ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#81 » by Krapinsky » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 pm

Marc Lore is a very impressive guy from a business stand point. A-Rod obviously knows athletes and what its like to be a part of a winning franchise. This is a giant leap forward for the Wolves.

With regard to relocation, I think it's up to the fans. Are they going to support the team and help sell-out the Target Center if we put together a competitive basketball team? If not, then can't blame any ownership group for moving. The Wolves are the rare NBA city where they are the 5th? most popular team after Twins, Wild, Viking, and Gophers.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#82 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:58 am

A-Rod being apart of the deal caught me by surprise, but also -- the fact that A-Rod has $750M to pay Glen Taylor (based on reported 50-50 split with Lore) -- really caught me by surprise. That's quite a fortune. Is he the richest athlete in the world?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#83 » by theGreatRC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:27 am

Krapinsky wrote:A-Rod being apart of the deal caught me by surprise, but also -- the fact that A-Rod has $750M to pay Glen Taylor (based on reported 50-50 split with Lore) -- really caught me by surprise. That's quite a fortune. Is he the richest athlete in the world?

From what I know, he invested a ton of his baseball earnings that paid off big time, instead of blowing big chunks of it like 70% of athletes do(There a stat that many athletes go broke 10 years after their careers are over, but I would hope that number goes down with the amount of information and investment opportunities available to these athletes). He has money in businesses that ending up booming + connections from his name alone brought in big bucks.

investing your money is a gamble, but I'm sure he has the best people around him to put his money in all the right places
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#84 » by KGdaBom » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 am

I still haven't seen anything saying that A Rod and Lore have bought the Wolves. Just that in negotiations.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#85 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 am

Yeah Negotiation. Something Glen has been doing for the past 10 years.. can't let go. Won't let go.
KGdaBom wrote:I still haven't seen anything saying that A Rod and Lore have bought the Wolves. Just that in negotiations.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,677

Post#86 » by Worm Guts » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:25 pm

theGreatRC wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:A-Rod being apart of the deal caught me by surprise, but also -- the fact that A-Rod has $750M to pay Glen Taylor (based on reported 50-50 split with Lore) -- really caught me by surprise. That's quite a fortune. Is he the richest athlete in the world?

From what I know, he invested a ton of his baseball earnings that paid off big time, instead of blowing big chunks of it like 70% of athletes do(There a stat that many athletes go broke 10 years after their careers are over, but I would hope that number goes down with the amount of information and investment opportunities available to these athletes). He has money in businesses that ending up booming + connections from his name alone brought in big bucks.

investing your money is a gamble, but I'm sure he has the best people around him to put his money in all the right places

Just being famous opens a lot of potential revenue streams (books, appearances, endorsements). There are also a lot of pretty basic investment opportunities that will allow you grow your money pretty quick if you take advantage (Putting all your money in Apple stock 5 years ago would have quadrupled it), so I'm not all that surprised A-Rod has that much money. Of course I'm sure he'll be taking out loans to pay that 750m as well.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,100

Post#87 » by thinktank » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:50 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Yeah Negotiation. Something Glen has been doing for the past 10 years.. can't let go. Won't let go.
KGdaBom wrote:I still haven't seen anything saying that A Rod and Lore have bought the Wolves. Just that in negotiations.

He’s never signed a letter of intent tho, and that’s everything.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,670

Post#88 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 pm

Taylor has been on the lookout for a new partner for years. The search has gone on so long and has had so many stops and starts that there were many that were beginning to doubt that he would ever sell the team at all. The list of people who have explored buying the team from Taylor over the years, and particularly over the past nine months, is a long one, including future Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith, former Memphis Grizzlies minority owners Steve Kaplan a few years ago and Daniel Straus in August, Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and software billionaire Vinny Smith and ex-NBA player Arron Afflalo.

There were at least three times previously over the years when conversations advanced past the introductory phase and I had conversations with Taylor about the situation. Each of those times, Taylor spoke cautiously about the groups with which he was engaged. Whether the reasons were financial or otherwise, Taylor always seemed to be lukewarm in his characterizations of the talks, which led me to land each time in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” camp when it came to the prospects of a deal being completed.

Speaking to Taylor on Saturday night, there was none of that skepticism. He was a happy man and comfortable with the situation. It was an entirely different tone from him, filled with optimism and confidence that he found his guys. Whatever was said in those meetings put him at ease and that would appear to render this 30-day process of negotiation as more of a formality than anything.

https://theathletic.com/2511958/2021/04/12/digesting-the-details-behind-the-arrival-of-a-rod-and-marc-lore-in-wolves-land/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#90 » by KGdaBom » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:36 pm

KG needs to get in on the purchase.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 pm

Read on Twitter

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 843

Post#92 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:51 pm

New NBA Expansion

2 conferences, 4 divisions per, 32 NBA Teams:

Western Conference:

Northwest: UTH, POR, DEN,
Seattle

Pacific: LAL, LAC, SAC, GS

South: NO, DAL, OKC, MEM

SouthWest: PHX, SAS, HOU,
Las Vegas

Eastern Conference:

Central: MIL, CHI, DET,
Minnesota

Atlantic: IND, CLE, TOR, WSH

South: ATL, ORL, MIA, CHA

NorthEast: NYK, BRK, PHI, BOS
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#93 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:25 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:New NBA Expansion

Western Conference:

Seattle

Las Vegas

Eastern Conference:

Minnesota

This is just you guessing right. Nothing official.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,256

Post#94 » by Domejandro » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 am

Read on Twitter

(From January)
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#95 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:20 am

KGdaBom wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:New NBA Expansion

Western Conference:

Seattle

Las Vegas

Eastern Conference:

Minnesota

This is just you guessing right. Nothing official.

Yes this is just me guessing if all the writers are correct and that the NBA is expanding with Seattle and Vegas being the two NBA cities to add.

Two expansion teams with a 2 billion fee each makes 4 billion divided by the original 30 owners comes to around $165 million for each.

Seattle’s new arena will be complete next year and they already have a WNBA team in the Storm. Vegas’s arena is already done with the T-Mobile Arena and have the WNBA team the Aces as well.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,525

Post#96 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:This is just you guessing right. Nothing official.

Yes this is just me guessing if all the writers are correct and that the NBA is expanding with Seattle and Vegas being the two NBA cities to add.

Two expansion teams with a 2 billion fee each makes 4 billion divided by the original 30 owners comes to around $165 million for each.

Seattle’s new arena will be complete next year and they already have a WNBA team in the Storm. Vegas’s arena is already done with the T-Mobile Arena and have the WNBA team the Aces as well.

It's actually set to open later this year (Late Summer/Early Fall).
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#97 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:This is just you guessing right. Nothing official.

It's actually set to open later this year (Late Summer/Early Fall).

The Kraken (NHL expansion team) begin play in the Fall.

Thanks.

Have an expansion draft where teams can only protect their top 8 players. The expansion teams also get the first two picks in the NBA draft.

Funny is, I ran a simulation in NBA2k21 to see what players were get drafted by Seattle and Vegas in an expansion draft. This was the result.

Seattle Super Sonics

PG
Party Mills
Kendrick Nunn
Jordan Mclaughin

SG
Kevin Huerter
Grayson Allen
Dylan Windler

SF
Otto Porter
Kyle Kuzma
Torrey Craig
Jake Layman

PF
Eric Pascal
Jabari Parker
Harry Giles

C
Nerlens Noel
Moritz Wagner

Las Vegas Outlaws

PG
Reggie Jackson
Shabazz Napier

SG
Shake Milton
Austin Rivers
Brynn Forbes

SF
Tim Hardaway
Josh Hart
Josh Hackson
Kenrich Williams

PF
Daniel Theiss
Jaymichael Green
Juancho Hernangomez

C
Cody Zeller
Khem Birch
Alex Len

Now imagine both teams getting Cade Cunningham, Jalen Suggs or Evan Mobley as well. The NBA has plenty of talent to support two more NBA teams.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#98 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am

But they're still gonna move the team

breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#99 » by breatnach » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:09 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Now imagine both teams getting Cade Cunningham, Jalen Suggs or Evan Mobley

How would this actually work in regards to pick protections? Would the two expansion teams automatically be #1 and #2 bumping everyone down two spots?
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 2,019

Post#100 » by Sugarless » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:48 am

breatnach wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Now imagine both teams getting Cade Cunningham, Jalen Suggs or Evan Mobley

How would this actually work in regards to pick protections? Would the two expansion teams automatically be #1 and #2 bumping everyone down two spots?

Not really, what Unfadeable imagined is not how it works, unless the other 30 teams in the league decide they want to surrender their chances at the 1st and 2nd pick in the draft, which they have no reason to do. The last time around (2004) the Bobcats were assigned the 4th pick. Previous to that the Grizzlies and Raptors got the 6th and 7th in '95. When the Wolves and Magic got into the league in '89, they picked 10th and 11th, right after everyone in the lottery (it was only 9 teams back then). In the next draft with expansion teams you have to think they either go again with the 4th (and 5th) pick, or they finally include both teams in the lottery, which would make sense as it'd give the two new franchises a shot at #1, while keeping everyone else's options open as well.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves