The Newest Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,411

Re: The Newest Video Game Thread 

Post#2161 » by Calinks » Sun Jun 9, 2019 11:38 pm

Wow was really let down by the Xbox conference.

The messaging was really off. The first hour was great, had excitement, showed off some big games. Then that second hour....

The biggest issue is this year, they actually have lots of things to be proud of and show off. They own so many talented studios, gamepass is great.

They messaging was so bad.

Gears 5 was all flop. That head scratching trailer doesn't get people excited. The way they showed off that multiplayer mode was extremely underwhelming. It's probably fun but it was poorly done in the context of the show. If anything I think they de-escalated excitement for Gears.

Wasteland 3. The game is a deep, rich, cRPG world. It has cooperative play, it's like Divinity but with a Fallout setting, this a deep, good game, yet they made the trailer some wacky joke fest that doesn't even tell the viewer what the game is really about. Why? Does no justice to the game it is.

They really just missed the mark badly. Didn't show enough with the good games that they have coming form their own studios. Then they didn't even highlight enough of the good third party games either. Just a really bizarre showing.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#2162 » by shangrila » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:56 am

Calinks wrote:Wow was really let down by the Xbox conference.

The messaging was really off. The first hour was great, had excitement, showed off some big games. Then that second hour....

The biggest issue is this year, they actually have lots of things to be proud of and show off. They own so many talented studios, gamepass is great.

They messaging was so bad.

Gears 5 was all flop. That head scratching trailer doesn't get people excited. The way they showed off that multiplayer mode was extremely underwhelming. It's probably fun but it was poorly done in the context of the show. If anything I think they de-escalated excitement for Gears.

Wasteland 3. The game is a deep, rich, cRPG world. It has cooperative play, it's like Divinity but with a Fallout setting, this a deep, good game, yet they made the trailer some wacky joke fest that doesn't even tell the viewer what the game is really about. Why? Does no justice to the game it is.

They really just missed the mark badly. Didn't show enough with the good games that they have coming form their own studios. Then they didn't even highlight enough of the good third party games either. Just a really bizarre showing.

Yeah, I'm an Xbox fan and have been happy with what they've been doing however this conference, and even last year's, just kind of fall flat.

I think the issue is they heard the complaint of "not enough games" and swung the pendulum WAY too far in the opposite direction. Now they're cramming too many games in there and not giving them enough room to breathe. I also wonder what value they get out of all the 1-2min trailers for games that aren't coming out any time soon. Like, I love that there's a new Tales game and the fromsoft/GRRM game looks interesting but...what did I learn about them, aside from them existing? What does Microsoft get out of it aside from announcing that they are indeed coming to Xbox, which you could just as easily do as a press release?

They need to pull it back a little and hopefully, with all their new develops actually working on "console exclusives" rather than the projects they were working on prior to their acquisitions (inXile and Wasteland 3, Obsidian and Outer Worlds, Double Fine and Psychonauts 2, etc), they can do more gameplay demos/walkthroughs on stage in the years to come. Because I think that's really the only thing holding them back from soundly beating Sony and Playstation. They've got the backend stuff, like better online services and stuff like gamepass, just need those 1st party games to take them over the top.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#2163 » by packforfreedom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

I'm still waiting for a Star Wars game as good as KOTOR I and II. Don't think this is gonna be it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#2164 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I'm still waiting for a Star Wars game as good as KOTOR I and II. Don't think this is gonna be it.

KoTOR was possibly the best video game ever made. If you're not satisfied with less it's kind of like only being satisfied when the Wolves win the title. You're likely to be unhappy for a very long time.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#2165 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:41 pm

I never played Knights, is it really that good? I know Bioware made it and I am huge Mass Effect fanboy
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2166 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:28 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I never played Knights, is it really that good? I know Bioware made it and I am huge Mass Effect fanboy

I worked in the video game industry for 13 years and was the original writer for Game Informer magazine so I have a lot of knowledge in this area. However, you need to realize that I am very biased towards RPGs. I have KoTOR in a tie with FFVII for best game of all time because I love the stories both games have. They don't compete with modern graphics. So yes Knights is that good, but I'm biased.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#2167 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I never played Knights, is it really that good? I know Bioware made it and I am huge Mass Effect fanboy

I worked in the video game industry for 13 years and was the original writer for Game Informer magazine so I have a lot of knowledge in this area. However, you need to realize that I am very biased towards RPGs. I have KoTOR in a tie with FFVII for best game of all time because I love the stories both games have. They don't compete with modern graphics. So yes Knights is that good, but I'm biased.

I will try checking this out. I am just a casual star wars fan tho.

Right now playing Horizon Zero dawn, that game is great. Playing on Ultra hard difficulty makes FromSoftware look like carebares.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2168 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Right now playing Horizon Zero dawn, that game is great. Playing on Ultra hard difficulty makes FromSoftware look like carebares.

Just one tip. If you are a hetero male play this game as a male. I often like playing as a chick for better scenery, but IMO the story works out much better when you play as a male.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#2169 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:58 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I worked in the video game industry for 13 years and was the original writer for Game Informer magazine so I have a lot of knowledge in this area. However, you need to realize that I am very biased towards RPGs. I have KoTOR in a tie with FFVII for best game of all time because I love the stories both games have. They don't compete with modern graphics. So yes Knights is that good, but I'm biased.

Just one tip. If you are a hetero male play this game as a male. I often like playing as a chick for better scenery, but IMO the story works out much better when you play as a male.

Didnt even know there was an option. are there romance options, is that what you mean? Man it does sound like Bioware game. And man I need to find time to play ME trilogy again, I really wanted to romance Kaidan.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2170 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Didnt even know there was an option. are there romance options, is that what you mean? Man it does sound like Bioware game. And man I need to find time to play ME trilogy again, I really wanted to romance Kaidan.

Yes there are romance options and more to it than that. I hope that isn't a spoiler, but I can't say anything more. If I did I would be deserving of a terrible fate.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#2171 » by Mattya » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Outside of Sea of Thieves and cloud gaming there just isn't anything about Xbox the will bring me back next time. Sony exclusives just blow the competition out of the water and all my friends have moved over to Playstation as well.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,010

Post#2172 » by Domejandro » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Calinks wrote:I love the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games but this Todd Howard video is legendary!

Just wanted to use the last post to say that Crowbcat is a legend, excellent comparison videos (before and after launch, along with his Far Cry 2 one).

Everyone continue discussion here.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1849794

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves