karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Re: Would you trade Rubio for #6? 

Post#221 » by karch34 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:03 am

GuyFawkes11 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
GuyFawkes11 wrote:
rubio is no where near nash's caliber, every player had to respect nash's jumper, comparing rubio to nash is just being homer

I wasn't comparing him to Steve Nash in any way other than the fact that he was a player that the Mavs under appreciated and let walk away. Anything else is you making up your own implications. So buzz off.

Phoenix also decided to let another team "overpay" Nash. And the rest is history :roll:

You talking about Phoenix when he was 23 or 38 ?
GuyFawkes11
Senior
And1: 71

Post#222 » by GuyFawkes11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:30 am

urinesane wrote:Take away the shooting and list PGs that are better than Rubio in non-shooting categories.

I bet the list will be much smaller than the giant list of scoring PGs you think could replace Rubio and do a better job (and I bet most of them won't be on that list).

If you think a scoring PG is a key to a championship you need to look at NBA Finals history.

There are very few scoring PGs winning finals MVP (or just PGs in general), so I am not sure where this fascination with scoring PGs come from. They aren't a key to success by any means.

Rubio will improve his shooting to the point where he has to be accounted for and that's all he needs to do to be a top PG in the league (and championship caliber).

This is where I am getting at, PG position is not as important as people think, its deep a position, we would be better served using the rubio money on another position and downgrading a little for a PG. Whats the difference between rubio and the worst starting PG in the NBA in steals, 1? 1.5? I'm not saying you need a derrick rose type pg who is a score first, I'm saying we need a pg a team actually needs to account for at end of game situations. Rubio is a heck of player in his own right, But I'd take the 6th pick and downgrade at the position because I think we would be just fine, there is just too many capable PG's in the league ad that list gets bigger with every draft
GuyFawkes11
Senior

Post#223 » by GuyFawkes11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:32 am

karch34 wrote:
GuyFawkes11 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
I wasn't comparing him to Steve Nash in any way other than the fact that he was a player that the Mavs under appreciated and let walk away. Anything else is you making up your own implications. So buzz off.

Phoenix also decided to let another team "overpay" Nash. And the rest is history :roll:

You talking about Phoenix when he was 23 or 38 ?

I didn't actually mean it, just baiting the guy for comparing rubio to nash in dallas situation
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#224 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:08 am

GuyFawkes11 wrote:Whats the difference between rubio and the worst starting PG in the NBA in steals, 1? 1.5?

1.8 steals, so almost two possessions a game.

Combine that with assists, where he is 5.1 assists per game better than the worst PG, there's about 15 ppg extra he's responsible for, not counting the 10 ppg he scored every night. Take away 15 ppg from our season average and we'd be the worst in the NBA, while getting even worse defensively.

Seems like a solid plan.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#225 » by LordBaldric » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 am

GuyFawkes11 wrote:
urinesane wrote:Take away the shooting and list PGs that are better than Rubio in non-shooting categories.

I bet the list will be much smaller than the giant list of scoring PGs you think could replace Rubio and do a better job (and I bet most of them won't be on that list).

If you think a scoring PG is a key to a championship you need to look at NBA Finals history.

There are very few scoring PGs winning finals MVP (or just PGs in general), so I am not sure where this fascination with scoring PGs come from. They aren't a key to success by any means.

Rubio will improve his shooting to the point where he has to be accounted for and that's all he needs to do to be a top PG in the league (and championship caliber).

This is where I am getting at, PG position is not as important as people think, its deep a position, we would be better served using the rubio money on another position and downgrading a little for a PG. Whats the difference between rubio and the worst starting PG in the NBA in steals, 1? 1.5? I'm not saying you need a derrick rose type pg who is a score first, I'm saying we need a pg a team actually needs to account for at end of game situations. Rubio is a heck of player in his own right, But I'd take the 6th pick and downgrade at the position because I think we would be just fine, there is just too many capable PG's in the league ad that list gets bigger with every draft

Don't even bother. These guys are in full circle the wagons mode around Rubio, even though everyone knows no GM would actually offer the #6 pick for him. It's full blown homerism in the vein of Knicks fans going crazy over Shumpert in the past, or Bulls fans going nuts about Butler last summer. Leaps in players' games are often assumed but often there is no improvement or even regression.

Also, watching the intensity of these playoffs, I think Rubio would be total exposed and taken advantage of. He couldn't even do squat in crunch time in the regular season.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#226 » by urinesane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:04 am

GuyFawkes11 wrote:

You completely missed the point. PG is important, but a scoring PG is not (for winning a championship). Rubio will be a championship caliber PG by the time he is 27, you don't trade that away for unknowns. You can't replace Rubio's production outside of scoring easily and the Wolves have enough scorers, they just don't have balanced rotations.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#227 » by urinesane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:34 am

Klomp wrote:
GuyFawkes11 wrote:Whats the difference between rubio and the worst starting PG in the NBA in steals, 1? 1.5?

Combine that with assists, where he is 5.1 assists per game better than the worst PG, there's about 15 ppg extra he's responsible for, not counting the 10 ppg he scored every night. Take away 15 ppg from our season average and we'd be the worst in the NBA, while getting even worse defensively.

Seems like a solid plan.

It would also be interesting if they had a stat for the quality of assists. Rubio tends to get the ball to guys in a position to score or shoot in rhythm, which is incredibly underrated. I think he is one of the best at not only getting the ball to the open man, but at the perfect spot for them to then score without having to do much individually.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#228 » by minimus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 am

urinesane wrote:It would also be interesting if they had a stat for the quality of assists. Rubio tends to get the ball to guys in a position to score or shoot in rhythm, which is incredibly underrated. I think he is one of the best at not only getting the ball to the open man, but at the perfect spot for them to then score without having to do much individually.

You can see how Pacers suffer from this: careless passes, fancy, behind the back passes which lead to low percentage shots
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#229 » by urinesane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:16 am

minimus wrote:
urinesane wrote:It would also be interesting if they had a stat for the quality of assists. Rubio tends to get the ball to guys in a position to score or shoot in rhythm, which is incredibly underrated. I think he is one of the best at not only getting the ball to the open man, but at the perfect spot for them to then score without having to do much individually.

You can see how Pacers suffer from this: careless passes, fancy, behind the back passes which lead to low percentage shots

If the Pacers had Rubio, I think they would be the favorite for the championship.

So many weapons for Rubio to use on that team and would be able to help Hibbert get going with easy buckets.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#230 » by Streakers33 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:01 pm

Wow.... All I gotta say.

Let's give up years of progress with an above average player on the year we have to win, to start over at pg. seriously? U only think of this is u get wiggins. Only.. Rubio stays unless it's for kyrie. Period.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#231 » by Feilong » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:37 pm

This is a dialogue between a Rubio hater and a Rubio supporter.

:argue:
- Let's trade Rubio. He can't shoot and he is overvalued. Trade him for the #6 pick.
- Trade Rubio? If only we could know what will happen if we trade him. :dontknow:
- We will be fine without him. He doesn't do much. The PG position is deep.
- Wait a minute, we were a .500 team two years ago and then Rubio hurt his knee.
- Hmmm and what happened?
- Well from (21-20) we ended (26-40).
- (5-20) without Rubio?
- Yes, without him for a .500 team we turned into the worst team in the league.
- Hmmm, but who cares about history. Let's trade him. Give me the #6 pick. :rock:
- Why i am talking to him. He is :crazy:
Hambone93
Starter
And1: 501

Post#232 » by Hambone93 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:46 pm

Feilong wrote:This is a dialogue between a Rubio hater and a Rubio supporter.

:argue:
- Let's trade Rubio. He can't shoot and he is overvalued. Trade him for the #6 pick.
- Trade Rubio? If only we could know what will happen if we trade him. :dontknow:
- We will be fine without him. He doesn't do much. The PG position is deep.
- Wait a minute, we were a .500 team two years ago and then Rubio hurt his knee.
- Hmmm and what happened?
- Well from (21-20) we ended (26-40).
- (5-20) without Rubio?
- Yes, without him for a .500 team we turned into the worst team in the league.
- Hmmm, but who cares about history. Let's trade him. Give me the #6 pick. :rock:
- Why i am talking to him. He is :crazy:

No, this is a monologue in which you construct a straw man argument to bolster your own opinion.

When Rubio got injured, it wasn't just him. Pek went down shortly after. Followed by Love, then pek again, like six other guy, and then we shut down the season.

I don't agree that we should trade rubio. I think he's a good player that is undervalued due to his bad shooting. I just dislike poor debate techniques.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#233 » by mondry » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:21 pm

I think what this really boils down to is you just had to watch our games to see how much Rubio matters and how much better he makes everyone and just how good he actually is. He passes the eye test and even now is well on his way stats wise to reaching jason kidd in his prime level. That's also been shown in this thread, and it doesn't seem to really matter who you put with Rubio, success is still had. This is evident when guys like Turiaf, Cunningham, Buddinger, and so on get forced into the starting lineups and perform far better than they had as backups.

Meanwhile, if Rubio goes out and you put someone like Barea in, there's a massive drop off in the TEAM's efficiency all around, even if Barea scores 15 to Rubio's 10. I really don't believe their is a meta in today's NBA where you can just downgrade at PG and play whoever because PF, SG, etc are just more important. It may be harder to obtain good to great PF / SG's over PG's but once you have one (in this case PG) they're still an integral part of winning basketball compared to not as good PG's.

What this really comes down to is either A. You don't think Rubio can improve at all and at 23 years old he's hit his ceiling. You're also willing to take the gamble that the #6 pick in the draft might some day exceed Rubio's current high level of play AND that Love will re-sign long term without knowing how that experiment will pan out even though we all know he wants to win now.

B. You're everyone else.
GuyFawkes11
Senior

Post#234 » by GuyFawkes11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Not sure how many people here follow baseball, but rubio reminds me of the whole mauer situation. Local fan base arguing that he is important to the team and its not all about HR's and RBI's and what not, and that he'll eventually get better at those statistics and he is deserving of a big contract, guess what, he was not. Rubio is great right now, but I don't want him for 10mil a year. You guys think more highly of Rubio due to his marketability, like mauer, and that is why he is going to get more than he deserves, he is worth a good amount to the franchise but doesn't help with wins. Rubio is great on our team for what he is making currently, but I'm not interested if he is going to get 10mil, I'm tired of overpaying players on this team, it has put us in a bind for years, forcing us to make lopsided trades just clear up space. Again no one is saying give him up for nothing, people are saying we lose this amount of points and what not if you give him away, but you are not factoring in what you'd get back in a trade plus the money saved
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#235 » by Mattya » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:20 pm

One of the best passers in the league, one of the best defenders from his position, and there are people who want to significantly downgrade to save a few million dollars? Absolutely crazy. I really hope I don't see these same people complain about when we sell late first round picks or refuse to go into the luxury tax.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#236 » by MinneOOPalis » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm

GuyFawkes11 wrote:Not sure how many people here follow baseball, but rubio reminds me of the whole mauer situation. Local fan base arguing that he is important to the team and its not all about HR's and RBI's and what not, and that he'll eventually get better at those statistics and he is deserving of a big contract, guess what, he was not. Rubio is great right now, but I don't want him for 10mil a year. You guys think more highly of Rubio due to his marketability, like mauer, and that is why he is going to get more than he deserves, he is worth a good amount to the franchise but doesn't help with wins.

So because one Baseball player who also didn't improve like we wanted... that means Rubio won't either? :lol:

What a joke.

I havent seen one good argument for trading Rubio YET. All I read is half-assed arguments to why they think Rubio won't improve his shooting after he gave us a half-season to be optimistic.

I feel like you guys either have your own agenda for not liking him or just don't understand basketball enough to appreciate what he brings to the table.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#237 » by LesGrossman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm

urinesane wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Seems like a solid plan.

It would also be interesting if they had a stat for the quality of assists. Rubio tends to get the ball to guys in a position to score or shoot in rhythm, which is incredibly underrated. I think he is one of the best at not only getting the ball to the open man, but at the perfect spot for them to then score without having to do much individually.

Very true. The heat bandwagon brags about lebrons assist numbers when all he does is pass to an open 3pt shooter. Same for CP, he has a bunch of hyper athletic guys he just has to toss the ball somewhere near the rim and theres the assist. Ricky on those teams = top assist man in the league. Dunno what drives some guys, theres certainly some haters out there who cant apprechiate greatness (until it will be gone). Sad, really.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#238 » by urinesane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Glad to see less trolls posting in this thread today.
mthead2121
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#239 » by mthead2121 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:43 pm

urinesane wrote:Glad to see less trolls posting in this thread today.

So cause some people don't think he's the best point guard and would rather explore other options they are trolls? Interesting...
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#240 » by urinesane » Thu May 1, 2014 12:12 am

mthead2121 wrote:
urinesane wrote:Glad to see less trolls posting in this thread today.

So cause some people don't think he's the best point guard and would rather explore other options they are trolls? Interesting...

No, because people think he is easily replaceable just because he doesn't score.

You're either a moron or a troll if you think that. You choose.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves