Gorgui Dieng

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

doubledyll424
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Gorgui Dieng 

Post#21 » by doubledyll424 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:39 pm

AQuintus wrote:
doubledyll424 wrote:Thank GOD you are not our GM!! Although Gorgui Dieng had a very nice rookie year for us he still has a lot to prove. If he continues to do well and can be consistent in more than 2 consecutive seasons we can discuss shipping Pek.

Why? We're on the verge of trading Love. Even with Love and Pekovic, we're not competing for championships. There's no point in trading Pek if we're not getting decent value back for him, but there's also no point on holding on to him at all costs either.

I'm not saying hold on to Pek at all costs, I'm saying that we need to be patient and moving Pek before we know what Gorgui is capable of on a consistent basis would be ill-advised.
Archer1
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#22 » by Archer1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:15 pm

You know who I think Gorgui could eventually be like...?

A taller, better at passing version of Serge Ibaka.

What do you think about that comparison? Yay? Nay?
mateo82
Rookie
And1: 727

Post#23 » by mateo82 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Archer1 wrote:You know who I think Gorgui could eventually be like...?

Nah, I don't think he has the instincts of Ibaka.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#24 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:14 pm

Without Love and with it being a new season scouts will be all over him. He will have to improve in order to maintain a similar level of play. Without Love I definitely look to keep him and Pek for at least the foreseeable future.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#25 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:18 pm

I wouldn't mind us trading Pek to open up minutes for Dieng, but I think for this season we should just lower Pek's minutes to around 28-30 to lower the toll on his body. Hopefully that way he stays healthy and Gorgui gets enough minutes to still improve his game.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#26 » by Saltine » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:12 pm

I wouldn't trade Pek, there is nothing wrong with have multiple competent guys at C. Pek is very difficult to match up against for all but a couple guys in the NBA, he's not a guy you salary dump.

Our 3 centers combined cost $15 million, that's acceptable when the tax starts at $77 million, we have $15.4 million per position available. And Gorgui is cheap until Pek's deal is up.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... dnc&gid=19
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#27 » by Ice32 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:48 pm

I agree with you, watching him reminded me of a raw Ibaka.

Ibakas numbers as a 2nd year starter were 7.8 rebs, 2.8 blks and 10.4 pts

I think Dieng could be at those numbers next year.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#28 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:06 am

Ice32 wrote:

I agree with you, watching him reminded me of a raw Ibaka.

Ibakas numbers as a 2nd year starter were 7.8 rebs, 2.8 blks and 10.4 pts

I think Dieng could be at those numbers next year.

Isn't Dieng already the same age as Ibaka?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Archer1
Ballboy

Post#29 » by Archer1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:37 am

Yes - but Ice was comparing experience in the NBA. Dieng did college for three years. Ibaka did not. But Dieng in his sophomore year could be comparable to Ibaka's sophomore year.

I just see similarities in playing style - agile, athletic, shot blocking, range on jumper. Except Dieng is bigger and a better passer. Is this not true?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,942

Post#30 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 am

Archer1 wrote:Yes - but Ice was comparing experience in the NBA. Dieng did college for three years. Ibaka did not. But Dieng in his sophomore year could be comparable to Ibaka's sophomore year.

I just see similarities in playing style - agile, athletic, shot blocking, range on jumper. Except Dieng is bigger and a better passer. Is this not true?

Dieng doesn't have near the range on his jumper that Ibaka has.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Ice32
Analyst

Post#31 » by Ice32 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:46 am

Klomp wrote:
Archer1 wrote:Yes - but Ice was comparing experience in the NBA. Dieng did college for three years. Ibaka did not. But Dieng in his sophomore year could be comparable to Ibaka's sophomore year.

Dieng doesn't have near the range on his jumper that Ibaka has.

And he prolly wont but it took Ibaka 4 years before he got that range. First 3 years he made 2 three pointers. Last 2 seasons he has made 43.

Dieng doesn't need to shoot threes, but I think he has a solid 15 footer ability, he can rebound, defend and run. All similar to a raw Ibaka.
Archer1
Ballboy

Post#32 » by Archer1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:48 am

I know, but it isn't like he is limited to the paint. He can hit a jumper.
Archer1
Ballboy

Post#33 » by Archer1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks Ice - someone who sees it like I do
Ice32
Analyst

Post#34 » by Ice32 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 am

Archer1 wrote:Thanks Ice - someone who sees it like I do

I think with some development work with a successful big, Hakeem/Ewing/Robinson - Dieng has the skills, he just needs to fine tune them. A turnaround hook, a fadeaway 15 footer, a post up spin, he has the ability. I think with Peks injury past, he will miss 20-30 games, so that allows Dieng to get starter minutes and maybe 24 mpg off the bench. I think a double double is not out of reach.
Ice32
Analyst

Post#35 » by Ice32 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:12 am

And he reminds me of Mutombo - if he could block shots like him, damn that would be sweet.
doubledyll424
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#36 » by doubledyll424 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:10 pm

AQuintus wrote:
doubledyll424 wrote:Thank GOD you are not our GM!! Although Gorgui Dieng had a very nice rookie year for us he still has a lot to prove. If he continues to do well and can be consistent in more than 2 consecutive seasons we can discuss shipping Pek.

Why? We're on the verge of trading Love. Even with Love and Pekovic, we're not competing for championships. There's no point in trading Pek if we're not getting decent value back for him, but there's also no point on holding on to him at all costs either.

I'm preaching patience with our team. Championship teams are most effectively grown and too much turnover is bad for morale. We don't know if we are on the verge of trading love... Pek's value will decrease further after 1 or 2 more years with Gorgui on the team but I don't think getting rid of Pek in a hurry does us any good in the long run.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves