ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#81 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 5, 2012 3:13 am

Yes We Kahn wrote:
C.lupus wrote:
Twolves_42 wrote:
Mark Remme ‏@MarkRemme
Spoke with D-Will about his offseason training. Lost 4 lbs since Summer League, working a lot on drawing contact driving to the lane.

That will be huge for him if he can master that. So many times, including Summer League, I wanted to bang my head into the wall watching him do the Euro stutter step with an extra flip in that missed most of the time. Just go in straight and strong and get the foul.

I thought I read somewhere that he put a little weight back on because he "felt weak" in summer league

His weight lingers in the high 230s, but more importantly, his body fat percentage has dropped from 12.5 percent to about 7.3 percent at last measure.
----------
Williams got his weight down as far as 231 pounds this summer, but he said that he felt weak at such a low number, so he added a bit more to his frame after summer league. It's tough to notice any added weight, though, which likely came in the form of pure muscle. He's a long way from the 248 pounds he weighed in at last year, and his mental progress might even have outpaced the physical.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/10/02/12/ ... eedID=3697
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#82 » by lobishome » Fri Oct 5, 2012 9:18 am

Williams was starter 15 games at last season.

I can't remember : Was he starter only when Love was injured? Or has he started some game at 3 position together Love?
Lucky Striker
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#83 » by Lucky Striker » Fri Oct 5, 2012 4:23 pm

Derrick is the uber talented x-factor that could have the biggest impact as a bench scorer and supreme athlete that the team needs. He may be another year away, but he could blow up if he has worked on his game over the off-season.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#84 » by thomas1897 » Sun Oct 7, 2012 2:24 pm

Derrick Williams does he fit into Minnesota's system or not that is the question to be answered. Does he play well along with Kevin Love? His size is a factor. Can anyone respond to these questions. If he does not fit into the system the management should seek the best opportunity to improve the team.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#85 » by eyeteeth » Mon Oct 8, 2012 12:48 am

Adelman playing with Williams/Kirelenko at at the forwards should terrify other teams.

There are so many lineups you can build..

There's the guard family:
Rubio/Ridnour/Barea/Shved/Roy/Budinger

Forwards:
Love/AK47/Williams/Cunningham/Amundson

Centers:
Pek/Steamer/Love/Amundson

This team is terrifyingly deep.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 8, 2012 1:33 am

eyeteeth wrote:Adelman playing with Williams/Kirelenko at at the forwards should terrify other teams.

There are so many lineups you can build..

There's the guard family:
Rubio/Ridnour/Barea/Shved/Roy/Budinger

Forwards:
Love/AK47/Williams/Cunningham/Amundson

Centers:
Pek/Steamer/Love/Amundson

This team is terrifyingly deep.

EXACTLY why I love this team!
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

JustAwesome
Analyst
And1: 78

Post#87 » by JustAwesome » Mon Oct 8, 2012 5:02 am

aaa wrote:I'm a Derrick Williams fan who is building up some resentment because of the way his short career has played out in MN so far. I just wanted to get a pulse on the fanbase's feelings toward Williams.

Is it time to move on? Do you want him traded? Or do you want him to stay?

I'm in the category that believes Williams can still be a star.

Most fans are more patient with the players than this, so it leads to me wonder if you feel that he's being stifled by the franchise.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#88 » by Kabookalu » Tue Oct 9, 2012 11:34 am

jfg wrote:This is why it's not always smart to draft best available and work the details out later. It would be one thing if they were playing somebody at PF who wasn't in their long term plans, but we knew that Williams would never have had a spot at PF as long as Love was here and that we'd be playing him out of position. I think he needs to be traded, but he's going to become a star as a full time PF somewhere else, I hope that we can get somebody good in return.

If you weren't going to draft BPA then who were you going to get then? The next 3 bigs selected after Williams were Thompson and Kanter, both PFs, and then Valanciunas, a center (and with the rise of Pekovic there would still be a controversy over minutes). I'd rather take my chances at molding Williams into a perimeter player, which he originally was in high school, than reaching for Jan Vesely (although the prospect of Vesely running the break with Rubio does sound a bit intriguing).
Read on Twitter
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#89 » by Esohny » Tue Oct 9, 2012 1:21 pm

Choker wrote:
jfg wrote:This is why it's not always smart to draft best available and work the details out later. It would be one thing if they were playing somebody at PF who wasn't in their long term plans, but we knew that Williams would never have had a spot at PF as long as Love was here and that we'd be playing him out of position. I think he needs to be traded, but he's going to become a star as a full time PF somewhere else, I hope that we can get somebody good in return.

If you weren't going to draft BPA then who were you going to get then? The next 3 bigs selected after Williams were Thompson and Kanter, both PFs, and then Valanciunas, a center (and with the rise of Pekovic there would still be a controversy over minutes). I'd rather take my chances at molding Williams into a perimeter player, which he originally was in high school, than reaching for Jan Vesely (although the prospect of Vesely running the break with Rubio does sound a bit intriguing).

The move was trading the pick. Although a number of people would (and did) argue that Valanciunas was the better pick if the Wolves insisted on staying at #2. I'm pretty sure that if you're going to have a "minutes controversy," it's better to have the best players possible to choose from.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
EddyCool
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#90 » by EddyCool » Tue Oct 9, 2012 1:56 pm

Esohny wrote:
Choker wrote:

The move was trading the pick. Although a number of people would (and did) argue that Valanciunas was the better pick if the Wolves insisted on staying at #2. I'm pretty sure that if you're going to have a "minutes controversy," it's better to have the best players possible to choose from.

It seems that the emergence of Pek strengthens the argument for drafting BPA. Fitting Derrick into a 3/4 rotation - now and in the future - seems a more realistic proposition and on-court benefit than trying to find minutes at the 5 alone for Pek and hopefully developing Valanciunas. Nobody was assuming that Pek was going to emerge like he did, and had we drafted to fill our C need, we'd have had less talent last year, Val over this year (after looking very raw in the Olympics) with his postion looking in good shape for the future.

The claim that the move was to trade the pick is completely baseless since there's no certain value to assume we'd have in return. Maybe you take back salary that prevents use from being able to sign AK, or maybe you move back and pick up another middle-quality asset and project and you're no better or worse off,. Of the players in last years draft, it looks like only Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard would have been bigger contributors for us last season, and nobody was calling for them over Derrick.
Nikola Pekovic wrote:I'd like to go back to the time they used swords. I think I'd be good with a sword.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#91 » by Dewey » Tue Oct 9, 2012 3:21 pm

Pek was a big man that had full intentions of come to the NBA - and open to MN unlike many other players in the past who wanted to come over but generally preferred the coastal/ethnically diverse communities. Purely an opinion ... 8-). Pek wanted opportunity and got it.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Esohny
RealGM

Post#92 » by Esohny » Tue Oct 9, 2012 4:23 pm

EddyCool wrote:It seems that the emergence of Pek strengthens the argument for drafting BPA. Fitting Derrick into a 3/4 rotation - now and in the future - seems a more realistic proposition and on-court benefit than trying to find minutes at the 5 alone for Pek and hopefully developing Valanciunas. Nobody was assuming that Pek was going to emerge like he did, and had we drafted to fill our C need, we'd have had less talent last year, Val over this year (after looking very raw in the Olympics) with his postion looking in good shape for the future.

The claim that the move was to trade the pick is completely baseless since there's no certain value to assume we'd have in return. Maybe you take back salary that prevents use from being able to sign AK, or maybe you move back and pick up another middle-quality asset and project and you're no better or worse off,. Of the players in last years draft, it looks like only Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard would have been bigger contributors for us last season, and nobody was calling for them over Derrick.

Whatever. The Wolves could have dropped future salary when moving Williams. Or they could have chosen not to waste money on Barea, if you have a worry about theoretical cap space. It seems pretty obvious that taking a player who was arguably better at the time and definitely fit better (and probably still fits better, since I'd argue that drafting Jonas and then just not signing Stiemsma would have been a much better outcome), or moving the pick for a vet, or future pick, or whatever, would be a better outcome than taking a player to either sit behind an all-NBA player or attempt to get minutes at a spot that isn't his best position.
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#93 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 9, 2012 5:03 pm

It seems pretty obvious that taking a player who was arguably better at the time

That was a minority opinion, most had Williams as the clear #2.
Esohny
RealGM

Post#94 » by Esohny » Tue Oct 9, 2012 5:35 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
It seems pretty obvious that taking a player who was arguably better at the time

That was a minority opinion, most had Williams as the clear #2.

Yes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 pm

I had a thought. I'm not sure its equal trade value, but its a thought.

I'd be interested to see if Kevin Martin is a deadline possibility. I know Williams for Martin isn't equal value, but what if we added in a swap of Barea and White?

Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#96 » by Wingman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Klomp wrote:I had a thought. I'm not sure its equal trade value, but its a thought.

I'd be interested to see if Kevin Martin is a deadline possibility. I know Williams for Martin isn't equal value, but what if we added in a swap of Barea and White?

I don't think Royce has much value right now, and I wouldn't want him around the team. I am a fan of Martin, but would rather roll the dice with Derrick.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#97 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Klomp wrote:I had a thought. I'm not sure its equal trade value, but its a thought.

definite no from me, i'm happy with the way the team is constructed. we have a good situation to be patient with dw. i'm hoping for williams to develop into the forward version of harden, or at least that role - play both front court spots as harden does both guard spots and bring instant offense off the bench behind a more defensive minded player(ak - sefo).
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#98 » by AQuintus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Williams for a guy who would be a free agent in a few months is terrible, and Barea for White actually makes it worse (and I don't even like Barea.)
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#99 » by Krapinsky » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 pm

AQuintus wrote:

Williams for a guy who would be a free agent in a few months is terrible, and Barea for White actually makes it worse (and I don't even like Barea.)

I don't like the trade either, but I fail to see how Barea for White being added makes it worse.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#100 » by AQuintus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:11 am

Krapinsky wrote:
I don't like the trade either, but I fail to see how Barea for White being added makes it worse.

Because White's off court issues are going to be a major distraction for whichever team he's on over the course of his career. Barea's not very good, but at least you can count on him to play and contribute when healthy.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves