ImageImageImage

$6.3M TRADE EXCEPTION, what does it mean?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BCP27
Sophomore
And1: 29

Re: $6.3M TRADE EXCEPTION, what does it mean? 

Post#21 » by BCP27 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:21 pm

gold0259 wrote:Is the general opinion here just to get rid of JJ barea? Like get rid of him for 2nd round draft picks, or is there hope he's worth more? Or just get him off the squad?

Well, if we can GET more for him than some token picks, we'd like that. If we have to dump him for 2nd rounders or similar small time stuff, so be it. We don't need him on the team right now, and I'm sure some team would like a heat check guard on their bench.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#22 » by Takingbaconback » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:21 pm

gold0259 wrote:Which Wing

Idk Flip mentioned that anybody on the roster can be traded for the right deal so I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Martin, Brewer, and Budinger were all dangled at the deadline to see what teams would give for them.
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#23 » by Ice32 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:46 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
gold0259 wrote:Which Wing

Idk Flip mentioned that anybody on the roster can be traded for the right deal so I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Martin, Brewer, and Budinger were all dangled at the deadline to see what teams would give for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brewer is traded, theres no need for him here now with this collection of young guys - Wiggins needs 30 mpg, Chase if healthy should play 20 mpg, Martin is the starting SG at 30 mpg, then you have Bazz, Lavine, Hummel getting left over mins. Where does Brewer fit on this roster??? He came here with the idea that Wolves would be Playoff contenders, Flip gave him 14/3 - and now he's kind of the odd man out. He's not a great 3PT shooter, his transition buckets go down now with no Love outlet passes, I assume he's coming off the bench this year. I just think someone like the Clippers could use him well, Doc Rivers did push for him 3 years ago when the Knicks cut him after the Melo trade.

Brewer for Dudley?
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#24 » by jade_hippo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:46 am

Brewer can fit on any roster, high energy hustle and can occasionally get hot. I'd like to keep him. Bud/Martin/JJ/even Baz should go before him. Hummel is an end of the bench and probably doesn't need to be considered for much, he can be cut with little repercussion.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#25 » by Streakers33 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:52 am

We set guys. JJ probably staying. As third string pg. we need to remember that injuries happen. And u need 3 pg. if we wanna be competitive like flip does. We gotta be ready for injuries. If we have non and jj doesn't see then court. We won't bitch. If we so have injuries and we need a guy to keep us going jj can. Sadly. We hate jj. But in theory who gonna play point if Rubio is out. And mo starts. Who gonna sub. We got our 15. I'm pretty sure we done moving guys. But who knows with flip, right?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#26 » by Worm Guts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:01 am

jade_hippo wrote:Brewer can fit on any roster, high energy hustle and can occasionally get hot. I'd like to keep him. Bud/Martin/JJ/even Baz should go before him. Hummel is an end of the bench and probably doesn't need to be considered for much, he can be cut with little repercussion.

I like what Brewer brought last year, but it might make sense to trade him if we want to get a look at Shabazz or Robinson. Also last year was the first year Brewer had an above league average scoring efficiency, and that might have been partially due to Kevin Love's outlet passes. He might not be the same player without him.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#27 » by ace625214 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:36 am

Esohny wrote:
ace625214 wrote:
gold0259 wrote:Can you trade the exception for a future 1st round pick?

Nope.

Also, here is something for everyone to keep in mind: since we used part of the MLE to sign Mo Williams, we are committing to being an over-the-cap team for this season. That doesn't mean we can't go under the salary cap, but it means we cannot sign a player using cap space until next season. Fortunately, I don't see any way we end up with a bunch of cap to sign anyone worthwhile, and there aren't really any prize FAs left anyway.

Pretty sure that the Wolves could use it to absorb a player in a salary dump and could receive a pick at the same time as payment though.

Yes, but Flip wants cap space next season. The only guys at this point in FA that he could get in a salary dump would be multi-year contracts. That's a no go if Flip wants to make a run at Thompson or a similar player. The only way I can see the TPE being used is if Minnesota is somehow in the playoff hunt near the deadline and needs another player.
YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#28 » by YaleS » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 am

Streakers33 wrote:We set guys. JJ probably staying. As third string pg. we need to remember that injuries happen. And u need 3 pg. if we wanna be competitive like flip does. We gotta be ready for injuries. If we have non and jj doesn't see then court. We won't bitch. If we so have injuries and we need a guy to keep us going jj can. Sadly. We hate jj. But in theory who gonna play point if Rubio is out. And mo starts. Who gonna sub. We got our 15. I'm pretty sure we done moving guys. But who knows with flip, right?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Why not slide Zach at the backup 1, he said numerous times he wants/can play the pg. Plus if this scenario happens we`ll see what he can do running the offesnse. Also worth mentioning that he can play the 1 even if there are other injuries on the wings, cuz we are very deep there.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,718

Post#29 » by slicedbread2 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
jade_hippo wrote:Brewer can fit on any roster, high energy hustle and can occasionally get hot. I'd like to keep him. Bud/Martin/JJ/even Baz should go before him. Hummel is an end of the bench and probably doesn't need to be considered for much, he can be cut with little repercussion.

I like what Brewer brought last year, but it might make sense to trade him if we want to get a look at Shabazz or Robinson. Also last year was the first year Brewer had an above league average scoring efficiency, and that might have been partially due to Kevin Love's outlet passes. He might not be the same player without him.

I'd send him to Houston or New Orleans. Personally, I want to see the young guns given as much playing time as possible. To me, I'd do 2 deals involving Brew-crew at the deadline or before the year starts:

deal 1:

Houston: Corey Brewer
Charlotte: Alonzo Gee
Minnesota: Gary Neal(bought out), 2 seconds(CHA 2015 second and second owed to Houston returned(lower of DEN and MIN)

Rockets are looking for depth and getting Brewer to backup Harden and Ariza works well plus he will opt-out anyway considering the T-Wolves are going to be rebuilding/retooling. Charlotte wants out of Neal's deal and he's an expiring and Gee is non-guaranteed so he can be cut. Minnesota gets picks they could use as assets to stockpile for a future deal.

deal 2:

New Orleans: Corey Brewer, J.J. Barea, Kevin Martin. I'd try and dump Chase too on them if they want him
Minnesota: Eric Gordon

New Orleans wants out of Gordon's deal plus he no longer fits the team's long-term plans. They get better fits on the team with K-Mart as a 6th man and Barea as a backup. Minnesota takes a crack at the barrel on Gordon to see if he can redeem his value. If he can't, he becomes a useful expiring.

That's what I'd try to do personally. I'd even ship him to the Clippers if you can get a first for him with Dudley coming the other way.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#30 » by Feilong » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:03 pm

^
It is good than you are not our GM.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#31 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Trying to figure out what trading Brewer has to do with the TPE we just got...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#32 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm

T.Prince (exp) for K.Martin.

or

T.Prince (exp) for Budinger (exp-PO-5M$) and Barea (Exp)

1 trade (Get rid of K.Martin contract, 3 years left for a expiring)

Rubio - Mo Williams (exp) - Barea (exp)
Z.Lavine - Brewer (exp-PO) - Budinger (exp-PO)
Wiggins - Bazz - Prince (exp)
T.Young - Benett - Hummel (exp)
Pekovic - Dieng - Turiaf (exp)

2 trade (We give away 2 contracts, 1 expiring and 1expiring with a PO. Open a spot for GRIII.)

Rubio - Mo Williams (exp)
Z.Lavine - K.Martin - Brewer (exp-PO)
Wiggins - Bazz - Prince (exp) - GRIII
T.Young - Benett - Hummel (exp)
Pekovic - Dieng - Turiaf (exp)

I prefer the 1st trade. But the 7.7 M$ expiring contract of T.Prince is nice into to next season.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#33 » by Worm Guts » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Dumping Martin's contract may make sense in the long term, but it feels like a tank move. We've only got 2 players with a true SG skill set, and Lavine's not ready to start.
I think we could dump Budinger or Brewer while doing less immediate damage to the team. Brewer would probably be the easier one to move.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#34 » by guest81 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:59 pm

It means Glen doesn't have to worry about selling another pick to make that next months boat payment! (who are we kidding, he'll sell one anyway)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves