ImageImageImage

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#281 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:55 am

Dewey wrote:3.) Adelman, Kahn, and Taylor are trust-worthy IMO, and I'm willing to let them try to move the peg without babbling over what pek and pau are worth.

LOL at Kahn and Taylor being trust-worthy. Kahn is a clueless doofus. Taylor is a shady backstabbing gollum.

Adelman doesn't really care about the franchise's future, that's not his job, he's a hired gun.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#282 » by Cashin out » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:05 am

Does the Minny insider know who the 3rd team is?

I figured LA wouldn't want Peke because they have Dwight,I think the third team could be Atlanta for Jsmoove,they need a center to put Horford back at sf,and could use Dwill to replace Smoove.Lakers always wanted Josh Smith to pair with Dwight for the future.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#283 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:05 am

Tirion wrote:
Dewey wrote:3.) Adelman, Kahn, and Taylor are trust-worthy IMO, and I'm willing to let them try to move the peg without babbling over what pek and pau are worth.

LOL at Kahn and Taylor being trust-worthy. Kahn is a clueless doofus. Taylor is a shady backstabbing gollum.

Adelman doesn't really care about the franchise's future, that's not his job, he's a hired gun.

Have to agree here.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#284 » by Mattya » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:06 am

My inside source tells me the Lakers are adding Steve Nash in the deal in return for us adding Malcolm Lee.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#285 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:13 am

Cashin out wrote:Does the Minny insider know who the 3rd team is?

I figured LA wouldn't want Peke because they have Dwight,I think the third team could be Atlanta for Jsmoove,they need a center to put Horford back at sf,and could use Dwill to replace Smoove.Lakers always wanted Josh Smith to pair with Dwight for the future.

No he doesn't.

And I completely agree about ATL.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
bluethunder0005
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#286 » by bluethunder0005 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:15 am

The only upside to this deal would be what Krap was saying in that it would allow us an additional max player when Pau's deal expires.

I really don't think Pau is any better than Pek right now and I don't really buy the different offensive schemes will help. Pau should flourish in MDA's system and he is still playing poorly. Pek is better on D, a more efficient scorer, younger, and will cost less. If you want to roll the dice and try to acquire a max player down the road then that's fine, but other than that this trade doesn't boost us up any in the standings one bit.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#287 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:34 am

how credible is wolfson?

JR : Next Gen
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#288 » by Cashin out » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:59 am

GhostX wrote:how credible is wolfson?

:lol: GhostX from Lakers Underground.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#289 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:16 am

GhostX wrote:how credible is wolfson?

He is not a total hack. He has a decent amount of credibility in my book.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,710

Post#290 » by shrink » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:25 am

Krapinsky wrote:
shrink wrote:If you truly believe that, I challenge you to post your contention on the trade board with the title: "Gasol is well worth his contract." Make any case you want in the body.

I don't think you'll be able to "pick and choose" even 10% of neutral posters that agree with you.

Will you bet your trade board credibility by making that post?

Accepted.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1218330

Zero-for-everybody so far, I see?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#291 » by shrink » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:41 am

So I was considering that if the timing of these rumors means anything, MIN is pretty safe right now.

MIN can't really put together a package right now that makes much sense, because it would probably have to contain Brandon Roy to off-set some of Gasol's overpaid salary. Any trade that uses Roy (or Steimsma or Cunningham) can't happen before December 15th.

Now it's certainly possible Kahn is talking early, and one of his better characteristics is that he often contacts other GM's early, and does his groundwork. If so, the rumors will probably get louder over the next nine days. But maybe something else is up?

However, I noticed TOR was mentioned in a deal for Bargnani and Calderon. That actually makes a little more sense, because Calderon is overpaid as well as a back-up in TOR, and those two pieces could be traded now. Moreover, if TOR deals Calderon, they really don't have an acceptable back-up (John Lucas?), and for the Lakers, if Nash needs to be fresh for the play-offs, Steve Blake and Chris Duhon aren't players you'd want to see get big minutes. Adding an $11 mil Calderon really stings in the lux tax too. On the other hand, MIN has two good back-up PGs on appropriate contracts, and a starting PG that can play decent minutes.

Here's a deal they could do today:

LAL GIVES: Gasol
LAL GETS: Bargnani + Barea

TOR GIVES: Bargnani + Calderon
TOR GETS: Gasol + Ridnour

MIN GIVES: Barea + Ridnour
MIN GETS: Calderon
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#292 » by Dewey » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:47 am

Turnover_21 wrote:
Tirion wrote:

Have to agree here.

ok :roll:
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#293 » by [RCG] » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:05 am

http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_22137554/report-timberwolves-offer-lakers-pao-gasol-rejected?source=most_viewed

About time for Kahn to go. At least now we have some interesting pieces that should be appealing to lure a better GM.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#294 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:11 am

shrink wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
shrink wrote:If you truly believe that, I challenge you to post your contention on the trade board with the title: "Gasol is well worth his contract." Make any case you want in the body.

I don't think you'll be able to "pick and choose" even 10% of neutral posters that agree with you.

Will you bet your trade board credibility by making that post?

Accepted.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1218330

Zero-for-everybody so far, I see?

I don' know i think these guys give credence to my side of the argument:

Guy986 wrote:
1. I think he's overpaid. I would possibly be willing to pay him up to 16.....17 million a year provided he's healthy. Nene and Okafor is getting 13 a year. Mcgee is getting 11 coming off the bench. Boozer is getting 15. Amare is getting 19. David Lee is getting 14. Come on.... this is the NBA. Big men get paid.

I'm a big believer that you judge a veteran based on his body of work(provided he's still in his prime). The last time Gasol was the main option in the low post he put up 19/10/3 on 59%TS.....with a championship ring to boot. Pau Gasol is a winner, a leader(olympic), veteran multi-skilled 7 footer. There are like 3 of those left in the NBA and he is still 32.

2. Although i believe he is overpaid, there are still teams willing to overpay for his overpaid contract. Is he still overpaid? Gasol is still coveted around the league because the combination of size and skillset make him so rare. Can you have a positive trade value despite being overpaid?

HartfordWhalers wrote:2) Yes, he still has positive trade value.

For trade comparables, Al Jefferson brought back 2 firsts and a TPE while making 12m a year coming off injury and with big questions about one side of the ball. I would say less then that with age in mind, but 2 crappy 1sts and crappy players? a single mid 1st and a decent expirer? JJ was massively more so overpaid, and still brought all expirings and a conditional first, so I would bookend it with between the Al Jefferson and JJ trades, but pushing toward Al imo.

I tend to think that if teams will trade vale for him then he is not overpaid. Seems like people are having difficulty combining the two.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
shrink
RealGM

Post#295 » by shrink » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:15 am

Both said he wasn't worth his contract. They even used the word "overpaid"

You conveniently left that part out when you edited Hartford Whalers post for this thread. yikes.

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Considering the aforementioned...

1) is Pau overpaid? If so, by how much?
2) being that he's paid what he is, would you still trade a positive asset in a trade for him (late first etc.)?

This answer might not make either of you happy but...

1) Yes, right now he looks over paid, as in if he was a free agent I don't think he gets 38m/2 years

2) Yes, he still has positive trade value.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#296 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:25 am

shrink wrote:Both said he wasn't worth his contract. They even used the word "overpaid"

You conveniently left that part out when you edited Hartford Whalers post for this thread. yikes.

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Considering the aforementioned...

1) is Pau overpaid? If so, by how much?
2) being that he's paid what he is, would you still trade a positive asset in a trade for him (late first etc.)?

This answer might not make either of you happy but...

1) Yes, right now he looks over paid, as in if he was a free agent I don't think he gets 38m/2 years

2) Yes, he still has positive trade value.

Yikes? Um yeah I quoted the parts that I think supported my point. The link to the thread is there if people want to read the whole thread. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

I think it says something that in the same beat people can say he's "overpaid" but then say he has "positive trade value." IMO those are mutually exclusive positions. Maybe you can rationalize that for everyone? How can a player be overpaid and at the same time have positive trade value? Because your wolves forum thesis throughout the years has always treated them one in the same.

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#297 » by The J Rocka » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:40 am

We'll just overpay Pek anyways. I don't think he's worth the max (I bet he'll get that offered, if not from us, someone like Portland). He's not a player that will make us a 'serious contender' IMO and his durability has to be somewhat of a concern.

If we want to make a serious run in the playoffs, we need to go 'all in'. Clock is ticking for us. With the team we have now, 6-8th seed - first/second round exit for few years until Love has finally had enough and walks? At least Gasol will be off the books by 2014 when we can offer a max contract, maybe even two, to a vast variety of FAs and not be stuck being mediocre.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#298 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:43 am

Krapinsky wrote:How can a player be overpaid and at the same time have positive trade value?

It's called "positional scarcity" or "scarcity value". Like for example, majority of centers in the league are overpaid relative to their production on the court, but they still have positive value (Hibbert, Lopez, etc).
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#299 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:45 am

If I'm giving up on PEK and taking on Gasol's salary I want a starting caliber SG in the deal.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#300 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:48 am

Tirion wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:How can a player be overpaid and at the same time have positive trade value?

It's called "positional scarcity" or "scarcity value". Like for example, majority of centers in the league are overpaid relative to their production on the court, but they still have positive value (Hibbert, Lopez, etc).

I don't follow this logic. If there's a positive trade market for an asset, then the asset is undervalued. That's how valuation works. At some point a player become overpaid and then his trade value becomes nil.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves