ImageImageImage

Free Agency - Swingmen Edition

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,650

Re: Free Agency - Swingmen Edition 

Post#61 » by shrink » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:43 am

Calinks wrote:I dont think the timberwolves want to compete with other teams when it comes to signing Reddick in rthe off-season

They would be, regardless of whether they traded for him or not.

Personally, I think he's worth the $5.15 MLE next year. I suspect he wouldn't get a bigger offer from a team with cap space, and I don't see ORL keeping him. Would he choose this team over a few other MLE offers? I think with Adelman and Rubio here, he might! When was the last time we could say that?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#62 » by Calinks » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:32 am

I think the hope is, we get him, show him how great he fits here, etc, and we have a decided advantage in resigning him over other teams. As opposed to just going after him without that prior relationship and hoping he comes to Minnesota over other teams minus an overpay.

With that said, I am actually leaning more towards your camp of not taking the risk. I just think this could be what some in the front office are thinking. Minnesota has never been a top free agent destination and they probably want to stack the deck in our favor as much as possible.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#63 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:44 am

I think C. Lee should be the guy to go after. Probably one of the easier guys to get right now. That would give us a wing player and still allow us to look for a trade for Williams, or just keep him and develop him.

Ridnour for Lee

Rubio/Barea
Lee/Shved
AK47/Lee (Budinger)
Love/Cunningham/Williams
Pek/Steimsma
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#64 » by AQuintus » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:48 am

shrink wrote:Huge huge fear here.

Redick is an expiring. If you love him, try to sign him next year.

Except that doesn't help us now, and we need help now. And it might not be an option to sign him in the offseason anyway. Glen Taylor signing off on picking Redick up when we've freed the money for him by trading away Williams isn't the same as Taylor signing off on Redick with Williams still on the books (and not playing).

Meantime, if you want to trade Williams, do it for something that can help the Wolves more thoroughly.

Like what? Unfortunately, Williams doesn't seem to have the trade value to get someone who can help more than Redick anymore. So, as long as Redick helps us more than Williams would (which seems likely since Williams can't get off the bench), then it's a good trade in my books.

The only other big name guys that might be available for Williams are Pau and Varejao, and while they're probably better players, they'll both cost much more than just Williams (even if just moneywise), and I don't think that they help as much since a 3 point shooting wing is a huge need and a backup big isn't.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#65 » by andyhop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:49 am

Lee has been absolutely terrible this year
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Mattya
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:56 am

andyhop wrote:Lee has been absolutely terrible this year

and thats why he would be pretty cheap to get, and you hope he plays better for us. I would rather take the low risk move, instead of spending pretty much our last real trade assets for a guy who could possibly leave at the end of this year. Especially considering we would have to pay Pek, Chase, and Reddick which I think would be even more unlikelly.
andyhop
Analyst

Post#67 » by andyhop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 am

Lee has been absolutely terrible this year ,if you trade Ridnour for him you are downgrading not upgrading.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Mattya
RealGM

Post#68 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:04 am

andyhop wrote:Lee has been absolutely terrible this year ,if you trade Ridnour for him you are downgrading not upgrading.

We are paying almost 10 million dollars on back up point guards. We desperately need bodies on the wing. Even if he hasn't played well I would take Lee 10/10 guarding perimeter players than Luke.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#69 » by Esohny » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:05 am

shrink wrote:Huge huge fear here.

Redick is an expiring. If you love him, try to sign him next year.

Meantime, if you want to trade Williams, do it for something that can help the Wolves more thoroughly.

Expiring back-up players do not warrant lottery picks no matter how they are performing - even for teams on the edge of championships.

We have enough of a history of Williams being highly disappointing, so the fact that he was a failed lottery pick means very little in a positive way for his trade value.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
andyhop
Analyst

Post#70 » by andyhop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:18 am

Mattya wrote:
andyhop wrote:Lee has been absolutely terrible this year ,if you trade Ridnour for him you are downgrading not upgrading.

We are paying almost 10 million dollars on back up point guards. We desperately need bodies on the wing. Even if he hasn't played well I would take Lee 10/10 guarding perimeter players than Luke.

I'd rather Shved or Dwill guard them as they have done the job vastly better than them and then not take on a guy for $18m over 4 years to produce at a level you could get a minimum salary guy to do
Mattya
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 am

andyhop wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I'd rather Shved guard them as he has done the job vastly better than them and then not take on a guy for $18m over 4 years to produce at a level you could get a minimum salary guy to do

So is Shved supposed to play D on these guys the entire time. Ithink your selling Lee short. I really don't think he is as bad as he played this year. It would be tough to find players that would play better than him for this team. Look at the guys being mentioned. Then you factor in he is a guy Adelman knows how to use. Much smaller risk, then trading your last assets for guys that could leave after one season.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:33 am

Williams can barely guard 3s let alone 2s.
andyhop
Analyst

Post#73 » by andyhop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 am

Mattya wrote:
So is Shved supposed to play D on these guys the entire time. Ithink your selling Lee short. I really don't think he is as bad as he played this year. It would be tough to find players that would play better than him for this team. Look at the guys being mentioned. Then you factor in he is a guy Adelman knows how to use. Much smaller risk, then trading your last assets for guys that could leave after one season.

Lee is a bad defender ,this year he has added bad offence to his game.At his best he is an average bench player and there is no reason to treade for one of those when he has 3.5yrs/$17m remaining.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#74 » by Nitroglycerin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 am

I want the gelamonster!
Trust the PRosas!
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#75 » by Dewey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I would like to do both Ridnour for Lee and DW for Reddick package.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Mattya
RealGM

Post#76 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:28 pm

andyhop wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Lee is a bad defender ,this year he has added bad offence to his game.At his best he is an average bench player and there is no reason to treade for one of those when he has 3.5yrs/$17m remaining.

He hasn't been a good defender so far this year. He was a good defender his entire time in Houston. There is a reason to get even average bench players. If Lee is a bad defender, what would you consider Luke. Shved can't guard the 2s all game and hasn't been a great defender fighting through screens. Williams is nowhere near, not even close to being able to guard 2s. Lee has a history of being a much better player, especially under Adelman. If we judged players on only what they did for a quarter of a season there would be a lot of guys you could consider bad players.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#77 » by theGreatRC » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Last year, under Adelman... Lee averaged:

11.4 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.7 steals in 30 minutes per game.

Not impressive numbers, but he is a good two way guard that won't have a dropoff when Alexey checks out of the game.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#78 » by C.lupus » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Last year Adelman was in Minnesota. :wink:
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#79 » by theGreatRC » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:36 pm

C.lupus wrote:Last year Adelman was in Minnesota. :wink:

Haha! DUH, I don't even know what I was thinking..

Funny because I posted that without saying "Under Adelman" and then edited it in a minute later.. :P
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#80 » by C.lupus » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:45 pm

It happens to the best of us. :)

For those interested, Lee's numbers in Houston under Adelman:

8.3/2.6/1.2/0.7, 0.439 fg%, 0.408 3p% in 21.3 mpg off the bench.

Not earth shattering but I'd take that right now for 20 mpg.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves