ImageImageImage

We need to keep Martin

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Re: We need to keep Martin 

Post#61 » by Ice32 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Wiggins is a number one pick - he SHOULD start, he was picked number one for a reason.

Unless Chase gets injured, how does Lavine get more mins than him?? Lavine is a 3rd string SG for now.

Pek is our starting centre, not Dieng.

Brewer should be the 6th Man, but Flip may want his defense and leadership in the SL.

Rubio and Pek are the only locks for starting gigs, maybe Martin, but he could be a 6th Man possibly.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#62 » by ace625214 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Wiggins will start and Brewer will either be at SG or on the bench. The front office has said when they signed him they wanted him in a bench role. Bud's injury didn't let that happen, but with Wiggins on board it will happen now.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,956

Post#63 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 pm

Ice32 wrote:Unless Chase gets injured, how does Lavine get more mins than him?? Lavine is a 3rd string SG for now.

Rick Adelman isn't our coach any more.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Ice32
Analyst

Post#64 » by Ice32 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
Ice32 wrote:Unless Chase gets injured, how does Lavine get more mins than him?? Lavine is a 3rd string SG for now.

Rick Adelman isn't our coach any more.

True, I just think if healthy, Chase would easily get minutes ahead of Lavine based on his ability to stretch the floor

It will be fun though to watch Lavine highlight dunks in blowout games.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Ice32 wrote:True, I just think if healthy, Chase would easily get minutes ahead of Lavine based on his ability to stretch the floor

It will be fun though to watch Lavine highlight dunks in blowout games.

LaVine will stretch the floor too. He's more than just a dunker.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Ice32
Analyst

Post#66 » by Ice32 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:24 pm

His 3PT shooting in college was decent at 37% - In Summer League that dropped to 26% - but only a small sample I guess.

Wolves do lack perimeter shooting - only Rubio, Martin, Chase and Mo are consistent 3PT threats. Wiggins is a maybe, 34% in college, 15% in Summer League. Brewer is a no with 30% career.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#67 » by AQuintus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Klomp wrote:Rick Adelman isn't our coach any more.

Exactly. Flip is the head coach now, and Flip loves LaVine. Same deal with Wiggins.

I expect that Wiggins will be starting from day 1, and that LaVine will be getting minutes from day one and will likely be starting by the end of the year.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#68 » by Dewey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:51 am

If Martin stays, he needs to be more of a role player as the season develops ... simply put I see no sense in a one way player starting and playing heavy minutes while 1st rounders ride pine through the entire season.

Say we're able to move Shved/JJ/Moute/pick and acquire Young ... what's our short-term weakness?
Guard = Rubio/Williams/Lavine/Martin/Budinger
Forward = Wiggins/Brewer/Bazz/GRIII/Bennett/Young/Hummel
Center = Turiaf/Dieng/Pek

clearly we'd need to sign a veteran defensive F/C for depth ... for all practical purposes, Blatche would be a decent option as suggested by previous posters. Has some size, can handle 10-15 minutes pretty easy, and has a realistic price tag for a short-term stop-gap to help out interior defense. We got some time and moveable pieces
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#69 » by Worm Guts » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:33 am

If we have Young and Bennett, we probably don't need Blatche. Blatche is better than Bennett, but Bennett needs some playing time
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#70 » by jade_hippo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:38 am

I think Blatche did or is going to sign a massive deal in Asia anyways. Slim chance he's an NBA baller this year regardless.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 am

jade_hippo wrote:I think Blatche did or is going to sign a massive deal in Asia anyways. Slim chance he's an NBA baller this year regardless.

He's playing for the Phillipines in the World Cup, but there's been nothing about a contract.

Also...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Phantele_/status/497101592831995906[/tweet]

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#72 » by minimus » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:06 am

Blatche ruined Flip career in WAS. He can be cancer in locker room for our young players. He doesn't defend. Why on the Earth are we speaking about him?
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#73 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:12 am

Ice32 wrote:His 3PT shooting in college was decent at 37% - In Summer League that dropped to 26% - but only a small sample I guess.

Wolves do lack perimeter shooting - only Rubio, Martin, Chase and Mo are consistent 3PT threats. Wiggins is a maybe, 34% in college, 15% in Summer League. Brewer is a no with 30% career.

I think I'd trust Brewer more to make a 3 then Rubio. Rubio might have a better percentage, but Brewer shoots(and makes) a lot more, plus he is pretty streaky so he can get hot back there. I'd really only count on Martin/Mo as good shooters. Everyone else is either bad, or streaky.
Ice32
Analyst

Post#74 » by Ice32 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:28 am

moss_is_1 wrote:
Ice32 wrote:His 3PT shooting in college was decent at 37% - In Summer League that dropped to 26% - but only a small sample I guess.

I think I'd trust Brewer more to make a 3 then Rubio. Rubio might have a better percentage, but Brewer shoots(and makes) a lot more, plus he is pretty streaky so he can get hot back there. I'd really only count on Martin/Mo as good shooters. Everyone else is either bad, or streaky.

One good thing Brewer started doing last season was reducing his number of 3PT attempts each month - because he was more focused on getting to the rim and shooting at a higher clip. But if he can get that left corner three going again like in Denver (41%) then thats a bonus and will certainly help the Wolves.
kbrow20
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#75 » by kbrow20 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:52 am

Honestly I would say your best bet is to start Wiggins and LaVine at the 3 and 2. I would recommend not trading Martin and force him to play as a catch and shoot to increase his value. If he plays like he did last year and just become a ball hog then Flip suspending him till he realizes what not to do. At the trade deadline I would shop him and see what assets he can bring back to make your team better for the future. If need be based on how you guys feel. You can run everything though Pek and Martin to increase their values to see what pieces you can get off of a playoff team.
RightToCensor wrote:Rubio is just too damn inefficient to be a team's primary option for offense. He needs to play in a system offense for you to get the best out of him. Trade him to New York, Dallas, or any other team that could use a poor-man's Rajon Rondo.
Really LOL
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#76 » by Streakers33 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 am

^^^. That's what I fully expect also.

Pek and Martin playing their vet roles and starting some and not starting some. Also reduced mins to keep healthy cuz we actually have a real excitement for our bench. If it equals wins. We keep going. If if doesn't and we are a bottom feeder. I see pek and Martin offered at deadline. Maybe even brewer or chase. Cuz those four could easily be role players for a play off team.
kbrow20
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#77 » by kbrow20 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Streakers33 wrote:^^^. That's what I fully expect also.

Pek and Martin playing their vet roles and starting some and not starting some. Also reduced mins to keep healthy cuz we actually have a real excitement for our bench. If it equals wins. We keep going. If if doesn't and we are a bottom feeder. I see pek and Martin offered at deadline. Maybe even brewer or chase. Cuz those four could easily be role players for a play off team.

Agreed, I think this season should be about 6 things. First two are increasing Pek's and Martin's trade value. Secondly increase minutes and maintain at least 20-25 minutes to the following players LaVine, Muhammad, Wiggins, and Dieng to give them as much you can to watch them develop. No offence but I don't see you guys making the playoffs, so develop them as much as you can so you can bounce back as quickly as you can. If you don't give them that much minutes it will reduce how much they will learn this season and decrease their experience that they require. Flip teach them well so your team can bounce back in the 2016 season, you have 2014 and 2015 season to try to get these guys to develop fully and make you guys serious contenders in 2016. I just hope Wiggins or LaVine aren't busts. I want to see you guys compete as soon as possible
RightToCensor wrote:Rubio is just too damn inefficient to be a team's primary option for offense. He needs to play in a system offense for you to get the best out of him. Trade him to New York, Dallas, or any other team that could use a poor-man's Rajon Rondo.
Really LOL

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves