ImageImageImage

2023 Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Re: 2023 Free Agency 

Post#61 » by younggunsmn » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:28 am

After reading Dane's post Naz signing cap breakdown, I think it's even more likely that Prince is waived.

He has us at only 5.85 million left before signing NAW. SInce's NAW's tender is 7.07 million, just offering that would put us into the tax.
We could clear 300k by cutting Jmac and replacing him with a vet minimum.

I expect Prince to be traded or waived before Wednesday.
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#62 » by fattymcgee » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:37 am

TimberKat wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Watanabe was a good 3 and D guy off the bench. I think he can replace TP. He is a more consistent player and better D than Prince.

IDK, I think you might just have a man crush on him... which is fine but, I am not interested in him, nor do I think he is better than Prince.

Even though ignorance is bliss, you still should watch your language in posts.

I'm not following what you mean here, can you explain please?
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#63 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:55 am

fattymcgee wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
IDK, I think you might just have a man crush on him... which is fine but, I am not interested in him, nor do I think he is better than Prince.

Even though ignorance is bliss, you still should watch your language in posts.

I think he thinks man crush is homophobic?

When in reality...

man crush
nounINFORMAL
an intense and typically non-sexual liking or admiration felt by one man for another.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#64 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:59 am

younggunsmn wrote:After reading Dane's post Naz signing cap breakdown, I think it's even more likely that Prince is waived.

He has us at only 5.85 million left before signing NAW. SInce's NAW's tender is 7.07 million, just offering that would put us into the tax.

I think the board and Wolves fans in general have some recency bias with NAW. I don’t think he’ll cost what we all think to bring him back.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by younggunsmn » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:03 am

Guaranteed:
1. Gobert 41.00
2. KAT 36.01
3. Conley 24.36
4. ANT 13.53
5. NAZ 12.95
6. Anderson 9.22
7. McDaniels 3.90
8. Moore 2.42
9. Minott 1.72
Total 145.11

Draft picks:
10. Miller (1.10)
11. Clark (1.10)

Unguaranteed:
Prince 7.46
McLaughlin 2.32
Knight 2.00

Restricted Free Agent
NAW (7.07 tender)

Restricted Free Agent (2-way)
Garza
Ryan

Veteran Minimum (2+ yr) cap hit: 2.02 million
Luxury tax threshold: 165 million

So, lets say you take the 9 guaranteed contracts, the 2 draft picks, and NAW
That's 154.38 million for 12 roster spots.

3 more vet minimum players and you are at 160.42 million, about 4.5 million below the tax.
If you roll with 14 contracts all year, that opens up another 2 million.
But with Clark already injured, I have a hard time seeing that.
If you keep McLaughlin, it costs another 300k.
I would budget another 1.5 million for 2 way players.

So If you cut prince and offer NAW, we are looking at maybe 5 million to offer a free agent guard.
Maybe you sign NAW to a 2 or 3 year deal starting lower than the QO and you are able to clear another million or 2.

So here's my mock free agency:
Cut McLaughlin and Knight.
Trade Moore and Prince for TJ MCConell.
Sign Garza for the vet min.
Sign Miller and Clark to 3 year deals (Millers fully guaranteed, Clark only first year for 50%)
Sign NAW to a 3/18 ascending deal starting at 5.5 million

1. Gobert 41.00
2. KAT 36.01
3. Conley 24.36
4. ANT 13.53
5. NAZ 12.95
6. Anderson 9.22
7. McConnell 8.70
8. NAW 5.50
9. McDaniels 3.90
10. Minott 1.72
11. Miller 1.10
12. Clark 1.10
13. Garza 2.02
14. Vet Min PG 2.02

163.13 million

14 roster spots, with 3 2-way players ready to fill in for Injuries, 2 of whom should be guards or wings.

Ecstatic that we signed Naz, but any way that we cut the pie, we are going to be right up against the lux again.
Not great when we can't sign a player without going into the tax during the season, like a couple years ago when not being able to sign Greg Monroe until late in the year cost us at least a couple games.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#66 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:05 am

Krapinsky wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:After reading Dane's post Naz signing cap breakdown, I think it's even more likely that Prince is waived.

I think the board and Wolves fans in general have some recency bias with NAW. I don’t think he’ll cost what we all think to bring him back.

I think you're right. He played so well down the stretch that it's only human nature. If we can re-sign him for 3/$15M, that would be a nice bargain. I definitely want him back. He and Jaden are a handful defensively.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,664

Post#67 » by jpatrick » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:06 am

I would be shocked if Prince is waived. We have zero shooting off the bench. We need someone like Prince. If he’s not on the team, I think it’s much more likely because we used him as an asset (non-guaranteed contract) in a trade.

I think it’s much more likely NAW isn’t on the team next season than Prince. And if he’s resigned, I’d guess it starts at less than 6 million.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by younggunsmn » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:09 am

Krapinsky wrote:

The tender puts us in a weird spot where he might be better off financially playing it out because it's a bit better than his actual value.
A better cap number might come only with a longer term deal and that is my hope.
May be even lower than the ~6 mil a year I had projected.
We believed in him after he bounced around, that has to count for a lot.

His defense was exceptional in the playoffs and I have a hard time seeing us let him walk, being a former top 15 pick and with us still owing so many 1st rounders. I definitely think he has more value to this team than Taurean Prince, given his performance and our current roster balance issues, recency bias aside.
And I was someone who was dead sure there was no way we'd be making him a RFA tender offer at the time of the trade.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#69 » by Norseman79 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:14 am

I think we are more likely to trade Prince than cut him
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,735

Post#70 » by TimberKat » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:20 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
fattymcgee wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Even though ignorance is bliss, you still should watch your language in posts.

When in reality...

man crush
nounINFORMAL
an intense and typically non-sexual liking or admiration felt by one man for another.

Wow, such a smart response. I am not going that low. Is it time to kick this guy out or what? If you really think about what you just wrote, you know what that is saying about you right?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by younggunsmn » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:40 am

Watching the Nuggets run such a short rotation in their title run, It makes me wonder how important the bottom of the roster is, and If it pays to be more top-heavy in allocating resources. Of course, injuries kind of blow all that up, so you are taking a risk.

They basically only played 8 players and didn't have a traditional big or backup PG off the bench among those 8.
That model isn't going to work for most teams, but those 8 were all pretty solid as 2-way players.
How do we shape up:

Starters:
Conley
ANT
Jaden
KAT
Gobert

Key bench playersL
Naz
Anderson

Potential top 9:
NAW
Prince

I think we are one dynamic guard away from having a pretty solid top 9, with NAW joining NAZ and Slo-Mo on our bench crew.

I like Prince's shooting, but he offers little else and would be the 3rd frontcourt player off the bench.
In a perfect world you keep him, but with us trying to avoid the tax we aren't going to be able to add more than a vet min Guard if we keep him and NAW. I'd like to do better than Austin Rivers and Bryn Forbes next year.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:57 am

TimberKat wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
fattymcgee wrote:

When in reality...

man crush
nounINFORMAL

Wow, such a smart response. I am not going that low. Is it time to kick this guy out or what? If you really think about what you just wrote, you know what that is saying about you right?

Did you even read it?

Honestly I am not even following what the problem is or what you are talking about. Nothing I said was insulting or offensive or anything that should cause a reaction. All that was said is you might have an intense plutonic, admiration and respect for a player. It isn't an insult. As you might guess by my screen name I have a man crush on Vince Vaughn. I provided the definition to clear up any of your confusion, I don't know what else to do to explain you may have just not been familiar with a term and you took umbrage for no reason.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#73 » by TwolvesFanRome » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:51 am

According to you we could end up with this roster?

Conley / TJM or T.Jones or Schroeder
Ant / NAW / WMJ
McDaniels / Minott
KAT / SlowMo
Gobert / NAZ
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,300

Post#74 » by andyhop » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:20 am

jpatrick wrote:

I would be shocked if Prince is waived. We have zero shooting off the bench. We need someone like Prince. If he’s not on the team, I think it’s much more likely because we used him as an asset (non-guaranteed contract) in a trade.

I think it’s much more likely NAW isn’t on the team next season than Prince. And if he’s resigned, I’d guess it starts at less than 6 million.

I think you tell Prince you love having him here but he is going to have to take a cut if he wants to stay. Waive him , tell him Good Luck and if nothing decent comes along for him elsewhere for him to get in touch
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,287

Post#75 » by shrink » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:29 am

wolves_89 wrote:
minimus wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:

Honestly I dont see any point to cut McLaughlin if we can stay under lux

The Wolves can save $300K by cutting McLaughlin and replacing him with a vet min deal. With where the Wolves are with respect to the luxury tax line that $300K might actually matter.

I think the continuity of having him as their third string PG, in practice and off the court, is worth the $300k.

I don’t know what happened to his shot. Maybe it was the injury. But since he shot okay the previous season, I can’t believe he simply forgot how to shoot at all. The team liked him and played well when he was on the court the previous season, plus he plays the Finchy-way (get the ball up the court quickly and start the offense with a quick pass, early in the shot clock. As I recall, his willingness to pass helped keep the ball from becoming sticky with other players too.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#76 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:43 pm

jpatrick wrote:

This is how I feel. I feel like he's a bargain at $7.3M on an expiring deal. He's important from a shooting and team chemistry stand point.

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:07 pm

andyhop wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

I think you tell Prince you love having him here but he is going to have to take a cut if he wants to stay. Waive him , tell him Good Luck and if nothing decent comes along for him elsewhere for him to get in touch

I think NAW is a greater need than Prince. I don't know if you need to cut or trade him, but as this roster is constructed he is the odd man out (has been since last season). Personally, I would like to see if we can find a trade that maybe slightly reduces salary, but helps round out the roster... this can be one player or a 2 for 1, find some contract or contracts in the 3,4,5 mil range teams might part with to clear space (contracts we kind of need). Obviously, the idea of re-signing him for less should be on the table, but at his current salary it might be best to part ways and give Anderson more minutes at the 3 especially after the Naz signing.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#78 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:16 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

This is how I feel. I feel like he's a bargain at $7.3M on an expiring deal. He's important from a shooting and team chemistry stand point.

The shooting is nice, but even PER36, he's 2 makes a game from 3. I'd sacrifice a few % for someone that can get more volume up. Plus he's a worse rebounder than McDaniels and prone to some really bad decisions on the court.

I also wonder if he'll be as good of a teammate if his minutes get pretty heavily cut in a contract year. With Naz back, I'd expect Anderson to play more SF, meaning less minutes for Prince.

We really need to turn his contract into a legit back-up PG. Conley is 36 and has a history of missing double-digit games throughout his career. And we really can't expect him to play more than 30-32 when he is healthy.

If we could turn him into Morris (who has never shot less than 38% from 3), I think we'd have to.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#79 » by life_saver » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:18 pm

I wanted Schroeder in last year's FA..I still think despite his flaws, he can be one of the better value contracts we can find in market right now, especially as we are in need of another ball handler. If we can't sign NAW, then I'd love Wolves to go at Schroeder

Read on Twitter
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#80 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:20 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
andyhop wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

I think NAW is a greater need than Prince. I don't know if you need to cut or trade him, but as this roster is constructed he is the odd man out (has been since last season). Personally, I would like to see if we can find a trade that maybe slightly reduces salary, but helps round out the roster... this can be one player or a 2 for 1, find some contract or contracts in the 3,4,5 mil range teams might part with to clear space (contracts we kind of need). Obviously, the idea of re-signing him for less should be on the table, but at his current salary it might be best to part ways and give Anderson more minutes at the 3 especially after the Naz signing.

I thought NAW looked GREAT for a short stint when Jaden was out in the playoffs. He is now being overrated because he is 'found money' that has surpassed the zero expectations he started with.

With Jaden resuming his role as full time starter and the go to defensive stopper, I think NAW becomes far less important and will have a hard time finding rotation minutes given he contributes so little in other areas. That said, I'd like to bring him back but I think a guard/wing that can create some offense on the bench is going to be a bigger priority for this team. Edwards is really the only dynamic 1-4 we have on the entire roster.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves