Zach Lavine: Steal of the Year?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Zach Lavine: Steal of the Year? 

Post#1 » by TwolvesFanRome » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myt7Hg8s4uw[/youtube]

According to you can be considered a steal?

I really like how he attacks, both in transition and in the dribble. It is clear that it is not a pg. He is explosive and very athletic. if he is governed by Flip for me he will entertain us.

What about his defense?
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
codigoman
Senior
And1: 321

Re: Zach Lavine: Steal of the Year? 

Post#2 » by codigoman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:57 pm

No one game, no one month, wait one season. Now I can tell you that Dieng was a steal.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by TwolvesFanRome » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:07 pm

codigoman wrote:No one game, no one month, wait one season. Now I can tell you that Dieng was a steal.

certainly codigo, it was just to talk about the player and make a thread personnel. Analyze together the first impressions of his choice. only this.
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:22 pm

He might not look like it this year but I think long term he has the potential to be one of the top players in this draft.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#5 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm

I think he has the chance to be a great player in positional basketball, as he showed certain flashes of patience in the shot selection and spot picking in summer league. And he can be a great attacker a la Westbrook, but not as good as Westbrook.

So I say poor man's Westbrook in terms of defending and attacking (with a lot worse driving), but better than Westbrook in half court offense.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#6 » by Foye » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

C.lupus wrote:He might not look like it this year but I think long term he has the potential to be one of the top players in this draft.

Quality starter or absolute bust. I feel like there is no in between for him lol.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#7 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:06 pm

It's mesmerizing...

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#8 » by Feilong » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Wow, once upon a time i did the things that Lavine does. Later i woke up, what a beautiful dream.
karam1988
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#9 » by karam1988 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:17 pm

if zach puts on some muscle, the only thing stopping him from being great is the right mentality
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#10 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Feilong wrote:Wow, once upon a time i did the things that Lavine does. Later i woke up, what a beautiful dream.

I can't even do that shiz in my dreams lol
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:42 pm

hard to say because it's so early, but if we're judging by summer league, he looks great so far. I wouldn't be surprised if TJ Warren is the rookie of the year though. He was maybe the best pure scorer in college last year and didn't look ready to slow up in summer league.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by TwolvesFanRome » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:01 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:hard to say because it's so early, but if we're judging by summer league, he looks great so far. I wouldn't be surprised if TJ Warren is the rookie of the year though. He was maybe the best pure scorer in college last year and didn't look ready to slow up in summer league.

TJW was underated...it's true...anyway I see in Zach the explosion, the boldness and the cockiness caused by the age that may be do a fresh plug off the bench.

(I hope I have written correctly and clear)

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#13 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 am

Zach has a lot more tools then people give him credit for. He just needs to polish those tools. He is already an elite level athlete. Once he refines his handle, gets consistency in his jumper, and bulks up he could be a really special player. I think at worst we could see him turn into a Gerald Green, or JR Smith type of player. His ceiling is probably Vince Carter.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#14 » by Saltine » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 am

The cockiness of a fresh plug... no one has said that before :P

I think you meant 'spark', not 'plug' ;)
"...spark off the bench."
"...spark plug off the bench." works as well.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#15 » by Sugarless » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 am

karam1988 wrote:if zach puts on some muscle, the only thing stopping him from being great is the right mentality

This is what worries me a bit about Zach. I know everybody wants to love these guys and that they'll get a pass because they're just kids, but I've always been wary of players who seem excessively cocky and not too mature. I don't think he's a bad kid by any means, but I just hope he proves to be humble enough to work his butt off and accept whatever challenges come at him during his first years as a pro.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by TwolvesFanRome » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 am

Saltine wrote:The cockiness of a fresh plug... no one has said that before :P

I think you meant 'spark', not 'plug' ;)
"...spark off the bench."
"...spark plug off the bench." works as well.

:-? :-? :-?

Yes...this was what I wanted to write. when I do not know the words help me with google translate. damn google. :banghead: ahahahhahahah :)

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#17 » by C.lupus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:54 pm

IDK, I kind of like having a fresh plug off the bench. :dontknow:
Sammyzuko
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#18 » by Sammyzuko » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Sugarless wrote:
karam1988 wrote:if zach puts on some muscle, the only thing stopping him from being great is the right mentality

This is what worries me a bit about Zach. I know everybody wants to love these guys and that they'll get a pass because they're just kids, but I've always been wary of players who seem excessively cocky and not too mature. I don't think he's a bad kid by any means, but I just hope he proves to be humble enough to work his butt off and accept whatever challenges come at him during his first years as a pro.

He's got attitude, but from what I've seen in interviews he's surprisingly respectful and humble. I've also seen reports that he's been working very hard this summer. So far he's done everything we could ask for.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#19 » by MinneOOPalis » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Zach is like a lot of guys on our team, competitive and confident on the court, but off the court they are very laid back and respectful.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#20 » by Sugarless » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Sammyzuko wrote:
Sugarless wrote:

He's got attitude, but from what I've seen in interviews he's surprisingly respectful and humble. I've also seen reports that he's been working very hard this summer. So far he's done everything we could ask for.

Of course, so far so good. All he's shown has been enthusiasm and the disposition to work hard, and that's what you should expect from a rookie that was drafted just 2 months ago. It's just that I'm not totally confident about his demeanor when he faces circumstances that he might not like (i.e. playing less than he thought he would, or if he gets an earful from someone in the coaching staff).

We don't know if such situations will happen at all, but if they do I sure hope he proves those doubts wrong and that his cockyness fuels him to become a better player, instead of leading him the wrong way.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves