ImageImageImage

Do you think KG was underrated when in Minnesota?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Re: Do you think KG was underrated when in Minnesota? 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:00 pm

guest81 wrote:Well outside the spree/cassell year, the most wins the Wolves had was 51 which I think made them the 4th seed. Today they would of been the 7th seed. They also had years where they won like 45 and 47 games and still made the playoffs when they wouldn't of last year. I think they made the playoffs being under .500 once but I'm not positive.

That could also be a result of so many bad teams in the East, inflating the team records.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#42 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:33 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Garnett was absolutely underrated. He gained more notoriety for what he did in Boston, despite being a clearly inferior player there, than he was in Minnesota.

When KG arrived in Boston, I can't tell you how much guilt and regret I felt for not watching him more often when he was in his prime.
Ajohnson85
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#43 » by Ajohnson85 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 7:44 pm

gold0259 wrote:
Ajohnson85 wrote:
gold0259 wrote:KG and Kevin Love basically had the same situation, both great players but couldn't get it done on their own. Needed the "big three" for kg to succeed twice in his career.

Thats a rookie comment....Garnett at least brought those terrible teams to the playoffs every year.

KG had the talent, had a voice in who was brought in. Also the West wasn't nearly as difficult back in the KG wolves era, as it is today. GS, OKC, LAC, HOU.

Try again rookie, you have like 40 posts SMVMFH :noway:

The west wasn't good back then??? Sacramento, Lakers, Spurs would beat any team in the west today. Garnestt sure had a lot of talent. He had one year with talent and he went to the western conference finals...what about the 8 other years?
Ajohnson85
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#44 » by Ajohnson85 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 7:49 pm

gold0259 wrote:1997 Googs allstar, Steph, and Kg. No way Kg could have replaced Duncan on SAS. Look at how many more games/minutes Tim Duncan has played than KG, and look his is still going strong, and KG looks like a burned out Boxer just hanging around and injury prone.
KG was great but over rated, and due to his Salary demands we couldn't surround him with better players, so his demands handcuffed the wolves so. kmgarnett21 SMFVH, my opinion in mine. Those comments only belittle yourself.

Several Wrong statements...steph was never an all-star as a timberwolf. Duncan never averaged more games/minutes in a season until garnett got hurt on the celtics.
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#45 » by gold0259 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 2:34 am

Ajohnson85 wrote:
gold0259 wrote:1997 Googs allstar, Steph, and Kg. No way Kg could have replaced Duncan on SAS. Look at how many more games/minutes Tim Duncan has played than KG, and look his is still going strong, and KG looks like a burned out Boxer just hanging around and injury prone.
KG was great but over rated, and due to his Salary demands we couldn't surround him with better players, so his demands handcuffed the wolves so. kmgarnett21 SMFVH, my opinion in mine. Those comments only belittle yourself.

Several Wrong statements...steph was never an all-star as a timberwolf. Duncan never averaged more games/minutes in a season until garnett got hurt on the celtics.

Read English.
1997 Goofs allstar, **note the comma sonny. That doesn't continue with steph being an allstar.
With all the Playoff games Duncan yes has played more games and overall min/career.
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#46 » by gold0259 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 2:35 am

:banghead:
Ajohnson85 wrote:

Read English.
1997 Goofs allstar, **note the comma sonny. That doesn't continue with steph being an allstar.
With all the Playoff games Duncan yes has played more games and overall min/career.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#47 » by Albanian Damien » Thu Sep 4, 2014 5:26 am

I always liked how people brought up the fact that Garnett constantly "failed" to get his team out the first round. Without ever giving credit for even making the playoffs 8 years in a row and having 4 50 win teams. Honestly, if you took KG off those 50 win season teams they would struggle to get to 30 win. That's the kind of impact he had, and it was all overshadowed by incompetent team mates and management. It really is a shame.
My Starting 5:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Patrick Ewing
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#48 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 3:48 pm

Who would you take (2003 rosters/players):

Troy Hudson
Anthony Peeler
Kendall Gill/Wally (who missed 30+ games)
Tim Duncan
Rasho Nesterovic
with Peeler/Gill as 6th man

or

Tony Parker
Stephen Jackson
Bruce Bowen
Kevin Garnett
David Robinson
with Ginobili as 6th man
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,335

Post#49 » by Calinks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:KG was probably top 3 in recent (Past 25 years) sports history icons in Minnesota. That three is probably Puckett, Mauer, and KG. Adrien Peterson is right there and may surpass KG as there are way more vikings fans than wolves fans but I feel like KG fans were still more connected to KG than AD.

KG just had a passion that was contagious. When he got hyped, you got hyped. He gave this franchise an identity. One that it has been missing for years now.

I'd put it Puckett, Adrian, KG, Mauer

So much for that now Peterson probably off the list. KG moves into second.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#50 » by mandurugo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:26 pm

Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:KG was probably top 3 in recent (Past 25 years) sports history icons in Minnesota. That three is probably Puckett, Mauer, and KG. Adrien Peterson is right there and may surpass KG as there are way more vikings fans than wolves fans but I feel like KG fans were still more connected to KG than AD.

KG just had a passion that was contagious. When he got hyped, you got hyped. He gave this franchise an identity. One that it has been missing for years now.

I'd put it Puckett, Adrian, KG, Mauer

Peterson's teams never accomplished anything, I think it's a stretch to say he would make it into the top 3. Randy Moss should rate higher than him, and he's nowhere near the big 3. Of course, Mauer's been pretty worthless as well. So let's just say it's KG and Puckett.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#51 » by guest81 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 pm

mandurugo wrote:
Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:I'd put it Puckett, Adrian, KG, Mauer

Peterson's teams never accomplished anything, I think it's a stretch to say he would make it into the top 3. Randy Moss should rate higher than him, and he's nowhere near the big 3. Of course, Mauer's been pretty worthless as well. So let's just say it's KG and Puckett.

Well both Moss and AP made it to the NFC championship game but never advanced so they are equal. KG went to the WCF but no further. So really as far as accomplishments, they all are about the same
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#52 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Puckett had his own domestic issues, although his came after his career so no one remembers them.
mandurugo
Starter

Post#53 » by mandurugo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:53 pm

guest81 wrote:
mandurugo wrote:
Calinks wrote:So much for that now Peterson probably off the list. KG moves into second.

Well both Moss and AP made it to the NFC championship game but never advanced so they are equal. KG went to the WCF but no further. So really as far as accomplishments, they all are about the same

Yeah, I guess that's probably true - I just liked watching the Vikings more during Moss's heyday. That team could score from anywhere at any time and the defense was pretty solid several of the years too. And watching KG with the wolves was about as fun as sports get for me. Peterson's teams just haven't been much fun despite his individual accomplishments. Of course, that's all perspective.
mandurugo
Starter

Post#54 » by mandurugo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Puckett had his own domestic issues, although his came after his career so no one remembers them.

Good point, timing is everything on legacy. Much like other entertainment stars, these guys aren't becoming famous because the are such awesome well rounded people, but because they are extraordinarily successful at something. As the intensity of the spotlight on them increases flaws become more visible. It's not like sports heroes from back in the day were such good people, but in those days reporters didn't report bad news or took an active role in hiding it. I shudder to think of the footage TMZ could have gotten of Babe Ruth.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#55 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Moss is ahead of everybody except Puckett and maybe KG. He gets bumped down by people because he was a dick and KG gets knob-hobbed because he was perceived as this eccentric introspective brooding artist type by Minnesotans.

Moss invented the go-to play of: "throw it as far as you can and I'll go catch it" - easy to execute and hard to stop. KG helped make a bunch of role players look solid...well Moss made Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, and Daunte Culpepper into pro bowl caliber quarterbacks. He may very well be the only person in the history of the universe with that ability. Mauer can hit his stupid singles all day long and it doesn't make the slightest difference. Moss catches a bomb and it's usually 6 points on the board, or at least 3.

He didn't get to the super bowl, no. Not his fault. He can't kick Gary Anderson's field goals for him and he can't stop the front office from putting the worst secondary in the NFL on the field year in and year out.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#56 » by Saltine » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:18 am

Puck still makes me smile. :D
I got so wasted after game 7 in '87, lol :nod:
Highway 94 into downtown was a parking ramp :lol: :P

Thanks Puck! :rockon:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#57 » by Worm Guts » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Moss is ahead of everybody except Puckett and maybe KG. He gets bumped down by people because he was a dick and KG gets knob-hobbed because he was perceived as this eccentric introspective brooding artist type by Minnesotans.

Moss invented the go-to play of: "throw it as far as you can and I'll go catch it" - easy to execute and hard to stop. KG helped make a bunch of role players look solid...well Moss made Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, and Daunte Culpepper into pro bowl caliber quarterbacks. He may very well be the only person in the history of the universe with that ability. Mauer can hit his stupid singles all day long and it doesn't make the slightest difference. Moss catches a bomb and it's usually 6 points on the board, or at least 3.

He didn't get to the super bowl, no. Not his fault. He can't kick Gary Anderson's field goals for him and he can't stop the front office from putting the worst secondary in the NFL on the field year in and year out.

Just to defend Mauer a little bit, his MVP season was legit. Hit for average, power and played quality defense at one of the toughest positions.
mcrow
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#58 » by mcrow » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:46 pm

I don't think he was under rated at all. I think he was generally regarded as one of the top players in the league and he was. He was generally loved by the fans locally and nationally. Howver, he never played in a finals here and while it wasn't his fault that they didn't it is a blemish on his time here so that isn't a totally invalid knock.
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#59 » by invno1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:34 pm

No!!!
sleepless 43
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#60 » by sleepless 43 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 am

Yes I did but I have learned a whole lot since.I was for the trade that sent him to Boston and even though it helped out the NBA as a WHOLE it didn't help out our team. I'm really glad he won a championship and l don't think he would have here.Kevin Love on the other hand was overrated in my opinion and I don't believe he will ever win a championship.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves