ImageImageImage

Fun facts and unreal stats

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Re: Fun facts and unreal stats 

Post#521 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 7:27 am

According to AROD, last year the Wolves had 0 players with 3% body fat. Ownership got together with Finch and TC and they discussed a plan to get as much of the team there as possible. Karl, Rudy, Jaden, and NAW all hit the benchmark. AROD also said that several others are between 4% and 5% body fat. He attributes this to our increased defensive ability and stamina in the fourth quarters this playoffs. Not mentioned by AROD but heavily discussed during the Lakers series against Denver, the Nuggets had better conditioning than the Lakers and the Lakers were gassed by the 4th quarter. It is not a coincidence that two heavily conditioned teams were both built and supervised by TC.

I got this off the Dane Moore NBA podcast from Thursday May 9th.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,289

Post#522 » by shrink » Fri May 10, 2024 1:27 pm

winforlose wrote:According to AROD, last year the Wolves had 0 players with 3% body fat. Ownership got together with Finch and TC and they discussed a plan to get as much of the team there as possible. Karl, Rudy, Jaden, and NAW all hit the benchmark. AROD also said that several others are between 4% and 5% body fat. He attributes this to our increased defensive ability and stamina in the fourth quarters this playoffs. Not mentioned by AROD but heavily discussed during the Lakers series against Denver, the Nuggets had better conditioning than the Lakers and the Lakers were gassed by the 4th quarter. It is not a coincidence that two heavily conditioned teams were both built and supervised by TC.

3% is too low a goal, and likely unhealthy for long periods of time. For reference, elite body builders try to cut down to 3-5% a week before shows, using extreme, and unhealthy, techniques. Our bodies need more fat than that to function properly.

Quick story. Historically, the NBA player with the lowest body fat percentage was probably Karl Malone, who at one point was on the cover of Men’s Fitness as “The NBA’s Fittest Man.” He engaged in extreme, and often private workouts to spend his career in the 4-5% level. In 2004, near the end of his career, he tried to ring chase by joining the Lakers. Malone was another one of those psychologically absurd players that use it to become HOF players, and he worked out so hard over the summer that he showed up for his first day at 2.7%.

You know what the Lakers did? Sent him home, and told him to eat some cheeseburgers. They said that there is a limit on body fat that can be too low, for longterm muscle function, and for the constant pounding NBA players inflict on each other.

Thanks for the head’s up on this podcast - I’m very interested in listening, but I’m going in with a lot of skepticism. Maybe the interview will convince me otherwise, but I am wondering if ARod is just saying things to try to gain an advantage - maybe get in the Nuggets heads when they think, “oh man, my body fat isn’t 3%! I have no chance and should just give up.”
winforlose
General Manager

Post#523 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 1:52 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:According to AROD, last year the Wolves had 0 players with 3% body fat. Ownership got together with Finch and TC and they discussed a plan to get as much of the team there as possible. Karl, Rudy, Jaden, and NAW all hit the benchmark. AROD also said that several others are between 4% and 5% body fat. He attributes this to our increased defensive ability and stamina in the fourth quarters this playoffs. Not mentioned by AROD but heavily discussed during the Lakers series against Denver, the Nuggets had better conditioning than the Lakers and the Lakers were gassed by the 4th quarter. It is not a coincidence that two heavily conditioned teams were both built and supervised by TC.

3% is too low a goal, and likely unhealthy for long periods of time. For reference, elite body builders try to cut down to 3-5% a week before shows, using extreme, and unhealthy, techniques. Our bodies need more fat than that to function properly.

Quick story. Historically, the NBA player with the lowest body fat percentage was probably Karl Malone, who at one point was on the cover of Men’s Fitness as “The NBA’s Fittest Man.” He engaged in extreme, and often private workouts to spend his career in the 4-5% level. In 2004, near the end of his career, he tried to ring chase by joining the Lakers. Malone was another one of those psychologically absurd players that use it to become HOF players, and he worked out so hard over the summer that he showed up for his first day at 2.7%.

You know what the Lakers did? Sent him home, and told him to eat some cheeseburgers. They said that there is a limit on body fat that can be too low, for longterm muscle function, and for the constant pounding NBA players inflict on each other.

Thanks for the head’s up on this podcast - I’m very interested in listening, but I’m going in with a lot of skepticism. Maybe the interview will convince me otherwise, but I am wondering if ARod is just saying things to try to gain an advantage - maybe get in the Nuggets heads when they think, “oh man, my body fat isn’t 3%! I have no chance and should just give up.”

This is not my area. I have no clue about healthy vs unhealthy body fat percentages in basketball players. I do know that the team and players have nutritionists, chefs, and sports medicine docs. Beyond that I have no specific opinion.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,464

Post#524 » by Klomp » Wed May 15, 2024 11:14 pm

A potential Game 7 on Sunday would also represent the 20-year anniversary of the 2004 WCSF Game 7 win over the Kings AND also is the birthday of one Kevin Garnett....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#525 » by Klomp » Fri May 17, 2024 5:16 am

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#526 » by Klomp » Fri May 17, 2024 6:13 am

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#527 » by Klomp » Fri May 17, 2024 6:41 am

In 1990, with the series split 2-2, Michael Jordan followed consecutive 40-point games by struggling to score 22 points on 7-19 FGs in a Game 5 loss to Detroit. They came back to win Game 6 at home by 18 points, with him scoring an efficient 29 points on 11-20 FGs to force Game 7 back on the defending champs' home floor.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#528 » by Klomp » Fri May 17, 2024 7:04 am

I thought I had posted it earlier in the season, but I guess not...Holding the opponent to 109 points or less is the key to our success this year.

Opponent scores 109 or less: Regular season 44-6, Playoffs 6-0
Opponent scores 110 or more: Regular season 12-20, Playoffs 1-3

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,289

Post#529 » by shrink » Fri May 17, 2024 3:06 pm

Klomp wrote:I thought I had posted it earlier in the season, but I guess not...Holding the opponent to 109 points or less is the key to our success this year.

Opponent scores 109 or less: Regular season 44-6, Playoffs 6-0
Opponent scores 110 or more: Regular season 12-20, Playoffs 1-3

This is more evidence that our offense doesn’t win games - our defense does.
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#530 » by Zonarosa » Sun May 19, 2024 1:50 pm

shrink wrote:

yeah, not only is 3% a completely ridiculous goal, you’d also see a hell of a lot more vascularity.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#531 » by winforlose » Mon May 20, 2024 2:32 am

There is a new record for biggest comeback in a game 7. We were down 15 and won. Before the record was 11.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#532 » by winforlose » Mon May 20, 2024 4:13 am

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#533 » by Klomp » Mon May 20, 2024 6:14 am

Read on Twitter

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,242

Post#534 » by Neeva » Mon May 20, 2024 6:21 am

winforlose wrote:There is a new record for biggest comeback in a game 7. We were down 15 and won. Before the record was 11.

Weren’t wolves down 20 at one point in the third.it was looking bleak for us :o
winforlose
General Manager

Post#535 » by winforlose » Mon May 20, 2024 6:24 am

Neeva wrote:
winforlose wrote:There is a new record for biggest comeback in a game 7. We were down 15 and won. Before the record was 11.

The stat was tracked by the half time deficit. But yes it did look bleak.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#536 » by Klomp » Mon May 20, 2024 6:26 am

Read on Twitter

winforlose
General Manager

Post#537 » by winforlose » Mon May 20, 2024 7:04 am

Neeva wrote:

Was watching an ESPN video (link below,) and they said coming back from down 20 in a game 7 is the largest comeback in 25 years. Of course no team had ever come back from being down more than 11 at halftime so the larger deficits were probably on their way back to even by halftime.

moretins
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#538 » by moretins » Mon May 20, 2024 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter
winforlose
General Manager

Post#539 » by winforlose » Mon May 20, 2024 9:55 pm

Read on Twitter