ImageImageImage

Post-Love Trades

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post-Love Trades 

Post#1 » by Note30 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Corey Brewer to the Blazers for Joel Freeland, Will Barton, and 2015 first round draft pick

Can never have to many backup centers, Barton played well in the playoffs, and we get a 1st rounder for next year, with both freeland and barton expiring.

Kevin Martin to Dallas for Brandon Wright, Ricky Ledo, and 2015 1st and 2015 2nd.

BWright is an expiring with playoff experience a decent locker room guy. Ledo is a decent prospect, and 1st and 2nd's never hurt.

Chase Budinger and JJ Barea to Memphis for Tayshaun Prince and a 2016 1st round pick (protected for memphis (1-15)
Clear up that log-jam and add another veteran with championship experience.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Re: Post-Love Trades 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

We don't have the roster space to take back more players than we give up and I don't think any of Brewer, Martin, Budinger, or Barea bring back a first round pick. Not even a heavily protected one.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#3 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Spoiler:
Worm Guts wrote:We don't have the roster space to take back more players than we give up and I don't think any of Brewer, Martin, Budinger, or Barea bring back a first round pick. Not even a heavily protected one.

I think legit contenders wont blink to give up a first for 2 years of kmart or brewer if they need outside shooting or an athletic hustling defensive player. I could definitely see Mark Cuban making such a move and teams like cavs, bulls, thunder, clips would be more than happy to add Kmart/Brewer for a late first round pick. Budinger needs to show hes healthy and barea goes for 2nd rounder at best.
Varejao17
Rookie
And1: 165

Post#4 » by Varejao17 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:39 pm

I can only think about getting rid of JJ Barra ASAP...
props to C.lupus
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:
Spoiler:
Worm Guts wrote:We don't have the roster space to take back more players than we give up and I don't think any of Brewer, Martin, Budinger, or Barea bring back a first round pick. Not even a heavily protected one.

I think legit contenders wont blink to give up a first for 2 years of kmart or brewer if they need outside shooting or an athletic hustling defensive player. I could definitely see Mark Cuban making such a move and teams like cavs, bulls, thunder, clips would be more than happy to add Kmart/Brewer for a late first round pick. Budinger needs to show hes healthy and barea goes for 2nd rounder at best.

K-Mart has 3 years on his contract, maybe we could get a first for him depending on the filler we took back but I don't think we're trading him anyway. If we're looking to be somewhat competitive as a team we'll need his outside shooting.
I think we could trade Brewer, but I don't think he brings back a first round pick. I'd just be looking to cut a year off the contract. We don't need to be paying both Brewer and Budinger for the next 2 seasons.
Ice32
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#6 » by Ice32 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:40 pm

I agree that 2 of Chase, Brewer, JJ and Martin will be going - these guys deserve 20-30 mpg, but with the young pups coming on board, it simply wont happen. Anyone who thinks that JJ is happy being a 3rd string PG getting DNP-CD is nuts, the guy will sulk.

Brewer would be handy on a contending team and Im pretty sure a few teams would be interested.

Martin is tough because of his contract, but he can certainly help out a team needing points in the backcourt

Chase is just too injury prone for teams to trade him straight up, if healthy he would be a good bench guy.

Looking at our current roster we need 3PT shooters (assuming Chase/Martin were traded).
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#7 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Martin/Chase/Brewer for Eric Gordon & Babbit (waived)

Cuts Martin's 3rd year, creates room for Shabazz & GRIII.

Rubio/Mo/JJ
Gordon/LaVine
Wiggins/Bazz/GRIII
Young/Bennet/Hummel
Pek/Dieng/Ronny
kbrow20
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#8 » by kbrow20 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:
Spoiler:

I personally don't see Cuban trading for Kmart or Brewer. We are locked in at the wing. The only way I can see Cuban taking Martin is if you take Felton.
RightToCensor wrote:Rubio is just too damn inefficient to be a team's primary option for offense. He needs to play in a system offense for you to get the best out of him. Trade him to New York, Dallas, or any other team that could use a poor-man's Rajon Rondo.
Really LOL
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#9 » by Sugarless » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:03 pm

You have to be realistic. We shouldn't expect any more big moves involving above average players or guys committed long term on big contracts, but rather spare parts that might fit our bench (an extra shooter/rebounder) or some cap relief for next summer in exchange for Brewer or Bud.

And I think that's fine, we have a nice rotation that we just need to tweak a little bit and we'll go into the season with a roster that will make sense and will allow us to pursue our main goal, which is to develop our young guys while remaining competitive enough to win some games and not to be a bottom feeder.

The key to me is to acknowledge that we have those weaknesses and that it's going to be much more difficult to reach our goals if we don't address them. Not only is there a big difference going forward between a 25 and a 35 wins team, but also between being able to put your young guys in a position to succeed (by having a team able to spread the floor for everyone, or securing rebounds so we can get in transition) or forcing them into a situation where they get stuck, they can't play to their strengths and the loses start piling up while everyone's morale goes down.

I really, really hope that we are not content with just dealing away Barea for a 2nd rounder or buying him out.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#10 » by SO_MONEY » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Sugarless wrote:You have to be realistic. We shouldn't expect any more big moves involving above average players or guys committed long term on big contracts, but rather spare parts that might fit our bench (an extra shooter/rebounder) or some cap relief for next summer in exchange for Brewer or Bud.

And I think that's fine, we have a nice rotation that we just need to tweak a little bit and we'll go into the season with a roster that will make sense and will allow us to pursue our main goal, which is to develop our young guys while remaining competitive enough to win some games and not to be a bottom feeder.

The key to me is to acknowledge that we have those weaknesses and that it's going to be much more difficult to reach our goals if we don't address them. Not only is there a big difference going forward between a 25 and a 35 wins team, but also between being able to put your young guys in a position to succeed (by having a team able to spread the floor for everyone, or securing rebounds so we can get in transition) or forcing them into a situation where they get stuck, they can't play to their strengths and the loses start piling up while everyone's morale goes down.

I really, really hope that we are not content with just dealing away Barea for a 2nd rounder or buying him out.

Bud and/or Brewer have opt outs, I don't see us dealing them for space, not until the off-season anyways. In season I would bet it would take something they view as better. They will get what they can for JJ and see if they can find a taker for Martin. They may also not be interested in space as space could be hard to find with possible cap holds for Rubio, Young and a draft pick. They may elect to use a combination of our players to take a "bad" contract and absorb an asset into the TPE or similar. That might be something closer to the E. Gordon route, if, and only if, N.O. had an asset to include for us taking Gordon.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#11 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Sugarless wrote:I really, really hope that we are not content with just dealing away Barea for a 2nd rounder or buying him out.

So you want to keep him?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Northern hoops
Senior
And1: 217

Post#12 » by Northern hoops » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Eric Gordon (1st?) for KMart and Budinger
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Note30 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:44 pm

Northern hoops wrote:Eric Gordon (1st?) for KMart and Budinger

NOP probably doesn't have any more picks to give lol
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#14 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:49 pm

Sugarless wrote:I really, really hope that we are not content with just dealing away Barea for a 2nd rounder or buying him out.

I'd gladly trade Barea AND a 2nd rounder for a burrito and a sombrero.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#15 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Note30 wrote:
Northern hoops wrote:Eric Gordon (1st?) for KMart and Budinger

NOP probably doesn't have any more picks to give lol

Gordon without any picks is a solid return for us here.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#16 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:09 am

Turnover_21 wrote:Gordon without any picks is a solid return for us here.

Not really.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#17 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:26 am

Klomp wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:Gordon without any picks is a solid return for us here.

Not really.

Why not though? Gordon and Martin are players of similar impact. Martin's contract is one year longer, Gordon is much more expensive but Budinger's contract eats the difference. Gordon is also much younger than Martin and can possibly be kept around as a sixth man after it expires in 2 years
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#18 » by LordBaldric » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 am

Klomp wrote:

So you want to keep him?

I think we should keep him suspended in a cage hanging over the court, and then at halftime hand out water balloons to the fans to throw at him.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Note30 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 am

LordBaldric wrote:
Klomp wrote:

So you want to keep him?

I think we should keep him suspended in a cage hanging over the court, and then at halftime hand out water balloons to the fans to throw at him.

LOL thats messed up man. I don't like the way he plays but its the coach who get heat for playing him the way he played him, not Barea who isn't good to begin with.

trevor0333
Senior
And1: 86

Post#20 » by trevor0333 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:16 am

Would anyone swap Barea/Bud for Mayo to open up a roster spot?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves