ImageImageImage

If Young leaves in a year...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

bringWallyBack
Junior
And1: 310

If Young leaves in a year... 

Post#1 » by bringWallyBack » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 am

I know the team hasn't yet acquire neither Wiggins nor Young but that's the rumor. Any who, my question is more about a 'what if' post-Young question, since he has mentioned wanting to play for a contender should the Wolves experiment with a line up of Dieng and Pekovic up front if and when he leaves?

Something along the lines of: Rubio, Martin, Wiggins, Dieng and Pekovic.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: If Young leaves in a year... 

Post#2 » by AQuintus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 am

No. If Young leaves (which, imo, is a good bet), then we draft his replacement in the lotto next year.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,957

Post#3 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 am

We haven't even gotten him and already are expecting him to leave next summer.

Typical Minnesota fans...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#4 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51 am

Klomp wrote:We haven't even gotten him and already are expecting him to leave next summer.

It's a likely scenario if he plays decent here. Many free agents got overpaid big time this off-season.
bringWallyBack
Junior
And1: 310

Post#5 » by bringWallyBack » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:52 am

Klomp wrote:We haven't even gotten him and already are expecting him to leave next summer.

Lol he has mentioned about wanting to play for a contender. I'm just wondering about that spot since I believe the Wolves would wanna give Dieng more playing time without having a 10 million dollar 6th man
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#6 » by Feilong » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:09 am

bringWallyBack wrote:

Lol he has mentioned about wanting to play for a contender. I'm just wondering about that spot since I believe the Wolves would wanna give Dieng more playing time without having a 10 million dollar 6th man

He mentioned he wanted to play for a contender???? Contrary to other players who want to play for a tanking team.
PuppyBite
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#7 » by PuppyBite » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:29 am

AQuintus wrote:No. If Young leaves (which, imo, is a good bet), then we draft his replacement in the lotto next year.

Ummmm. Isn't Anthony Bennett a PF? Maybe in one year the Timberwolves don't care where Young goes.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#8 » by breatnach » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:44 am

Feilong wrote:
bringWallyBack wrote:

He mentioned he wanted to play for a contender???? Contrary to other players who want to play for a tanking team.

Fair point :D
King Stannis
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#9 » by King Stannis » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:17 am

You'll have cap space. Give him an offer he can't refuse.
Bend the knee.

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#10 » by Saltine » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 am

I doubt he turns down his $9.9 million option. He won't get more than that on the market unless he kicks ass for us, in which case we have his bird rights... :)
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#11 » by Krapinsky » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:43 am

This thread might have given me cancer.

Dieng and Pek isn't a long term front court solution. That's why we're trading for Young in the first place. How come Realgm gets all the wolves cynics? The rubes all seem like such a happy go lucky bunch.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#12 » by AQuintus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:03 am

PuppyBite wrote:
Ummmm. Isn't Anthony Bennett a PF? Maybe in one year the Timberwolves don't care where Young goes.

Most (all, really) teams have more then one PF in their rotation.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#13 » by Saltine » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:16 am

AQuintus wrote:
PuppyBite wrote:

Most (all, really) teams have more then one PF in their rotation.

Yep. Seems like a recent trend to actually have at least 2 guys at each position... I guess it makes some sense with that pesky 14 man minimum roster size they included in the CBA.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#14 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:35 am

I'm not worried about it. Just make Thad a fair offer if he opts out. If he takes it he takes it, if he doesn't he doesn't.

Everyone wants to play for a contender, but contenders don't often have a lot of cap space, and if they do, they're usually throwing that money at an all-star.

And by playing "for a contender", I doubt Thad is demanding that he play for the Spurs or Thunder immediately. The situation he was in was a 76ers team that is hardcore tanking for the next couple of years. I'm sure if the Timberwolves are able to show the promise of being a competitive team relatively soon, Thad would be happy.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:58 am

Krapinsky wrote:This thread might have given me cancer.

Dieng and Pek isn't a long term front court solution. That's why we're trading for Young in the first place. How come Realgm gets all the wolves cynics? The rubes all seem like such a happy go lucky bunch.

Because some people consider the future, in fact an immediate future in which we could lose the first round pick for nothing. A future that could have Flip weighing whether Rubio is worth the big price tag or whether he rather just build around Wiggins and LaVine. It isn't that clear at all, why do you act like Thad Young is a top 100 player in the league and the flexibility of an extra first round pick is a joke?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Because some people consider the future, in fact an immediate future in which we could lose the first round pick for nothing. A future that could have Flip weighing whether Rubio is worth the big price tag or whether he rather just build around Wiggins and LaVine.

-If we lose our pick, that's a good thing.
-If Flip is being conscious about the franchise's money relative to building the team the right way, that's a good thing.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Breakdown777
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#17 » by Breakdown777 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:19 am

Takingbaconback wrote:

Because some people consider the future, in fact an immediate future in which we could lose the first round pick for nothing. A future that could have Flip weighing whether Rubio is worth the big price tag or whether he rather just build around Wiggins and LaVine. It isn't that clear at all, why do you act like Thad Young is a top 100 player in the league and the flexibility of an extra first round pick is a joke?

I'd argue that Thad Young is a top 100 player. I mean, there are 150 starters in the NBA, and Thad probably fits in pretty close to the 100 spot. He might not be better than a third of NBA starters, but he's probably in that conversation.

Won't we lose that 1st round pick eventually, or does it turn into a 2nd? Either way, I'm tired of losing and hoarding post lottery 1sts. I want to at least appear competitive, it keeps the Rookies motivated, and convinces soon to be FA to stick around.
"Llevaré mi talento a Minnesota".
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:20 am

Klomp wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:Because some people consider the future, in fact an immediate future in which we could lose the first round pick for nothing. A future that could have Flip weighing whether Rubio is worth the big price tag or whether he rather just build around Wiggins and LaVine.

-If we lose our pick, that's a good thing.
-If Flip is being conscious about the franchise's money relative to building the team the right way, that's a good thing.

Well I see Wolves losing the first round pick for nothing as it stands and that is not a good thing. I never see losing a pick as a good thing.

I don't see how he's being conscious about the franchise's money, wolves have to pay 9 million to Thad Young. Worst part is that he holds the player option so wolves have no idea whether we will have to commit another 9 million or not. Thad Young sucks, he stays and wolves have to pay him. Thad Young is suddenly a shooter he has never been in his career, he opts out and wolves have to overpay for him for one year that could have been a fluke. Or wolves let him go to another team. Thad Young is absolutely mediocre and whether he stays or goes, that is a loss.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am

Takingbaconback wrote:I don't see how he's being conscious about the franchise's money, wolves have to pay 9 million to Thad Young. Worst part is that he holds the player option so wolves have no idea whether we will have to commit another 9 million or not. Thad Young sucks, he stays and wolves have to pay him. Thad Young is suddenly a shooter he has never been in his career, he opts out and wolves have to overpay for him for one year that could have been a fluke. Or wolves let him go to another team. Thad Young is absolutely mediocre and whether he stays or goes, that is a loss.

I was talking about Rubio.

Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 am

Breakdown777 wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:

I'd argue that Thad Young is a top 100 player. I mean, there are 150 starters in the NBA, and Thad probably fits in pretty close to the 100 spot. He might not be better than a third of NBA starters, but he's probably in that conversation.

Won't we lose that 1st round pick eventually, or does it turn into a 2nd? Either way, I'm tired of losing and hoarding post lottery 1sts. I want to at least appear competitive, it keeps the Rookies motivated, and convinces soon to be FA to stick around.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... position/c

Look through the positions. He might not even make 150 top players in the NBA.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves