ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#141 » by Piecake » Tue Nov 6, 2012 5:51 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Williams needs to play off Rubio or Shved. He doesn't fair too well playing with Barea or Ridnour where he's asked to create his own shot. Right now he's shooting horrible %'s (29% from the field) through 3 games, yet he still has a 15.2 PER, so I think there's some room for optimism still. On the downside, having lost weigh his tweeneritis seems even worse this year, as he's not able to finish through length or contact at the rim.

I honestly cant remember him being able to finish last year. He did the same kind of weak doopsy doo, euro step flip shot crap last year that he is doing this year. He either needs try to dunk it right in their face or either do a jump stop then fade away (like his second or so shot in the 3rd game) or post move. The crap he is doing now simply wont work
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#142 » by Krapinsky » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:02 pm

Correction: BR says he has a 9 PER, not 15 (ESPN), and that seems more likely the case.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#143 » by Piecake » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:12 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Correction: BR says he has a 9 PER, not 15 (ESPN), and that seems more likely the case.

That's Wesley Johonson territory right there. Thankfully he hasnt hit the lows of Johnny Flynn yet
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#144 » by C.lupus » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:15 pm

I'd like to hold off until the deadline then package Williams and Ridnour for cap space and some sort of future asset (draft pick, euro stash, ?). I think we could probably get a bit more by packaging them and waiting till February gives the team insurance while Rubio gets back to 100% and in case someone like AK47 gets injured (he does have a history).
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#145 » by Mattya » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:05 pm

Williams and Ridnour for Shawn Marion and Dallas 1st. We could start Marion and AK47 together until Love gets back. Then bring him off the bench behind AK47. Make the shooting guard rotation Roy, Bud, and Shved. It gives us three very good defensive players once Rubio is healthy. Rubio, Shved, Marion, AK47, and Love could be a very very good small ball lineup. If Roy and AK47 stay for their second year we could have a lot of expirings as well.

Rubio/Barea/Shved
Roy/Budinger/Shved
AK47/Marion/Budinger
Love/Cunningham/Marion
Pekovic/Stiemsma/Amundson
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#146 » by Mattya » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:08 pm

That is if, Marion isn't out for long.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#147 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 6, 2012 8:43 pm

Mattya wrote:Williams and Ridnour for Shawn Marion and Dallas 1st. We could start Marion and AK47 together until Love gets back. Then bring him off the bench behind AK47. Make the shooting guard rotation Roy, Bud, and Shved. It gives us three very good defensive players once Rubio is healthy. Rubio, Shved, Marion, AK47, and Love could be a very very good small ball lineup. If Roy and AK47 stay for their second year we could have a lot of expirings as well.

Rubio/Barea/Shved
Roy/Budinger/Shved
AK47/Marion/Budinger
Love/Cunningham/Marion
Pekovic/Stiemsma/Amundson

Rather than getting back the 1st, I would go after Beaubois. Marion is more of a negative contract than Ridnour, so we need more incentive other than a mid-to-late 1st.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MNister89
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#148 » by MNister89 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 9:32 pm

Only if we can get something that helps us now would I deal Williams. As in a SG who can shoot or a perimeter defender. Williams has no value around the league and while the case of Wes is still fresh in all of our minds, it still is likely DWill figures it out before too long.

Anyone thinking he is a complete bust that had a miraculous year at Arizona to get drafted No. 2 needs to go look at his game log from his final year in college. Dude brought it every night and the consistency shows that his current problem is a lack of confidence and having no niche on the Wolves. Yes it helped playing against smaller/slower/dumber defenders in college, but Williams had one of the finest seasons in recent memory. Do not pull the plug on Williams. Not yet at least.

Link for college stats: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... k-williams
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#149 » by guille_4 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 10:43 pm

Derrick Williams (To play at the 3 spot) +Greg Stiesma (Back-up big) for one of Utah's bigs? Favors or Kanter? If Favors, maybe bring back a bad contract or add a sweetener. I'd like to see Kanter playing 18 minutes per game at the C and maybe a few minutes at the 4. What do you think?
Train
Senior
And1: 9

Post#150 » by Train » Tue Nov 6, 2012 11:41 pm

guille_4 wrote:Derrick Williams (To play at the 3 spot) +Greg Stiesma (Back-up big) for one of Utah's bigs? Favors or Kanter? If Favors, maybe bring back a bad contract or add a sweetener. I'd like to see Kanter playing 18 minutes per game at the C and maybe a few minutes at the 4. What do you think?

I would trade him...even for a bag of chips.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#151 » by Grits n Gravy » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:22 am

my thoughts on drafting williams prior to draft

Grits n Gravy wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:We owe it to the sport of basketball to take Derrick Williams and historical scoring efficiency and pair it with Ricky Rubio.

eww to williams on this team

he's still the same player as last year who can't finish anything on drives, alters his shots severely inside in fear of getting blocked and it seems like his hands are much worse this year as he has been losing it on several drives going back to pre season. i'm gonna give him a handful more games but i'm close to jumping on the trade him train. i agree i'd like to see him playing off of rubes and love before drawing any conclusions. i'd love to get roddy b on this team.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#152 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:32 am

Why would you do that to me? Ban
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#153 » by Grits n Gravy » Wed Nov 7, 2012 12:44 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Why would you do that to me? Ban

:D
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#154 » by packforfreedom » Wed Nov 7, 2012 2:58 pm

Williams plays aweful. I can't stand it anymore. he always seems to choose the wrong play. Uncontested Jumpshot? Why not pretending I'm Kobe and going to the basket against four defenders? Possibility of backdoor cut? Nah, just chillin on the three point line. iso game against a mismatched defender? I think i'm taking a step back and going for the jumper, so i can make sure, the defender has a chance to put a hand in my face. Passing out of the post? Are you kidding me? No 2.Pick does that. Playing team defense? Why not try a highlight block?

at one point - i think in the sacramento game - Roy stopped passing the ball to williams, even when the lion was wide open.

I do not only think, he's bust, i think he will hurt the team like a beasley did over the last seasons in terms of flow and chemistry. I say, play him some minutes, so he can average 10 points on 16 Shots, 4 rebounds and a dunk and then trade him for something.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#155 » by Esohny » Wed Nov 7, 2012 3:00 pm

guille_4 wrote:Derrick Williams (To play at the 3 spot) +Greg Stiesma (Back-up big) for one of Utah's bigs? Favors or Kanter? If Favors, maybe bring back a bad contract or add a sweetener. I'd like to see Kanter playing 18 minutes per game at the C and maybe a few minutes at the 4. What do you think?

Why would Utah do that? They'd rather trade one of the high priced vets and keep Kanter and Favors.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Adenusi
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#156 » by Adenusi » Wed Nov 7, 2012 9:21 pm

D-Will. Son, I am dissapoint.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#157 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Nov 7, 2012 9:31 pm

what about trading him for terrence ross from toronto?
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#158 » by sisibilio » Wed Nov 7, 2012 10:48 pm

DWill for Scola and a heavily protected future first?

AK - Budman
Love - Scola
Pek - Steamer

Sounds nasty
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#159 » by Jukeness » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:12 pm

I hate Scola, he's honestly the worst defender I've ever watched.
Ern III
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#160 » by Ern III » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:32 am

None for ten. Peee-euuw this guy stinks.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves