ImageImageImage

Wolves Game Attendance : (

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Wolves Game Attendance : ( 

Post#1 » by Krapinsky » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:09 pm

I picked this up from the Trade Thread Board and found it concerning.

HartfordWhalers wrote:When talking about next steps for Minnesota, might be worth pointing out:

26th in the league in home attendance average.
27th in the league in home attendance % of stadium.

an 8.5% drop from last season, or 1,400 a game.

Are there any justifications? I know you guys have had a rough winter up there.

This concerns me for a team that is right up against the lux and wants to keep its superstar.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Re: Wolves Game Attendance : ( 

Post#2 » by LaViggins » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Target Center is so nasty, roads suck to drive on. yesterday was a high of 0, low of -20 with wind chill up to -39. Right now its -9 with -20 wind chill. When its this **** out, all you want to do is sit inside and try to wait it out.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#3 » by MinneOOPalis » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Nobody wants to watch this soft ass team. If the team was better the attendance would be fine.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#4 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:45 pm

I think its a combination of the team's struggles, the winter, and the fact that Target Center is kind of a dump right now. The renovations will help (I hope).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Our road average is 7th, higher than the Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, Warriors and Knicks.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#6 » by Jukeness » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Twolves_42 wrote:Target Center is so nasty, roads suck to drive on. yesterday was a high of 0, low of -20 with wind chill up to -39. Right now its -9 with -20 wind chill. When its this **** out, all you want to do is sit inside and try to wait it out.

It was not that cold in the twin cities yesterday. The high was like 20, it didnt get that cold until way later at night.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

The interesting thing to point out is that the attendance percentage this year (77.2%) is actually lower than the 09-10 (78%) and 10-11 (78.8%) seasons when we won 15 and 17 games. The years since, attendance has jumped to 90.4% (14th) in 11-12 and was 84.4% (19th) last year.

I definitely think the weather has to be a factor in this.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#8 » by Calinks » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 pm

It's mostly that the team sucks. People already don't care about Pro basketball here so the fact that the team has been wallowing in mediocrity doesn't help anything. You can get 120,000 people to stand around the Saint Paul cathedral in 10 degree weather for 2 hours to see crashed ice where 90 percent of the people wont follow the sport outside of that one day but that's still an easier sell than a wolves game.

The wolves have to be really good to get fans to come out, especially during a bad winter. Remember we rank on the low end of the totem when it comes to sporting events people are interested in seeing live here.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#9 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Crappy winter and a brand of basketball that isn't that exciting. I mean just go through the threads here and look at the number of posts about how (insert poster name here) isn't as excited about the team this year as last year. Hell, even Rubio was depressed earlier in the season. The constant "Love is going to leave" crap doesn't help either.
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#10 » by LaViggins » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Jukeness wrote:
Twolves_42 wrote:Target Center is so nasty, roads suck to drive on. yesterday was a high of 0, low of -20 with wind chill up to -39. Right now its -9 with -20 wind chill. When its this **** out, all you want to do is sit inside and try to wait it out.

It was not that cold in the twin cities yesterday. The high was like 20, it didnt get that cold until way later at night.

My bad meant 2 days ago, guess it wasnt as bad as my iphone weather said but still terrible. And yeah usually go out late at night so im in the worst of the worst.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Calinks wrote:It's mostly that the team sucks. People already don't care about Pro basketball here so the fact that the team has been wallowing in mediocrity doesn't help anything. You can get 120,000 people to stand around the Saint Paul cathedral in 10 degree weather for 2 hours to see crashed ice where 90 percent of the people wont follow the sport outside of that one day but that's still an easier sell than a wolves game.

The wolves have to be really good to get fans to come out, especially during a bad winter. Remember we rank on the low end of the totem when it comes to sporting events people are interested in seeing live here.

Well, to be fair, that isn't a great comparison. Crashed Ice is a newer thing and only happens once per year. If they did it 41 times during the winter, I'd bet good money that by the 25th event, the attendance would be one hundredth of that.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 pm

C.lupus wrote:Crappy winter and a brand of basketball that isn't that exciting. I mean just go through the threads here and look at the number of posts about how (insert poster name here) isn't as excited about the team this year as last year. Hell, even Rubio was depressed earlier in the season. The constant "Love is going to leave" crap doesn't help either.

Why isn't this brand of basketball exciting? We're one of the highest scoring teams. I've heard others say it, so maybe there's truth to it, but why? Or are people just disappointed because this was the year we were supposed to make the playoffs? It's been a long time of being bad.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Crappy winter and a brand of basketball that isn't that exciting. I mean just go through the threads here and look at the number of posts about how (insert poster name here) isn't as excited about the team this year as last year. Hell, even Rubio was depressed earlier in the season. The constant "Love is going to leave" crap doesn't help either.

Why isn't this brand of basketball exciting? We're one of the highest scoring teams. I've heard others say it, so maybe there's truth to it, but why? Or are people just disappointed because this was the year we were supposed to make the playoffs? It's been a long time of being bad.

People don't think its exciting because Ricky doesn't have the ball 95% of the time

Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#14 » by Jukeness » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

Compared to last year, this team kicks ass. I really was disinterested in a lot of games down the stretch last year, that team was just downright boring. I think this is a fun team to watch.
criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#15 » by criteriado » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:13 pm

When you've been through so many seasons of mediocrity, it's understandable. But we don't have crap players(well, the bench). I mean watching Love and Rubio play, it's fun. It's not like this is a defensive team that struggles to score or something.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

It's been a lot better lately. Earlier in the season it just seemed like a lot of half court set plays and a lot of two-man plays between Love and Martin. It isn't bad basketball but it isn't necessarily exciting to watch for the casual fan, either. You could hear it on the tv, too. You can tell when the crowd is into the game and when they are sleeping.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#17 » by Mattya » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 pm

Combination of awful winter(people just don't understand), increased ticket prices, and disappointing season.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#18 » by LordBaldric » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Didn't they jack up ticket prices this year after the last couple years of heavy discounts?
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#19 » by Saltine » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 pm

I think the price increase (~10% to %40), combined with winter, are the main reasons. I doubt it has much to do with the team. It's been too damn cold, the roads are caked in ice, it gets into your head...
I'd rather camp out at home and watch on TV than drive downtown, and I only live 5 minutes away from the parking ramps. That's assuming my car doesn't get stuck in the 6 inch ice ruts in the alley...not worth the hassle.
And our owner is a fricking billionaire, he doesn't need the cash, they aren't going anywhere. :)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#20 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:12 am

C.lupus wrote:
Calinks wrote:It's mostly that the team sucks. People already don't care about Pro basketball here so the fact that the team has been wallowing in mediocrity doesn't help anything. You can get 120,000 people to stand around the Saint Paul cathedral in 10 degree weather for 2 hours to see crashed ice where 90 percent of the people wont follow the sport outside of that one day but that's still an easier sell than a wolves game.

Well, to be fair, that isn't a great comparison. Crashed Ice is a newer thing and only happens once per year. If they did it 41 times during the winter, I'd bet good money that by the 25th event, the attendance would be one hundredth of that.

I'm just saying Minnesotans aren't afraid of the weather, yes it is probably a factor but they will brave anything if they want to. People will stand outside and freeze their asses off for two hours without thinking twice. If the wolves were a desirable product the fans would show up regardless.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves