ImageImageImage

Looking ahead to the 2015 NBA draft.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Re: Looking ahead to the 2015 NBA draft. 

Post#41 » by criteriado » Tue Aug 5, 2014 3:18 pm

Jayme96 wrote:
I prefer a pass-first guy like Rubio too. However, he is SOOOOO terrible offensively (his own offense that is, his passing is elite as everyone knows, so he does still contribute on O even if he can't score worth a crap) that he's a liability, and you can't properly run an offense since they don't have to guard him. .

The Wolves had an 115 offensive rating with him on the court, would rate as the best offense on the league last year. He's not a liability, this is pure BS. He's not great but he's above average because ball movement and passing are important things for an offense. He also doesn't shoot much so his shooting doesn't affect the offense a lot.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#42 » by jpatrick » Tue Aug 5, 2014 3:21 pm

I hope Porzingis continues to develop. He would have gone lotto this year. He's nearly seven feet, athletic, crazy shot blocking numbers, and can shoot the three. His problem is he's skinny as hell. At this point, he goes top ten and if he gets big minutes in Spain, he could go top three-ish.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#43 » by Swish4 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 3:27 pm

jpatrick wrote:I hope Porzingis continues to develop. He would have gone lotto this year. He's nearly seven feet, athletic, crazy shot blocking numbers, and can shoot the three. His problem is he's skinny as hell. At this point, he goes top ten and if he gets big minutes in Spain, he could go top three-ish.

Possibly the highest ceiling I've seen in a player in a long time. Amazing skills for a 7 footer. Great character kid too, I've read. Would be amazing watching him teaming up with Gorgui defending the paint. Perfect piece for our roster going forward IMO.
Jayme96
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#44 » by Jayme96 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 3:53 pm

Yeah Porzingis is a toothpick. But guys like Tayshawn Prince have shown that you can be a toothpick and succeed in this league if you're good enough. He has athleticism and skill level, so he can be a finesse player and succeed at his size hopefully. He's projected 16 on NBADraft.net last night I believe, but I don't see how he could go that low unless he won't come over for a long time or they think he's too frail. Same with Hezonja at #8. What I've seen in videos of them, and what I've read on them, they should be top 3 picks.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#45 » by jpatrick » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:20 pm

I think Ford has Prozingis at #4 on his big board, but he's usually a little higher on Euros than others.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#46 » by ace625214 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:23 pm

A lot of the stuff I've read on Porzingis says that his frame looks like it would hold quite a bit of added weight easily. Dirk is 245 and doesn't ever get pushed around. Porzingis is only a teenager and is 210. Add 20 pounds or so like Ibaka did and he's in the perfect spot for his skillset.
Wolves_Nation
Bench Warmer
And1: 403

Post#47 » by Wolves_Nation » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:51 pm

All I have to say is next year is going to be our year! For the lottery that is... I think we finally move up! Even one spot would make me happy.
Jayme96
Sophomore

Post#48 » by Jayme96 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 7:19 pm

ace625214 wrote:A lot of the stuff I've read on Porzingis says that his frame looks like it would hold quite a bit of added weight easily. Dirk is 245 and doesn't ever get pushed around. Porzingis is only a teenager and is 210. Add 20 pounds or so like Ibaka did and he's in the perfect spot for his skillset.

I think he has very narrow shoulders, unlike Dirk, so idk if he could add much weight. He's VERY thin, but he's also very young.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by ace625214 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 7:43 pm

Jayme96 wrote:
ace625214 wrote:A lot of the stuff I've read on Porzingis says that his frame looks like it would hold quite a bit of added weight easily. Dirk is 245 and doesn't ever get pushed around. Porzingis is only a teenager and is 210. Add 20 pounds or so like Ibaka did and he's in the perfect spot for his skillset.

I think he has very narrow shoulders, unlike Dirk, so idk if he could add much weight. He's VERY thin, but he's also very young.

Look at pictures of him. Specifically the ones on Draft Express. He's got pretty wide shoulders, he just doesn't have a lot of muscle packed on. Scouts specifically mention that he has a frame that can handle more weight with age.
King Stannis
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#50 » by King Stannis » Wed Aug 6, 2014 6:59 am

It seems many of you see the Wolves picking #6-#10. Perhaps a pick or two from Cleveland can move you up a few slots into the top-five.

That worth more than Young in your opinions?
Bend the knee.

ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by ace625214 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:21 pm

King Stannis wrote:It seems many of you see the Wolves picking #6-#10. Perhaps a pick or two from Cleveland can move you up a few slots into the top-five.

That worth more than Young in your opinions?

If it takes two 1sts and Bennett, yes. I don't think it will take that much to get Young, though. My guess is Bennett, a Cavs 1st, and then something involving Barea/Moute. I think Philly would like to have Moute around full-time, since he's kind of Embiid's NBA mentor. As others have said, too much youth can be bad. The coaches are there to guide the young guys, but you still need vets in there to help out. They don't have to be vocal leaders, but guys like Corey and Thad that have been around the block, yet still bust their asses, would be great examples for the young guys.
Northern hoops
Senior
And1: 217

Post#52 » by Northern hoops » Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:00 pm

You know someone else who was pretty skinny?
MaxMN
Junior
And1: 95

Post#53 » by MaxMN » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:20 pm

What about Willie Cauley-Stein?

We could have the twin towers in Dieng and him..
"Wiggins wasn't as good as our second best player Gay, and it's questionable if he even gets to that level. He isn't proven." -Kings2013 on 06/09/2015
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#54 » by Swish4 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 9:56 pm

Jayme96 wrote:

Maybe he should do something that makes him look more intimidating. Like taking up smoking. Or wearing a shark suit maybe. Or a tattoo. A tattoo of a guy in a shark suit, smoking.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#55 » by Basti » Thu Aug 7, 2014 11:34 am

Jayme96 wrote:
Basti wrote:
Jayme96 wrote:
He's 6'4.5". Draft express pre-draft measurements. So no, he's not 6'6", but it should be rounded up to 6'5". Which position he could be is to be determined. I like the Russell Westbrook comparisons and would hope he could become that, but his handle is a bit iffy. In summer league he looked like a good drive and dish type though. Regardless, I'd rather have him at PG than pay Rubio max.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't. Not that I want Ricky to get the max but if you have a PG on your team that can run a team like very few others it makes the games so much easier for the rest of the team. If the rest of the line up can pick up the scoring and Ricky actually develops a solid jumper we wouldn't need a Westbrook type of player. Running a team is so much more worth than driving and dishing.

I prefer a pass-first guy like Rubio too. However, he is SOOOOO terrible offensively (his own offense that is, his passing is elite as everyone knows, so he does still contribute on O even if he can't score worth a crap) that he's a liability, and you can't properly run an offense since they don't have to guard him. He really regressed last year, couldn't even finish a layup at times. It's pretty pathetic really. You have 15-20 mill a year tied up in a guy like him, and your franchise is handicapped big time. IF he develops a jumper, which I don't see happening at this point, then he's worth every penny. But like I said, I don't see that happening. He sets a set-shot, no arc, and he's been a pro for damn near a decade already. If it was gonna happen, it should've a long time ago. It's the most basic thing there is in basketball, and he still doesn't have it. He also won't have a guy like Love to pass to anymore, so his passing might not even be that great, or at least productive since if the guys you pass to can't score either then you won't get assists. He'll have to get a lot in transition, or hope that guys like LaVine and Budinger on the perimeter can hit those open 3s.

In the end though, if LaVine could be another Westbrook, but taller and without the attitude, that would be huge for the Wolves. He was one of 2 guys I was hoping for in this draft. The other was McDermott. So my 2 favorite teams actually got my 2 favorite guys from the draft. Unheard of lol. In summer league, LaVine was actually guarding McDermott at times too, much to my surprise. That's the other thing I like about having long, athletic players. When your starting PG can guard the other team's starting SF, that gives you LOTS of options. (LaVine was the PG in that game).

Back to the draft, I think the Wolves could really use a guy like Mario who has ideal size and a very versatile skillset as a 2nd ball handler. When I read that a SG has "PG or point forward capabilities", I'm interested, especially at his size and with his dunking. That takes pressure off of Rubio to have to create every time and maybe he can work on his own offense a little so the Ds have to be honest and not cheat off of him. The 7' Latvian I mentioned is another guy that has a great handle for a guy his size and position. That's what I like in a player, versatility and something more unique for their size/position.

I agree with you that Ricky will most likely never be a good shooter but as criteriado pointed out the Wolves had such a great offense last year when he was on the court. He's not a liability on the court when he's aggressive. With Love being gone he has to be more aggressive offensively. That should only help his development.

On the other hand, it remains to be seen if the offense will be as good as it was last year now that Love is most likely gone. It won't be as great but I still believe we'll end up with an above average offense because of Ricky.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#56 » by immortalone23 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:54 pm

Hello all,
I'm a Cavs fan but I live in Minneapolis! I still root for the Wolves because MN is my homestate. I hope when you get Wiggins, you'll make the most of it!
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#57 » by LordBaldric » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:59 pm

Keep in mind the lottery system is probably going to be revamped before the next draft.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by ace625214 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 5:12 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Keep in mind the lottery system is probably going to be revamped before the next draft.

If our odds were higher and we did somehow get the first pick, I'd prefer trading down a few spots. Obviously things can change greatly before next June, but Okafor and Mudiay are the two top prospects right now. Neither of them would really fit on our roster. Well, Mudiay might if Martin/Williams are both gone, but Okafor wouldn't. Ending up around 4 would be good, because we could take one of Alexander/Towns/Porzingis.
Jayme96
Sophomore

Post#59 » by Jayme96 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 12:10 am

ace625214 wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:Keep in mind the lottery system is probably going to be revamped before the next draft.

If our odds were higher and we did somehow get the first pick, I'd prefer trading down a few spots. Obviously things can change greatly before next June, but Okafor and Mudiay are the two top prospects right now. Neither of them would really fit on our roster. Well, Mudiay might if Martin/Williams are both gone, but Okafor wouldn't. Ending up around 4 would be good, because we could take one of Alexander/Towns/Porzingis.

Yeah if that were to happen, which I doubt, I don't know if I'd trade back. Someone might pull a Cavaliers with Bennett and draft a darkhorse (that you had your eye on) at #1, so you might outsmart yourself. I don't know who will be considered the top guy(s) by then, but if a guy like Hezonja or Porzingis who I like is available I take them. I'd hate to think I'm getting extra value and then have my guy go instead. A good example is the Bulls trading back out of #2 to #4, picking up the Crapper (Viktor Khryapa or w/e his name was) in the process, and going from a quality player in LaMarcus Aldridge to a bust in Tyrus Thomas. Ironically enough, that is how I view the Wolves trade here. McDermott vs Wiggins. Wiggins could turn into a Tyrus, whereas McDermott is the less athletic but more skilled safer pick that isn't as sexy. Not a perfect comparison, but you maybe get the idea anyway.
Jayme96
Sophomore

Post#60 » by Jayme96 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 12:19 am

Basti wrote:
Jayme96 wrote:
Basti wrote:
Quite frankly, I wouldn't. Not that I want Ricky to get the max but if you have a PG on your team that can run a team like very few others it makes the games so much easier for the rest of the team. If the rest of the line up can pick up the scoring and Ricky actually develops a solid jumper we wouldn't need a Westbrook type of player. Running a team is so much more worth than driving and dishing.

I prefer a pass-first guy like Rubio too. However, he is SOOOOO terrible offensively (his own offense that is, his passing is elite as everyone knows, so he does still contribute on O even if he can't score worth a crap) that he's a liability, and you can't properly run an offense since they don't have to guard him. He really regressed last year, couldn't even finish a layup at times. It's pretty pathetic really. You have 15-20 mill a year tied up in a guy like him, and your franchise is handicapped big time. IF he develops a jumper, which I don't see happening at this point, then he's worth every penny. But like I said, I don't see that happening. He sets a set-shot, no arc, and he's been a pro for damn near a decade already. If it was gonna happen, it should've a long time ago. It's the most basic thing there is in basketball, and he still doesn't have it. He also won't have a guy like Love to pass to anymore, so his passing might not even be that great, or at least productive since if the guys you pass to can't score either then you won't get assists. He'll have to get a lot in transition, or hope that guys like LaVine and Budinger on the perimeter can hit those open 3s.

In the end though, if LaVine could be another Westbrook, but taller and without the attitude, that would be huge for the Wolves. He was one of 2 guys I was hoping for in this draft. The other was McDermott. So my 2 favorite teams actually got my 2 favorite guys from the draft. Unheard of lol. In summer league, LaVine was actually guarding McDermott at times too, much to my surprise. That's the other thing I like about having long, athletic players. When your starting PG can guard the other team's starting SF, that gives you LOTS of options. (LaVine was the PG in that game).

Back to the draft, I think the Wolves could really use a guy like Mario who has ideal size and a very versatile skillset as a 2nd ball handler. When I read that a SG has "PG or point forward capabilities", I'm interested, especially at his size and with his dunking. That takes pressure off of Rubio to have to create every time and maybe he can work on his own offense a little so the Ds have to be honest and not cheat off of him. The 7' Latvian I mentioned is another guy that has a great handle for a guy his size and position. That's what I like in a player, versatility and something more unique for their size/position.

I agree with you that Ricky will most likely never be a good shooter but as criteriado pointed out the Wolves had such a great offense last year when he was on the court. He's not a liability on the court when he's aggressive. With Love being gone he has to be more aggressive offensively. That should only help his development.

On the other hand, it remains to be seen if the offense will be as good as it was last year now that Love is most likely gone. It won't be as great but I still believe we'll end up with an above average offense because of Ricky.

That could be. I don't think he'll do as much without Love taking all the attention and making all the shots though. The Wolves are screwed this year unless they can just flat out out-run the opponent, because they will have no other offense, at all. NONE. It's going to be ugly.

Rubio - horrible on offense except passing - can't even make a layup and shoots bricks
Brewer - again, he's a fast break guy only, unless he can hit the occasional spot-up 3. Can't create his own shot at all
Wiggins - much the same as Brewer really I expect
Bennett - sucks - no PF on the roster worth noting either, which is why I preferred the Mirotic/McDermott trade
Dieng - can't create his own shot, but could be good looks for Rubio
Pek - always hurt, a load under the basket - maybe he'll explode this year if his foot can stay healthy.
Budinger - good shot but can't create his own looks - maybe he'll have to start alongside Brewer on the wing
LaVine - very raw, could turn into something though

With the exception of Pek, at least that roster is all suited for a run and gun type system. There's a serious lack of shooters and anyone that can handle the ball outside of Rubio though. That's just my take on the team. I left off the guys out of favor or minor guys, or just forgot a few too I'm sure. Mo Williams plays PG too so I left him off even though I'm sure they'll both be out there together at times.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves