ImageImageImage

The Rant, Vent, Cry, Whine, Let-It-Out Thread II

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

VUK1
Sophomore
And1: 29

Re: The Rant, Vent, Cry, Whine, Let-It-Out Thread II 

Post#121 » by VUK1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 am

So - now that the playoffs are 99.99% out of the equation, what do the Wolves do?
For the remainder of the season is there any merit in trying to keep winning?
Will Flip trade Love? Whats the direction? try to stay competitive or complete rebiuld with Pek/Martin gone?

Im not from Minnesota (or USA) and cant physically go to games but I would imagine the local fan base, owner(s) and supporters would not be willing to go through another rebuild and it would be risky given falling attendences, threat of relocation etc.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#122 » by Jukeness » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 am

Keep trying for the rest of the season. Small chance any teams below us pass us up.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,954

Post#123 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:45 am

VUK1 wrote:So - now that the playoffs are 99.99% out of the equation, what do the Wolves do?
Will Flip trade Love? Whats the direction? try to stay competitive or complete rebiuld with Pek/Martin gone?

Im not from Minnesota (or USA) and cant physically go to games but I would imagine the local fan base, owner(s) and supporters would not be willing to go through another rebuild and it would be risky given falling attendences, threat of relocation etc.

There is no threat of relocation, we just extended the lease of the Target Center, and a brand new practice facility is being built
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#124 » by jade_hippo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:00 am

VUK1 wrote:So - now that the playoffs are 99.99% out of the equation, what do the Wolves do?

You sound a lot like CherryGrape, are you him in disguise?
VUK1
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#125 » by VUK1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 am

jade_hippo wrote:

You sound a lot like CherryGrape, are you him in disguise?

haha no just curious as to the local population mood, obviously the fans on this forum would be willing to tank and try again, but the commercial reality may mean that a retool is what happens.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#126 » by eyeteeth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:43 am

From the comment thread over at A Wolf Among Wolves' recap of the loss to the Raptors:

Bob Collins March 10, 2014 at 2:42 pm
The complete inability of this team to be ANY better from after the first 10 days of the season is so unbelievably troubling to me. Whatever their weaknesses were after the first week, are their weaknesses now. Presuming we don’t have the #1 pick, and knowing that we don’t have a great deal of tradeable assets right now, forget about not making the playoffs THIS year, what about NEXT year?

Distressing.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#127 » by Tirion » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:47 am

10 years, bay-bee!!!
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#128 » by southern wolf » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:09 am

eyeteeth wrote:From the comment thread over at A Wolf Among Wolves' recap of the loss to the Raptors:

The complete inability of this team to be ANY better from after the first 10 days of the season is so unbelievably troubling to me. Whatever their weaknesses were after the first week, are their weaknesses now. Presuming we don’t have the #1 pick, and knowing that we don’t have a great deal of tradeable assets right now, forget about not making the playoffs THIS year, what about NEXT year?

Distressing.

I think our inability to improve as the season progresses has a lot to do with Adelman's stubbornness.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#129 » by mondry » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:09 pm

southern wolf wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:From the comment thread over at A Wolf Among Wolves' recap of the loss to the Raptors:

Distressing.

I think our inability to improve as the season progresses has a lot to do with Adelman's stubbornness.

Correct, he favors guys that are already near or at their maximum as players. Kevin Martin, Dante Cunningham, JJ Barea, and so on and so on are guys that are what they are at this point. You can't really expect any of them to improve or change by now. Guys that ride the bench like Bazz and Dieng, even Rubio late in games, are the guys you can expect to keep improving, that's where our potential to "get better" is.

Getting rid of Adelman and Barea is pretty much our only hope of getting better though, otherwise those two cancerous blobs will always anchor the team firmly down to .500 or so.
djeros612
Junior
And1: 83

Post#130 » by djeros612 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:36 am

Yet again our front office seizes to amaze me .

Now not by any means am I saying dwill is great , but we traded him straight up for luc?

Dwill drops 26... Okay Alota players have decent games every once in awhile but everybody knows luc will never do that for us and his *great defenses precesence* has yet to stun me, so we trade a young guy with potential for a team hopper ? Makes sense...

Just saying luc will never do that , and dwill seems to be finding himself little by little.

Just another timberwolves amazing trade .
GuyFawkes11
Senior
And1: 71

Post#131 » by GuyFawkes11 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am

WHY!?!? why must I be Minnesota sports fan, why couldn't I have a connection to a more successful sports town. I was born 1 month after the 1991 world series, since then I have only seen college hockey championships and wnba championships, 2 things the rest of the country could care less about. I am so sick of being disappointed year after year with our local sports teams, vikings miss the playoffs, gophers miss the tourney, twolves miss the playoffs, and so on, its the same thing year after year. its been 10 freaking years since the twolves have seen the playoffs in a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs every year, think about that for a second. The God damn suns are going to make the playoffs in a year they went into with the attentions of tanking for god sakes. With all this Minnesota nice stuff you'd think the sports gods would give us some positive karma in return, but nope, we just get snow storm after snow storm for our kindness. ugh...I just don't know what to think d anymore anymore.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#132 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:58 am

GuyFawkes11 wrote:WHY!?!? why must I be Minnesota sports fan, why couldn't I have a connection to a more successful sports town. I was born 1 month after the 1991 world series, since then I have only seen college hockey championships and wnba championships, 2 things the rest of the country could care less about. I am so sick of being disappointed year after year with our local sports teams, vikings miss the playoffs, gophers miss the tourney, twolves miss the playoffs, and so on, its the same thing year after year. its been 10 freaking years since the twolves have seen the playoffs in a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs every year, think about that for a second. The God damn suns are going to make the playoffs in a year they went into with the attentions of tanking for god sakes. With all this Minnesota nice stuff you'd think the sports gods would give us some positive karma in return, but nope, we just get snow storm after snow storm for our kindness. ugh...I just don't know what to think d anymore anymore.

Everybody knows that nice guys finish 10th.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#133 » by Feilong » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:28 am

When i feel angry with Adelman or Barea i go and look the POR or the PHX sections.
POR are in a sort of panic mode. After the red hot start in the beginning they are since then a sub .500 team. Which is terrible for a Western team.
PHX will 100% miss the playoffs, they overachieved but just not enough. PHX should have made trades in Feb having tons of picks and Okafor's expiring contract to try secure the playoff spot but they didn't. Now they will miss the playoffs, they won't get the MIN top 13 protected pick and their own pick will be mediocre because they didn't tank. Their fans are not happy.
Reading rants from other teams fans isn't the most noble thing but it makes me feel slightly better after our disappointing season.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#134 » by C.lupus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Feilong wrote:When i feel angry with Adelman or Barea i go and look the POR or the PHX sections.
POR are in a sort of panic mode. After the red hot start in the beginning they are since then a sub .500 team. Which is terrible for a Western team.
PHX will 100% miss the playoffs, they overachieved but just not enough. PHX should have made trades in Feb having tons of picks and Okafor's expiring contract to try secure the playoff spot but they didn't. Now they will miss the playoffs, they won't get the MIN top 13 protected pick and their own pick will be mediocre because they didn't tank. Their fans are not happy.
Reading rants from other teams fans isn't the most noble thing but it makes me feel slightly better after our disappointing season.

Since Jan 1:

Minnesota = 18-16
Portland = 18-17
Phoenix = 19-18

Law of averages taking effect. The only difference is the Wolves never had that one run where they went 10-3 or 12-4 for a month.
Feilong
Veteran

Post#135 » by Feilong » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:57 pm

C.lupus wrote:
Feilong wrote:When i feel angry with Adelman or Barea i go and look the POR or the PHX sections.

Since Jan 1:

Minnesota = 18-16
Portland = 18-17
Phoenix = 19-18

Law of averages taking effect. The only difference is the Wolves never had that one run where they went 10-3 or 12-4 for a month.

So true!!! Btw,
POR last 15 games against over .500 teams: 1-14 !!!!!! :lol: :o PRESS THE PANIC BUTTON!!!!!!
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#136 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:00 pm

I don't understand why the wolves are incapable of putting together respectable win streaks. I don't know where I can find specific win streak information but I think the last time we had one more than 4 games in a row was in 2009. I have no idea when we have won more than 5 games straight. I see playoff teams all the time rattling off 4, 5, 6 game streaks. The Bobcats just had a 4 game win streak. We are so inconsistent, we cant pull that off. We are lucky to get 2 games and 3 games is pretty much our limit.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#137 » by mondry » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Because Barea / the bench is guaranteed to kill us in every 2nd or 3rd game at best. Basically if we're playing someone decent, the second the starters have an off night we're probably going to lose. Thus, no long streaks can be obtained.
Feilong
Veteran

Post#138 » by Feilong » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Calinks wrote:I don't understand why the wolves are incapable of putting together respectable win streaks. I don't know where I can find specific win streak information but I think the last time we had one more than 4 games in a row was in 2009. I have no idea when we have won more than 5 games straight. I see playoff teams all the time rattling off 4, 5, 6 game streaks. The Bobcats just had a 4 game win streak. We are so inconsistent, we cant pull that off. We are lucky to get 2 games and 3 games is pretty much our limit.

Interesting question so i looked it up.
Season :Game Win Streak
2013-14 :3
2012-13 :4
2011-12 :3
2010-11 :2
2009-10 :4
2008-09 :5
2007-08 :2
2006-07 :4
2005-06 :5
2004-05 :5
2003-04 :9 (03/27/2004 - 04/14/2004)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#139 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Feilong wrote:
Calinks wrote:I don't understand why the wolves are incapable of putting together respectable win streaks. I don't know where I can find specific win streak information but I think the last time we had one more than 4 games in a row was in 2009. I have no idea when we have won more than 5 games straight. I see playoff teams all the time rattling off 4, 5, 6 game streaks. The Bobcats just had a 4 game win streak. We are so inconsistent, we cant pull that off. We are lucky to get 2 games and 3 games is pretty much our limit.

Interesting question so i looked it up.
Season :Game Win Streak
2013-14 :3
2012-13 :4
2011-12 :3
2010-11 :2
2009-10 :4
2008-09 :5
2007-08 :2
2006-07 :4
2005-06 :5
2004-05 :5
2003-04 :9 (03/27/2003 - 04/14/2004)

Good stuff. Where did you get that information btw?

Our streak history is pretty dismal. I think that's another barometer I will use when assessing our playoff chances in the future. If we cant pull of a couple 4, 5, 6+ game streaks in the season that can be an indicator that we arent playoff ready.
Feilong
Veteran

Post#140 » by Feilong » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Calinks wrote:Good stuff. Where did you get that information btw?

Our streak history is pretty dismal. I think that's another barometer I will use when assessing our playoff chances in the future. If we cant pull of a couple 4, 5, 6+ game streaks in the season that can be an indicator that we arent playoff ready.

http://www.basketball-reference.com

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves