General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Re: Should Dieng start long term? 

Post#61 » by cpfsf » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:53 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
That's essentially a team slightly worse than we have now isn't it?

Yep, but still much, much better than the team we would have if Love walks away for nothing.

I guess. You'd also add the #13 pick in there, which would provide some wing depth, and I suppose - who knows, add a new coach and we might surprise people a la Phoenix this year. I just can't fathom the horror of fielding a team where Martin is the primary scorer.

ImageImageImage

what are you talking about? these guys are perfectly suited to be our primary scoring options.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#62 » by mondry » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:19 pm

Krapinsky wrote:I guess. You'd also add the #13 pick in there, which would provide some wing depth, and I suppose - who knows, add a new coach and we might surprise people a la Phoenix this year. I just can't fathom the horror of fielding a team where Martin is the primary scorer.

I think it would be much more about team play and scoring by committee rather than relying on Martin. In fact from what we saw last night I'm thinking about starting Budinger and bringing Martin off the bench. Bud doesn't have the anti synergy with Rubio that Martin does.

I also think Ibaka and Jackson are still rapidly improving and would fit really well with our own younger guys in rubio, dieng, shabazz. I ended up watching OKC vs HOU last night with my gf and her mom and I gotta say, I'm not all that sure OKC trades ibaka and jackson for love heh.

Ibaka was 11-17, 2-4 from 3, 3-4 from the line. He had 27 points, 9 rebounds, 6 blocks, 4 assists, and 2 steals. His range is improving, hitting three's now. He's tenacious shot blocking and his passing has improved and he's a solid rebounder that has become a reliable scorer from pretty much all over. In the paint, mid range, and now even from 3. Paired with Rubio and Pek I think he gives us 85% of Loves offense but 500% more on defense.

Jackson wasn't hitting his threes, he went 7-14, 1-5 from 3, 2-2 at the line. 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal, 17 points, and only 2 turnovers. Westbrook was DNP coaches decision so that is starting but he is the absolute ideal backup PG behind rubio. Having Jackson lead our 2nd unit would be a massive upgrade.

I think Pek can get 20, Ibaka can get 20 (he's never played with a center that warrants defensive attention like Pek or a passer like Rubio), Brewer can get 10, Buddinger 10-15, Rubio 10+. Then off the bench Dieng can get 10, Martin 15, Jackson 10, Shabazz 5-10, depends on his development. That's 110 points on the low end without a back up PF in the equation so while it won't happen like that every night, the potential is there and defensively keeping opponents below 100 would translate into a lot more wins.

I want to keep kevin love really bad, but if he won't commit and we can get ibaka and jackson for him? I'd do it in a heart beat. Imagine down the road if Dieng is starting with Ibaka. That's like 10 blocks a game and all that sexy rim protection you guys like so much.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#63 » by Jukeness » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm not sure the Thunder would give up Ibaka and Jackson to us just for Love, I dont know if Ibaka is someone they want to lose.

To think that the offense could be just as good or better without Love is quite optimistic.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#64 » by AQuintus » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:02 pm

Jukeness wrote:I'm not sure the Thunder would give up Ibaka and Jackson to us just for Love, I dont know if Ibaka is someone they want to lose.

For "just Love?" :-?

JUST Love?!?

To think that the offense would be just as good or better without Love is quite optimistic.

I don't think that anyone is saying this.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#65 » by Jukeness » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:13 pm

AQuintus wrote:
Jukeness wrote:I'm not sure the Thunder would give up Ibaka and Jackson to us just for Love, I dont know if Ibaka is someone they want to lose.

For "just Love?" :-?

JUST Love?!?

To think that the offense would be just as good or better without Love is quite optimistic.

I don't think that anyone is saying this.

Look at Mondry's post a couple posts back.

And yeah I said for just Love what does it matter? I think the Thunder value Jackson and Ibaka pretty highly.

The Thunder are probably better off just developing their players and keeping what they got, so I dont see this trade happening.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#66 » by Feilong » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:26 pm

Great analysis about Gorgui , Pek and the Wolves by David Thorpe. Watch it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10729606
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#67 » by mondry » Sat Apr 5, 2014 9:04 pm

Feilong wrote:Great analysis about Gorgui , Pek and the Wolves by David Thorpe. Watch it.

Good video, I'm glad a talking head called out adelman not playing Dieng and Shabazz. Really kinda makes ya sad thinking what could have been.

I agree with a lot of his points, starters were very positive on the +/- while the bench was the worst in the league. We need improvement there big time but I think shopping pek is only one avenue to explore. When your starters are being so successful I'm not sure you want to move one of the three big pieces of it. When your bench is so bad, it seems to make sense to keep a guy like Dieng there rather than promote him which amplifies the bench problem further.

One thing is for sure though, the bench HAS to get better. If they do and the starters stay as good as they were, I agree with Thorpe that 50 wins isn't out of the question. At this point I don't really care how they pull it off. As usual I'd prefer if they didn't trade pek but as of right now shopping him is one of the only moves that provides us with the flexibility to make some changes.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#68 » by LordBaldric » Sat Apr 5, 2014 9:37 pm

Feilong wrote:Great analysis about Gorgui , Pek and the Wolves by David Thorpe. Watch it.

Thorpe making a lot of sense.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#69 » by PZiv » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:37 am

Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#70 » by Sothron » Mon Apr 7, 2014 3:39 pm

I do hope they can find a good deal for Pek and start Dieng going into next year.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#71 » by willywazza » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:07 am

The emergence of Dieng certainly increases the chances of the team making Pekovic available to bring in other assets.

I think Love would benefit tremendously with a long, athletic shot-blocker paired next to him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves