ImageImageImage

The Official Rudy Gobert Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Grubie024
Junior
And1: 416

Re: The Official Rudy Gobert Thread 

Post#81 » by Grubie024 » Sat Jul 9, 2022 9:50 pm

We gave up the farm to get him, but Rudy just makes this team better on every level.
Ant and McDaniels are in the perfect situation to reach their full potential - KAT and Rudy dominating and D Lo can run the point effectively, assuming he's still here.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#82 » by BudTugly » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:02 am

minimus wrote:Another thing that I noticed watching UTA, is that our perimeter players should use their mid range / short jumpers / tear drops / floaters more. The reason is that Gobert not only rolls to the basket hard, he also locks his opponents (often C), or opponent does not want leave Gobert because of lob / putback threat.

OK. Apparently I can’t shut up. Just a quick bio, I’m a dude from Idaho that chose the Jazz over Seattle back in the mid-late 90s bc of how brutally they played, it was like watching hockey. John Stockton is legendary in these terms and Karl as well although less so to my mind bc he was so huge. As a person who watched those finals teams IMO Rudy has a possibility of joining those guys.

Rudy has weaknesses. He doesn’t have great hands and will never be a ball handler although maybe later on he could develop better passing. He will fumble the rock if you don’t give it to him in just the right way. This is one of the reasons Donovan wouldn’t pass to him. It’s justified if you don’t have the playmaking ability in terms of loading up the lob rather than just scoring yourself while my dude walls off defenders. In terms of Gobert scoring don’t ever imagine he is going to generate by handling the ball.

What he is going to do for your offense is set a goddam unholy amounts of enormously effective screens all over the floor if you want cutters free if you want an open 3 pt if you want a back screen you get the message. He doesn’t need to be around the rim to contribute. Although using the pressure he puts on it was the main driver of the Utah offense under Snyder.

A real coach will have defensive and offensive systems that maximize this player and create force multipliers with what he does so well. For instance setting back screens while KAT is posting up.

There is so much that wasn’t done with my guy. I hope the T-Ws do him right

lol cheers and hope for the best. As one aside I hear ppl comparing KG. These guys are night and day except for one thing, their dedication and work ethic. I always heard about KG being a hard worker particularly later on
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,030

Post#83 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:44 pm

BudTugly wrote:
minimus wrote:Another thing that I noticed watching UTA, is that our perimeter players should use their mid range / short jumpers / tear drops / floaters more. The reason is that Gobert not only rolls to the basket hard, he also locks his opponents (often C), or opponent does not want leave Gobert because of lob / putback threat.

OK. Apparently I can’t shut up. Just a quick bio, I’m a dude from Idaho that chose the Jazz over Seattle back in the mid-late 90s bc of how brutally they played, it was like watching hockey. John Stockton is legendary in these terms and Karl as well although less so to my mind bc he was so huge. As a person who watched those finals teams IMO Rudy has a possibility of joining those guys.

Rudy has weaknesses. He doesn’t have great hands and will never be a ball handler although maybe later on he could develop better passing. He will fumble the rock if you don’t give it to him in just the right way. This is one of the reasons Donovan wouldn’t pass to him. It’s justified if you don’t have the playmaking ability in terms of loading up the lob rather than just scoring yourself while my dude walls off defenders. In terms of Gobert scoring don’t ever imagine he is going to generate by handling the ball.

What he is going to do for your offense is set a goddam unholy amounts of enormously effective screens all over the floor if you want cutters free if you want an open 3 pt if you want a back screen you get the message. He doesn’t need to be around the rim to contribute. Although using the pressure he puts on it was the main driver of the Utah offense under Snyder.

A real coach will have defensive and offensive systems that maximize this player and create force multipliers with what he does so well. For instance setting back screens while KAT is posting up.

lol cheers and hope for the best. As one aside I hear ppl comparing KG. These guys are night and day except for one thing, their dedication and work ethic. I always heard about KG being a hard worker particularly later on

I always thought that he did have great hands he sure doesn't have bad hands
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,547

Post#84 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:46 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
BudTugly wrote:

He's not Vanderbilt, but hands have never been a strength of Gobert. He's gotten considerably better in recent years, but he's not a natural catcher.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#85 » by eminence » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:29 pm

I'll be spending a lot of this season on y'alls forums (I'm a plains native, so have always had a soft spot for the Wolves), go out and win one for all of us.
I bought a boat.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#86 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:36 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
BudTugly wrote:

He's not Vanderbilt, but hands have never been a strength of Gobert. He's gotten considerably better in recent years, but he's not a natural catcher.

The Timberwolves completed 5 lob dunks last year (3 of which were in transition,) Rudy completed 87. I think his hands are good enough.

Also worth noting he lead the league in rebounding and true shooting percentage. He is also the best screen setter for PNR. Even if his hands are sub par, I think we can find a use for him.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,547

Post#87 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:51 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote: I always thought that he did have great hands he sure doesn't have bad hands

The Timberwolves completed 5 lob dunks last year (3 of which were in transition,) Rudy completed 87. I think his hands are good enough.

Also worth noting he lead the league in rebounding and true shooting percentage. He is also the best screen setter for PNR. Even if his hands are sub par, I think we can find a use for him.

100% agree. And like I said, he's gotten much better. I was just pointing out that he's never been known for having "great hands".

But its also OK to look at a great player realistically. He'll still fumble away the occasional entry pass (which is a big reason that Mitchell overreacted and stopped passing him the ball in the Playoffs).
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,831

Post#88 » by stitches » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:34 pm

Rudy is good catching anything high, but has trouble catching low passes. If you throw it in the general area of the basket and he's there, he will very likely finish it. If you pass it below his waist, he might fumble it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#89 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:06 pm

stitches wrote:Rudy is good catching anything high, but has trouble catching low passes. If you throw it in the general area of the basket and he's there, he will very likely finish it. If you pass it below his waist, he might fumble it.

That makes sense.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,842

Post#90 » by Calinks » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:13 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote: I always thought that he did have great hands he sure doesn't have bad hands

5? That is so pathetic. Sheesh, we saw other teams do like two a game against us. We did 5 all season? Damn.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,242

Post#91 » by Neeva » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:27 pm

I want nothing more than for Rudy to have an MVP like season with the wolves and finally get the recognition he deserves.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#92 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:52 pm

I enjoyed being at the SL, but what I need to see is Rudy on the court playing for my Wolves. It's going to be agony waiting for that day to finally arrive.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,351

Post#93 » by Mattya » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:06 pm

Calinks wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

5? That is so pathetic. Sheesh, we saw other teams do like two a game against us. We did 5 all season? Damn.

I’m sure it’s more than that, but still far less than Gobert by himself.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#94 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:09 pm

Mattya wrote:
Calinks wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I've heard that number 5 thrown out as a fact from a lot of people.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,473

Post#95 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:47 pm

winforlose wrote:Our biggest weakness last year was not having enough defensive diversity. We ran high wall because that was the scheme that did the best at covering up our weaknesses. But we lacked the personnel to optimize it. Finch was smart enough to find something that works and stick with it, but also was trapped by the fact that experiments to go beyond it tended to fail. Rudy gives Finch the flexibility to coach the way he wants to coach. With Rudy, Finch can play more zone, more drop, optimize the high wall, ect… Gobert really is a generational defensive talent. In a league where so much attention is paid to the guys who drop 30 or 40 not enough attention is paid to the guys who save 30 or 40 with their defense and their defensive presence. I mean seriously, how many guys enjoy attacking Rudy. How many teams settle for jump shots rather than get near the paint with Rudy down low. I honestly believe Rudy is a walking top 10 defense and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us as a top 5 this year. Finch is a brilliant coach and has a ton of experience coaching multiple star bigs. He is kind of the big man whisperer if the stories are true. This team is gonna be scary good in no small part because Rudy is scary good.

I was thinking about this too. Finch is already one of the few NBA coaches who has been willing to run zone defenses. Now with the length we have in our starting lineup, I wonder if we could see that employed even more!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,473

Post#96 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Calinks wrote:5? That is so pathetic. Sheesh, we saw other teams do like two a game against us. We did 5 all season? Damn.

I've heard that number 5 thrown out as a fact a lot of people.

It's because that was the number Finchy said at the press conference. It's called overexaggeration. I'm not sure if he thought he was being factual or just embellishing to make a point of how infrequent it was.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#97 » by winforlose » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:Our biggest weakness last year was not having enough defensive diversity. We ran high wall because that was the scheme that did the best at covering up our weaknesses. But we lacked the personnel to optimize it. Finch was smart enough to find something that works and stick with it, but also was trapped by the fact that experiments to go beyond it tended to fail. Rudy gives Finch the flexibility to coach the way he wants to coach. With Rudy, Finch can play more zone, more drop, optimize the high wall, ect… Gobert really is a generational defensive talent. In a league where so much attention is paid to the guys who drop 30 or 40 not enough attention is paid to the guys who save 30 or 40 with their defense and their defensive presence. I mean seriously, how many guys enjoy attacking Rudy. How many teams settle for jump shots rather than get near the paint with Rudy down low. I honestly believe Rudy is a walking top 10 defense and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us as a top 5 this year. Finch is a brilliant coach and has a ton of experience coaching multiple star bigs. He is kind of the big man whisperer if the stories are true. This team is gonna be scary good in no small part because Rudy is scary good.

I was thinking about this too. Finch is already one of the few NBA coaches who has been willing to run zone defenses. Now with the length we have in our starting lineup, I wonder if we could see that employed even more!

Chris Finch is like a kid in a candy store. All the prior limits on his play book are gone. He can run zone, he can run the anti wolves defense (call it the clippers defense,) where Rudy guards the non shooter and cheats off to defend the paint, he can run high wall, he can run everything and anything. Pop is the coach known for making players fit the system, Finch is the coach known for making systems fit the players. I genuinely believe we have the right man at the right time to make this lineup as elite as possible.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#98 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:39 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I've heard that number 5 thrown out as a fact a lot of people.

It's because that was the number Finchy said at the press conference. It's called overexaggeration. I'm not sure if he thought he was being factual or just embellishing to make a point of how infrequent it was.

Read on Twitter

Thanks. 5 does sound kind of impossible now that I think about it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#99 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:41 pm

Waiting for Rudy to play his first game for us is tortgony. Torture and agony combined.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#100 » by winforlose » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Waiting for Rudy to play his first game for us is tortgony. Torture and agony combined.

It is like hearing your favorite book is getting a sequel, and then not being able to read it for 3 months. Then, when you do get to read it, you only get the first chapter (preseason,) and get one chapter a week (the regular season,) before finally getting the best part almost ten months later (playoffs.) Kinda counter intuitive, but I would prefer getting that final payoff in June rather than April, but that is just me ;) ;) ;)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves