. This is a sliding stance if ever there was.

No backtracking at all.

If Minnesota adds a backup PG but doesn't subtract McLaughlin from the roster, he hasn't been replaced on the roster. He's still on the roster. I never blamed McLaughlin for Minnesota's record. I do believe most of the roster will need to be upgraded eventually, but I'm not foolish enough to think it will happen immediately. However, the team won't contend for a title until it happens.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#55 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:What? You want to "upgrade" most of them, but that doesn't mean you necessarily want to replace them? Yeah ok, this is called backtracking on your initial claims. You pointed at the record and said it sucked because JMac was on the roster. When we told you the whole roster is new andt he record is meaningless you said ...most of it needs to be upgraded. Now you are saying we can upgrade them over time, not replace them. This is a sliding stance if ever there was.

No backtracking at all.

If Minnesota adds a backup PG but doesn't subtract McLaughlin from the roster, he hasn't been replaced on the roster. He's still on the roster. I never blamed McLaughlin for Minnesota's record. I do believe most of the roster will need to be upgraded eventually, but I'm not foolish enough to think it will happen immediately. However, the team won't contend for a title until it happens.

You pointed to the record as a reason to draft a replacement for JMac. yes u did. just stop.

Thanks for the wisdom. The team won't compete for a title until they luck into drafting 5 #1 option title contending players. Got it.

The team can focus on keeping the proven players and bringing in new players to fillin depth behind unproven players to cover themselves in case that player needs to be replaced. ie: Building a team.

If Minnsota adds a backup PG wihout subtracting JMac it depends on where they got them on and how much they cost in figuring out whether JMac will ever get over 10 minutes again or not. They already still have Culver which you specifically and the Wolves team drafted to be the starting point guard. So he's already a depth guard they've sunk money into and maybe you guys could give these players two years to develop and prove something for once. JMac was proving things (more than Culver) as a undrafted gleagued rookie which is just a gift and you guys all want to stomp on it. It's amazing.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,140

Post#56 » by shangrila » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm

I wouldn't go out of my way to replace McLaughlin but I wouldn't overlook others just because he's already on the roster either.

It would have to be an upgrade however and most specifically on the defensive end. For example, to use the draft, I'd take Maxey, Jones or Lewis Jr because I think they would be upgrades (Maxey and Jones defensively, Lewis I just think is a sleeper). On the flip side I wouldn't take a Tyrell Terry or Nico Mannion because I don't think they'd be enough of an upgrade, if one at all, to bother.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#57 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

shangrila wrote:I wouldn't go out of my way to replace McLaughlin but I wouldn't overlook others just because he's already on the roster either.

It would have to be an upgrade however and most specifically on the defensive end. For example, to use the draft, I'd take Maxey, Jones or Lewis Jr because I think they would be upgrades (Maxey and Jones defensively, Lewis I just think is a sleeper). On the flip side I wouldn't take a Tyrell Terry or Nico Mannion because I don't think they'd be enough of an upgrade, if one at all, to bother.

I only saw Mannion once and it was enough to make me want us to go Star Wars on him. Keep him in a galaxy far, far away from our team. If you want a defensive upgrade to J Mac get all in on Campazzo. Euro DPoY.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,140

Post#58 » by shangrila » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:I wouldn't go out of my way to replace McLaughlin but I wouldn't overlook others just because he's already on the roster either.

I only saw Mannion once and it was enough to make me want us to go Star Wars on him. Keep him in a galaxy far, far away from our team. If you want a defensive upgrade to J Mac get all in on Campazzo. Euro DPoY.

Ironically, I don't hate Mannion. I think he could be a solid backup for years.

But the point I'm trying to make is that it has to be an upgrade as a whole. Maxey, for example, would be an upgrade defensively but could be just as good offensively (in a different style though). Someone like Campazzo...I just wonder if the improved defence would make up for the (presumably, I don't know much about this guy) worse offence.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#59 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:16 pm

shangrila wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Ironically, I don't hate Mannion. I think he could be a solid backup for years.

But the point I'm trying to make is that it has to be an upgrade as a whole. Maxey, for example, would be an upgrade defensively but could be just as good offensively (in a different style though). Someone like Campazzo...I just wonder if the improved defence would make up for the (presumably, I don't know much about this guy) worse offence.

I was actually on a flight when I saw him play. They were getting trounced and he seemed ultra reliant on the bounce pass, didn't drive the rim and pretty much did everything else wrong. Probably just one bad game, but it was enough for me to go Star Wars on him.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#60 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:31 am

Tyrell Terry's outside shooting might earn him a role in the league if he ever gets the chances. Who wouldn't want a 50% corner shooter who shoots confidently. But I think his low burst, weak frame and poor inside game could limit him to a depth combo guard/shooting guard. His burst and strength is low. His frame doesn't appear to be one we are going to see get stronger. But again, that outside shooting is something to note even with defenders right on him. It's a quick release from deep and contested they still go in. That's promising. If he shows up in the league with a high BBIQ and somehow gaining strength I wouldn't rule him out. When you say you wouldn't take him, are you saying "at all", or are you saying maybe only second round or undrafted would you consider it?

Second round players people completely overlooked recently:
JRich!, Pat Connaughton, Norman Powell!, Mitchell Robinson!, Brogdan, Layman!

Undrafted players people overlooked recently:
JMac!, Christian Wood!,Nunn! Duncan Robinson, Royce Oneale, FVV!, Nwaba

I would say others you liked there are likely downgrades offensively from JMac both in what they can do creating for and finishing themselves, and what they can do for others offensively. You are possibly going to lose all that just to "hope" or "imagine" that they will bring better defense? Listen to yourself for a second. "I'd take Maxey,Jones,Lewis Jr because..." Because you "think they would" at least be better in defense.

It's nice to have a player that defends well. I can't say it's something easy to translate to defending NBA players. It's a toss up. It also shouldn't be your primary focus. They have to be capable offensively first. Work on them defensively if needed.

You don't actually know what any of them will bring defensively or of BBIQ. Won't know until they make that leap. That's why I'm sold on JMac's complete offensive skills and creation for others now proven in a partial rookie season already.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves