ImageImageImage

MIN - NOP - HOU

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Re: MIN - NOP - HOU 

Post#21 » by Dewey » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:08 pm

LordBaldric wrote:I would have been for this or something like it at the beginning of the season, but now I think it's over for Love here barring a miracle. He's walking out that door and we need to trade him ASAP for maximum value. We have plenty of time to trade Pek since he's signed up for so long.

I'd trade Rubio for any decent return, but I suspect his value is going the way of D-Will at this point.

You people are waaaaaaaaay too possessed with what Love thinks that its laughable ... First, who cares at this point what the #$%$ Kevin Love thinks - get over it - it is what it is until we make some changes. Love is a damn good basketball that is likely very aware of the teams issues. I'm 100% confident we would welcome a change that brought in 1 or 2 starting caliber wings. The PG position right now is eye boggling as well, but not embarrassing like our wing positions. Lastly, is the unacceptable "lack of will" that we see consistently. The need to motivate players is a story all its own, but like it or not RA, you better find a way to light some fire under these guys or its gonna end in a bitter way like it or not.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#22 » by shrink » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Now many superstars has MIN had in it's entire history?

Two.

Superstars are the most valuable commodity in the NBA. They are very rare. Nearly every championship in the last thirty years has been own by a team with a superstar, and it's probably more likely to happen in the future as superstars clump on only a few teams. Is championships the goal of NBA teams?

Minnesota does not draw superstars in free agency. We could trade for them, but they could move as soon as their contract is up. Only a handful of rookies will become one. We got lucky with McHale's trade, and Love turned out better than anyone ever expected. Our best chance to have a superstar is to keep the one we already have.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#23 » by LordBaldric » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:10 pm

shrink wrote:Now many superstars has MIN had in it's entire history?

Two.

Superstars are the most valuable commodity in the NBA. They are very rare. Nearly every championship in the last thirty years has been own by a team with a superstar, and it's probably more likely to happen in the future as superstars clump on only a few teams. Is championships the goal of NBA teams?

Minnesota does not draw superstars in free agency. We could trade for them, but they could move as soon as their contract is up. Only a handful of rookies will become one. We got lucky with McHale's trade, and Love turned out better than anyone ever expected. Our best chance to have a superstar is to keep the one we already have.

That's true and all, but it's just not happening in this case. Love has been here 6 years and he's got 1 above average team mate to play with. One! We've burned through all our assets and have little flexibility to improve. If Ricky had actually upped his game by this his third year and had become the star we were expecting, instead of turning into a huge disappointment, then that's a different story. Expecting Love to extend here where the FO has completely dropped the ball in epic fashion all throughout his years here is crazy.

If you have a realistic plan for short term drastic improvement, then lay it out. Otherwise I'd rather do a reload like Utah did with young promising players and picks rather than get reamed like Cleveland.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#24 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm

shrink wrote:Now many superstars has MIN had in it's entire history?

Two.

2??? i hope your not saying love is a superstar????
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#25 » by PZiv » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:38 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:2??? i hope your not saying love is a superstar????

You can settle for Latrell if you really want so.
shrink
RealGM

MIN - NOP - HOU 

Post#26 » by shrink » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:08 pm

LordBaldric wrote:If you have a realistic plan for short term drastic improvement, then lay it out.

Look at the first post in the thread you posted in.

It's a lot better laid out than your nebulous plan of getting young players, hope that one of them becomes a superstar because we can't draw in free agent superstars, and hope to top out at first round playoff exits.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#27 » by Krapinsky » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 pm

I can't help but think... we're 18-20. We don't have a superstar and Love is quite overrated. He's a max player for sure, but he's a #2, not a #1. Garnett was >>>>>>>>>> than Love is now. If the goal is "championship" then it makes a hell of a lot of sense to move Love and rebuild so we can get a #1. If the goal is get a winning record, then by all means keep Love and tinker.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#28 » by LordBaldric » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:59 pm

shrink wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:If you have a realistic plan for short term drastic improvement, then lay it out.

It's a lot better laid out than your nebulous plan of getting young players, hope that one of them becomes a superstar because we can't draw in free agent superstars, and hope to top out at first round playoff exits.

Your Eric Gordon trade is ridiculous. If they are willing to give him for our pure garbage then they must know his knee is about to explode into a thousand pieces.

The Asik deal I liked at the beginning of the season when I thought Rubio was going to play at a much higher level than he is. Now I think it's too little too late.

Maybe my plan would be less nebulous to you if you thought about recent superstar trade packages such as Melo or Derron Williams. Or you could go look on the Bulls board where they are clamoring to give us young players and multiple first rounders for Love. It's the sort of package that any GM with common sense would know we would be looking for in a trade, so pardon me if I didn't feel the need to spell it out for you in big glowing letters.
shrink
RealGM

MIN - NOP - HOU 

Post#29 » by shrink » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
shrink wrote:

Your Eric Gordon trade is ridiculous. If they are willing to give him for our pure garbage then they must know his knee is about to explode into a thousand pieces.

The Asik deal I liked at the beginning of the season when I thought Rubio was going to play at a much higher level than he is. Now I think it's too little too late.

Maybe my plan would be less nebulous to you if you thought about recent superstar trade packages such as Melo or Derron Williams. Or you could go look on the Bulls board where they are clamoring to give us young players and multiple first rounders for Love. It's the sort of package that any GM with common sense would know we would be looking for in a trade, so pardon me if I didn't feel the need to spell it out for you in big glowing letters.

Ok - first. I tend to think that people that use Melo's return as an example of what Kevin Love can get don't understand the situation.. Melo had about 30 games left on his deal, while Love has about 120. Love can be used by a new team in two playoff runs. Melo also had a ton of leverage, and limited the teams he would re-sign with to NYK and BRK .. 29 teams would make bids for Love right now.

Second, while you never mentioned CHI before, I'd point out that getting youth and picks from anyone is not a no-brainier for the Wolves. First, the Wolves locked in $100 million dollars into four players this summer with deals of 3-5 years in length. This kills cap space, and puts a giant split in the team between veterans and undeveloped youth. You can't turn the boat financially on a dime. Next, you've damaged MIN's reputation. A star player may be interested in coming here with a supporting cast that includes Love - not to a city with young players and stars that bolt. Third, Taylor, Flip, Adelman and most importantly, the ticket-buying fans are tired of years in the lottery, and a nebulous trade for youth and picks is eliminating any chance for this year or the next. Has your "common sense" given any thought to how you sell tickets to fans who face two more years of uncompetitive basketball?

Finally, I don't think anyone here would agree with you calling Pekovic "pure garbage."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves